Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I read where an extended warrant could be purchased for around 1,000 dollars. The salesperson quoted me a price of 1,848 for 3 years. Is this about right for an extended warranty?

·
Registered
931 Posts
It is highly variable and can generally be heavily negotiated. Best plan, IMO, is to say no from the start and let them drop it to try and get your money. Many have benefited and many have not from the warranty. I personally did not opt for it because the warranty process can be prolonged and torturous. I have not regretted that decision on my two machines. Just use the hell out of it while in factory warranty to wring out the issues. Times have changed, but the going rate a few years ago seemed to be about $1500 for 4 years. Your mileage may vary......

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is highly variable and can generally be heavily negotiated. Best plan, IMO, is to say no from the start and let them drop it to try and get your money. Many have benefited and many have not from the warranty. I personally did not opt for it because the warranty process can be prolonged and torturous. I have not regretted that decision on my two machines. Just use the hell out of it while in factory warranty to wring out the issues. Times have changed, but the going rate a few years ago seemed to be about $1500 for 4 years. Your mileage may vary......
I am buying the car from a dealer that wont be the one doing warranty work if needed. As such, they are not too likely to negotiate. Good advice on the shake down cruise under the factory warranty. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
for the Rmax I paid roughly 1k for the YES warranty.

·
Registered
331 Posts
bought mine 2 months after i purchased the car, negotiated it down to 900 bucks
warranty is EXTREMELY dependent on the dealership doing the warranty work. many will use any excuse under the sun to avoid a claim (a taller tire creates more stress on CVs and therefore can void any drivetrain failures for example)
some are better than others
but i wouldnt stress about it. most of the yxzs out there are trouble free with high miles. just take care of it and it will be relilable. beat it and throw it in the garage wet and it will fail just like any other motor vehcile.

·
Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
412 Posts
Like Gump I bought my 4 year YES (Yamaha Extended Service) off ebay for just under $1k. Dealership in CO is the seller IIRC.

Seemed pretty sketchy at first. Found out its completely above board, its valid at any Yamaha dealer. Also can be transferred if you sell. Quite a few users have had very good luck getting stuff fixed under the YES warranty as opposed to some who have had issues with other aftermarket warranties.

Just my 02 worth. YMMV.

Nate

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am buying the car from a dealer that wont be the one doing warranty work if needed. As such, they are not too likely to negotiate. Good advice on the shake down cruise under the factory warranty. Thanks.
The dealer makes something off the price of warranty they sell you.

They should be more likely to. If they can make an extra dollar why not and never see you again either.

·
Registered
2021 SS SE
38 Posts
I'm interested in what issues have been covered by these warranties and which issues were not covered. Is this warranty more than just "peace of mind"; ie., they actually cover stuff?

·
Registered
43 Posts
First off, I understand that many have been greatly helped by buying the warranty.
Secondly, many bought the warranty and never used it.
Undoubtedly more didn’t use it than did. The proof is in the big building that the insurance company owns.
It’s a roll of the dice with the edge to the insurance company 😉

1 - 12 of 12 Posts