Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Reference post #6 in this link.

Anyone else that’s done an oil cooler setup, do you have any info/pics to share?

Any issues with engine oil flow? Did the kit all fit under the bed and everything kept stock? Where did you tap in for fan power? Fan on all time or switched? Any part#s/links/etc.

Thank you!

·
Registered
77 Posts
That was my post a while back. I ran that cooler setup on my short course race machine for 2 full seasons, somewhere around 20 races I would guess. There was absolutely no flow restrictions mounted horizontally using the same line size as the OEM hard lines. I did not run a bed as it was deleted for racing. The key would be to make sure you have space/air flow available to pass through the cooler via the fans. Ran wires directly to the battery terminals with the hot side inline fused and toggle switched on the cubby hole face place where I have my mechanical gauges.

The cooler was ordered through Summit Racing. Pick your line size, believe I went with AN10 fittings to barbed hose.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When I build my turbo setup next winter, I plan on running an oil cooler between turbo outlet and oil sump to help keep that oil cool. Going to build a duct coming off the passenger side body scoop to route air over it and I have a dedicated turbo oil return in the sump I designed. I didn't consider putting one between the engine oil cooler and sump though, but that's probably also a good idea.

Edit: After looking at the oil system some more, I may just run the turbo back into the engine oil to be cooled through the engine oil cooler then place the external oil cooler between engine oil cooler and oil sump.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I build my turbo setup next winter, I plan on running an oil cooler between turbo outlet and oil sump to help keep that oil cool. Going to build a duct coming off the passenger side body scoop to route air over it and I have a dedicated turbo oil return in the sump I designed. I didn't consider putting one between the engine oil cooler and sump though, but that's probably also a good idea.

Edit: After looking at the oil system some more, I may just run the turbo back into the engine oil to be cooled through the engine oil cooler then place the external oil cooler between engine oil cooler and oil sump.
On my turbo YXZ I went with a turbo that uses a water feed/circulation line to help keep the turbo from cooking the oil in the bearing cartridge. So far it seems like a valid option to give more longevity to the turbo. Got 2 full years of nearly year round use on it. last time I checked the wheel I didn't notice any play, hopefully that continues to be the case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts