Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, any advice on what a safe offer would be on a 2016 YXZ Limited with clutch issues that has been sitting for at least 2 years? This also has a long pass due lien on it and the finance company wants to repossess but would consider a buy off offer....the actual balance of the loan is more than what it's worth even if it was running but they may consider a lower number. They know by the time they pay to have is repossessed and the low value a non-running machine with unknown history would bring at an auction......

Generally I wouldn't touch something like this with a 10 foot pole but there are some special circumstances regarding a death, estate settlement issues, and I know the history of the machine since new,etc...and the clutch went out shortly before the death is why it's been sitting.

It has the GYTR 70/30 gear reduction and Rekluse clutch. Not sure of the miles or hours but it hasn't been run in at least 2 years so would expect those to be low.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Seems to me that 7.5K would be a reasonable place to be, assuming the motor is good and it is a simple clutch replacement. If you convert it back from the Rekluse to normal, that's a couple hundred bucks and a few hours of work.

Reactions: Nasty

·
Registered
54 Posts
So long story short, any advice on what a safe offer would be on a 2016 YXZ Limited with clutch issues that has been sitting for at least 2 years? This also has a long pass due lien on it and the finance company wants to repossess but would consider a buy off offer....the actual balance of the loan is more than what it's worth even if it was running but they may consider a lower number. They know by the time they pay to have is repossessed and the low value a non-running machine with unknown history would bring at an auction......

Generally I wouldn't touch something like this with a 10 foot pole but there are some special circumstances regarding a death, estate settlement issues, and I know the history of the machine since new,etc...and the clutch went out shortly before the death is why it's been sitting.

It has the GYTR 70/30 gear reduction and Rekluse clutch. Not sure of the miles or hours but it hasn't been run in at least 2 years so would expect those to be low.
You couldn't even pay me to take it but that's my opinion.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Can you check it out before making an offer? You can still put it in neutral and start it. Check the oil and let it warm up. Make sure rodents didn’t chew on stuff/electrical works. The clutch going out is a very common problem and not really a big deal. Its mostly caused by slow, stop and go riding where your constantly clutching it. Usually thats why guys get the lower gears and rekluse clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To answer some of the posts above:

There are no concerns with properly obtaining the title as this would go through an estate attorney and lien holder directly. I know the history of the machine since new as it was owned by an acquaintance of mine that passed away. We used to go on rides together and I've actually driven this machine several times in the past, but I don't know the exact symptoms or circumstances of the clutch issue, just that last time I looked at it the engine would start but the clutch would not engage. Because of typical issues with estates and the pandemic delaying everything it has been sitting in a building for 2 years now. I would require an inspection of the machine before finalizing the deal as I'm also concerned with engines seizing and rodents chewing up wiring. I consider myself a decent mechanic so the thought of diagnosing and repairing the clutch issues doesn't bother me at all.

I should also add this has at least $1,600 in aftermarket tires and wheels on it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
7k or less. 2016 is the least desirable year, not that anything is wrong with them, but 2017 they upgraded bearing assemblies, and then 2019 had the better updates. my 2016 was problem free for years, but considering its been sitting, id confirm everything else works as stated. wheels and tires is a wash, stock tires are junk anyways, and if its been sitting for 2 years then those tires are probably trash too. just my .02

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sounds like at a minimum your going to need 900.00 for tires+ a new clutch, new fluids and filter that’s a minimum of 1500.00. Factor in another 500 for unknowns. I wouldn’t be willing to gamble more than 6500. They won’t get that price at auction..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imagine a mobile home sitting unoccupied for 2 years… it ain’t gonna be pretty inside. Machines are meant to be operated that’s their natural environment… take them out of that and things stop working as intended.. like airplanes are meant to be in the air (their natural environment, put them on the ground and they break)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I feel anything under $8k you could at least get your money back in parting it out worse case if motor runs, be a pain but possible. Around me at least 2016 lower miles mostly stock machines go from $10-12k. If you arent planning on reselling and can get it cheap enough I would take a shop at it. Knowing the last owner and how it was treated is a big plus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As an update I am not getting this machine. After initially being told by the attorney the banks or repo company will often work out a deal, this particular lien holder would not budge on the current outstanding loan amount which was almost $16k, then also said it had been turned over to a repo company but would not provide a contact there and not notices had been served. Obviously not going to pay $16k for a non-running machine that has been sitting for years, and not jumping through any more hoops. I would be halfway curious to see what they get out of it at auction but have no clue where it might end up......and just can't imagine somebody would be willing to pay much for a non-running machine at a auction.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As an update I am not getting this machine. After initially being told by the attorney the banks or repo company will often work out a deal, this particular lien holder would not budge on the current outstanding loan amount which was almost $16k, then also said it had been turned over to a repo company but would not provide a contact there and not notices had been served. Obviously not going to pay $16k for a non-running machine that has been sitting for years, and not jumping through any more hoops. I would be halfway curious to see what they get out of it at auction but have no clue where it might end up......and just can't imagine somebody would be willing to pay much for a non-running machine at a auction.
It would save you money to buy a new one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts