Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 16 a few months ago and still haven’t registered it because I don’t know what to do on the title. The guy I bought it from never registered it, therefore it’s still in the first owners name.. (I’m the third owner) what should I do? Thanks

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Are you going to license it for the street? If so, Your Motor vehicle department will tell you what to do. If just for an off road sticker, Your BLM office can do it with the Vin number. Call or get on Yamaha's website and put it in your name for recalls. That's all I can think of. I recommend insuring it for at least liability. If you hurt someone with it, they will sue you and it gets expensive real quick. Hope that helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m just wanting to register it since it’s illegal not to and this will also allow me to ride on the county roads in some counties in my state.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I bought a 16 a few months ago and still haven’t registered it because I don’t know what to do on the title. The guy I bought it from never registered it, therefore it’s still in the first owners name.. (I’m the third owner) what should I do? Thanks
That could be sticky..... I personally would have made the previous owner get the title straight before purchasing. Outstanding liens would be my biggest concern. Not sure how you can check that without just going into the local MVD and asking for help. Good luck and interested to hear how it turns out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Every state is different. Some require you to attempt to contact the original owner by certified mail to straighten it out. There can be other hoops to jump through, including contacting old lien holders. I have a friend who went through this on a motocross motorcycle. It took about 6 months, some letters and about $100 in Arizona. He said he will never buy again without a free and clear title.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
When you go to register it with the off road tag, and it clears, your good to go for your riding. If it comes up stolen, your screwed but hopefully not!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Should be able to just go to motor vehicle department witb bill of sale/purchase and title and they should be ablt ot issue new title in your name with proper paperwork from person you purchased it from, that might now entail his proof of purchase from first owner since he never registered it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts