So, fixed the mistake I made mounting the fire extinguisher. When I had done my layout I had put a reference line on the downtube. When I was drilling my mounts I used my reference line instead of the mount centerline.
Better... the location is to keep it from getting hit by branches, etc.
Since I'm out of Argon till next week I went ahead and installed the lightbar. The decision to mount it on the roof instead of on the front tube was to keep the glare off the hood. Moving it back puts the hood in shadow.
So now its just down to fully welding the rear tubes and tabs. Then grinding down any offensive welds.
Last step will be making sure any Sharpie marks are sanded off. Depending on the prep process used by the powdercoat company Sharpie marks can telegraph thru the finish.
Almost finished... Down to welding tabs and grinding ugly welds.
Changed my mind on the lightbar mount tabs. Decided to use large tabs, just because. Since these were mounted on the radius I added a slight bend to the tabs before welding. I left the center 3/4" flat and bent the ends down to fit the tube.
Took sometime to figure out where to put the helmet hangars. Flash of inspiration (aka, SWMBO told me to). Mounted them to the front cross tube.
Mirrors are another pair of large tabs.
The rest are just camera mounts, and the rear lightbar (back up light). I also modified the large tab i used for whip mounts.
So, down to 2 pieces of tube for the Tusk overhead bag and Rugged Radios intercom. Probably add 4 tabs for the side velcro tabs on the bag and call it ready for powdercoat.
Had a few minutes today so I added the two tubes and tabs for the Tusk overhead bag and Rugged Radios intercom.
I also added two tabs for domelights.
With this done all I have left are finishing a couple of fillets on the rear tubes and the anti-intrusion bars.
With a little luck it'll be off to powdercoat by this weekend.
While all this is going on I went ahead and rewired all the accessories. Part of this was replacing the seperate relay block and fuse block with a single unit.
By switching to micro relays in a Bussmann 5 relay, 10 fuse block i was able to tuck it behind the driver where the seat belt used to sit.
Well thats enough for tonight. Time for Two Women, or maybe a Fat Squirrel. LOL.
So, since I know your all on tenterhooks about this cage...
Final welds are done. I did grind the welds on the bungs back to flat to check for porosity and voids (none found). Then laid a heavy W weave back on top of the existing welds.
Where I had drilled into the cage to run wires I added reinforcement. It will make adding split o-ring grommets more difficult, but oh well.
Where the downtubes on the rear of the cage tie in I added tacos that I fabbed up from 12 ga mild steel. Since these are really more ornamental than functional I ground the welds smooth.
The tacos also reinforce the area where I drilled to pass the wiring harness into the cage.
The last thing I did before calling it a night was connect a vacuum to the hole for the wiring harness and make sure that I had good suction at all the points I drilled for wires. Hate to find out after its powdercoated that I missed an internal pass thru.
So, all goes well, Wednesday I'll drop it off for powdercoat.