Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an Agency Supercharger. I took it for a ride after installing it and immediately knew it wasn't any faster. Maybe slower even. I bought a mechanical boost/vacuum gauge. I T'd it onto the vacuum line that comes off of the bypass valve which is mounted on the charge tube that connects to the intake manifold. When I start it and run it in idle it doesn't register any vacuum. When I give it a rev still nothing, no boost or vacuum readings. Is it a faulty gauge or do I have a major vacuum leak somewhere? In idle the rpms sit around 900 and jump about 300 every second or so. I've visually inspected all of the new vacuum line connections and don't see anything wrong. I don't have a vacuum line smoker but that might be my next step.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do they give any kind of instruction or photos on how to hook up and plumb that supercharger kit? Doesn’t sound like you have your gauge tied into a good spot for vacuum/boost reference. Is there a place on the manifold you can go directly into? I have the Packard Supercharger, and my boost gauge is mounted directly into my manifold. Also seems like either your blow off valve is stuck open, or you’re missing something in line from the blow off valve to the manifold... mine uses a MAC boost valve that activated by the ECU and throttle position sensor... I know many people have had issues with that Agency kit, but hopefully you can get it to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
A friend of mine had that kit, and he said on the bottom of the trident intake there’s a nipple to get boost/vacuum readings from. Said you may need a reducer depending on the size of vacuum hose you’re using. That’s where Vivid racing was getting readings from with his on the dyno. Also, check the routing of your vacuum lines, he wasn’t making any boost either until he rechecked all the vacuum lines and found the line that tells the blow off to close was incorrectly routed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend of mine had that kit, and he said on the bottom of the trident intake there’s a nipple to get boost/vacuum readings from. Said you may need a reducer depending on the size of vacuum hose you’re using. That’s where Vivid racing was getting readings from with his on the dyno. Also, check the routing of your vacuum lines, he wasn’t making any boost either until he rechecked all the vacuum lines and found the line that tells the blow off to close was incorrectly routed.

I'll take a look. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do they give any kind of instruction or photos on how to hook up and plumb that supercharger kit? Doesn’t sound like you have your gauge tied into a good spot for vacuum/boost reference. Is there a place on the manifold you can go directly into? I have the Packard Supercharger, and my boost gauge is mounted directly into my manifold. Also seems like either your blow off valve is stuck open, or you’re missing something in line from the blow off valve to the manifold... mine uses a MAC boost valve that activated by the ECU and throttle position sensor... I know many people have had issues with that Agency kit, but hopefully you can get it to work

The directions do have a pretty detailed drawing showing how to plumb the vacuum lines. I have it hooked up they way they tell you to. I found a kink in the vacuum line to my boost gauge. I fixed that. Now it's reading 5 hg vacuum steady. When I rev it it'll go to 0 psi. No positive boost yet. They're sending me a new boost solenoid. Hoping that does it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll take a look. Thank you for the advice.
I just looked under the trident manifold for the connection you we're referring to. The only nipple I see is a larger nipple like you were saying, but in the instructions it tells you to attach a larger vacuum line to it that connects to the engine on the other side.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just looked under the trident manifold for the connection you we're referring to. The only nipple I see is a larger nipple like you were saying, but in the instructions it tells you to attach a larger vacuum line to it that connects to the engine on the other side.

Are you using it, or is it just blocked off?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No other bungs or nipples on that manifold? But I guess now that your gauge is working, shouldn’t matter anymore, unless where you’re tied into only reads vacuum, no boost

Yeah no other places to connect. I connected the gauge to the line between the bypass valve and the solenoid like they said. I hope it's just the solenoid. They're overnighting one to me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The directions do have a pretty detailed drawing showing how to plumb the vacuum lines. I have it hooked up they way they tell you to. I found a kink in the vacuum line to my boost gauge. I fixed that. Now it's reading 5 hg vacuum steady. When I rev it it'll go to 0 psi. No positive boost yet. They're sending me a new boost solenoid. Hoping that does it.
You are actually driving it, not just revving it in the garage, right? You will never make any boost just by revving the motor. You'll have to drive it and put load on it to get boost

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are actually driving it, not just revving it in the garage, right? You will never make any boost just by revving the motor. You'll have to drive it and put load on it to get boost
Yeah I'm driving it as well. Still no boost. But if you watch SXS Blog's YXZ Supercharger install video you'll see them revving it in the garage with the camera on the boost gauge and it shows a few pounds of boost on each rev.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Positive displacement Superchargers don’t need load to make boost, unlike a turbo. They’re dependent on rpm of the crank, not exhaust energy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a quick update. The replacement boost solenoid that they sent me didn't fix the problem. But it turns out the spring and spacer that are inside the bypass valve were installed backwards. I installed them correctly. I also tee'd the boost gauge into the large vacuum line in the bottom of the manifold. Now I'm finally getting some boost but only about 2-3 lbs when I take it for a ride. I actually get about 4-5 lbs when I rev it sitting still in neutral. They're sending me out a stiffer spring for the bypass because it's letting air bypass when it's just idling. Hopefully this will do the trick. I was already impressed with the performace at 2-3 lbs I can't wait to see what it'll do with 5-6 lbs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just a quick update. The replacement boost solenoid that they sent me didn't fix the problem. But it turns out the spring and spacer that are inside the bypass valve were installed backwards. I installed them correctly. I also tee'd the boost gauge into the large vacuum line in the bottom of the manifold. Now I'm finally getting some boost but only about 2-3 lbs when I take it for a ride. I actually get about 4-5 lbs when I rev it sitting still in neutral. They're sending me out a stiffer spring for the bypass because it's letting air bypass when it's just idling. Hopefully this will do the trick. I was already impressed with the performace at 2-3 lbs I can't wait to see what it'll do with 5-6 lbs.
I'm in the middle of the same install! Hadn't been good so far, but I am able to get a little
boost. Can send picks of how spliced into the vacuum under the manifold?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm in the middle of the same install! Hadn't been good so far, but I am able to get a little
Hey sorry I just saw your comment. Here's a pic showing where I connected my gauge line under the manifold. I have small hose clamps on all 3 lines now. I took this pic a few weeks ago. How's your install going so far? I finally got mine running pretty good. I'm getting 4.5lbs of boost. I also installed an AFR gauge and it's reading about 11.5 to 12 at WOT which is where they said it should be. I'm going riding this weekend so I can wind it out a little, finally. I'll let you know how it goes. 🤞

1 - 20 of 20 Posts