Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide between going with just a slip on, full exhaust or the SBD kit. On my 16 I had just a slip on and tune and it ripped compared to my stock 20. So looking to get my 20 to have the same zip that my 16 had, plus the sound of the stock exhaust just doesn't do it for me ;) So if your running the SBD kit what do you think? I don't really want it any louder, which is one of the things I like about the SBD, but I do want it to sound more like it has a set of balls instead of a castrated steer. My 16 had a ton more pull than my 20 does, do you notice the difference in how wide the powerband is and throttle response when you added the kit. Also my 16 seemed to run a lot smoother, does the tune for the SBD smooth it out? Anyone have a different exhaust besides stock before going to the SBD, which setup do you think is better. The one downfall to the SBD is you don't save all the weight you do when you remove the stock exhaust, but what is 20 pounds on a 1600lb machine.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I had Weller’s exhaust and tune but have since went back to the stock muffler as I couldn’t put up with the noise on extended rides . I still have the tune and it runs pretty good . The tune will be more noticeable than just adding a slip on in my opinion. There seems to be a big jump in noise between stock and any slip on that’s know about . They all get real loud at about 7k

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Oh I forgot I added the alba sparkarrester tip and it made a difference. In the future I will add the head pipe and air box spacer as alba shows good dyno numbers for the whole kit

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I meant to say I will be adding a slip on or full exhaust with a tune. Don't think I'd want to take a chance without doing mods without one!! Let's hear some more, right now I'm leaning towards the SBD, seems like the best bang for the money. How's the sound with the Alba spark arrester? Does it have more of a mean sound to it?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
It’s got a good sound , it’s a littles louder and deeper . That SBD kit has good hp gain and for me the extra power from a much louder exhaust isn’t. Worth it to me .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes we usually do just a little over 100 miles which takes pretty much the whole day. I wear ear plugs or my ear buds. Too loud for me even stock not to. Knowing how much better the Yxz runs and how much more throttle response and larger power band you have by doing the tune and exhaust, at least for me, it is almost disappointing to ride it without. I know for me I'll suffer through a little more noise to get the extra performance. That is why the SBD setup is where I'm leaning, only 4db louder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with Sandman, I didn't want the exhaust to be too loud, The SBD and airbox mod I did really helped the YXZ come to life. The tune did smooth out the power band and the extra low end was a welcome addition to my 2016. Any louder than my SBD would be more than I could tolerate. I feel like my purchase was a good value.

·
Registered
2017 YXZ1000R SS SE, DMC Afterburner Comp.Exhaust, Graves plates, FTECU, Custom Cage, Roof, LT Bar
18 Posts
I bought my 2017 with the DMC Afterburner dual kit and added the Graves full system tune through the FTECU Tuner. It runs great but the noise is painful after about 20 minutes.

It does sound great from a distance though.

I am looking into the silent core inserts that DMC sells in hopes it will quiet it down without loosing all the power gain from the Exhaust and tune

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Think what you had was same as Weller’s and I bought the inserts and it still got on my nerves after a while . The sound is those twin pipes make is the coolest bit it gets old when you can’t hear your intercom

·
Registered
295 Posts
The YZX has plenty of power for me - a 58 yr old.
20 more horsepower won't change my rides. If my GF had a say, she would kink the header pipe and make it slower.
I would like to get a reflash to get the thing running cooler, etc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I do all my riding in the southwest. 90% of it is open desert.

The SBD kit was barely noticeable for open desert. I think it revs quicker but it's not really needed for open desert. Stock was just fine for me.

Sand is a different story ENTIRELY. The SBD kit and tune made a huge difference. It pulls much better in every gear and is so much easier to drive without having to flog the machine. I'm not saying it's a slug when stock but it's one step above slug when in sand. The tune made it a solid little machine that gets around very nicely.

Excited to try the cam's next. If they give me the same boost as the SBD this thing is going to be a great little sand machine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ride mainly tight woods and missed the bottom to mid range punch once I added 30's. The SBD kit is the best bang for the buck upgrade you can do to this machine and maintain reliability and drive ability in my opinion. It smooths out the bottom and has a beefy midrange allowing me to run a higher gear in most cases. The exhaust sounds good without being overly loud. It un-corks it enough to get some nice gurgles out of it when down shifting. Like many others in this thread, the YXZ sounds great with a full exhaust. I just don't want to listen to it all the time. Thats probably why EVO makes the Shocker for the Poolaris and Canned Hams. I don't believe it adds much top end, but its not supposed to. For me, it adds it right where I need it. And if I need some more above 5-6k, you have the optional cams. I also noticed about 10-12 degree drop in engine Temps with tune. Which in the YXZ world, lower Temps are always welcome. I'm a fan..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Trying to decide between going with just a slip on, full exhaust or the SBD kit. On my 16 I had just a slip on and tune and it ripped compared to my stock 20. So looking to get my 20 to have the same zip that my 16 had, plus the sound of the stock exhaust just doesn't do it for me ;) So if your running the SBD kit what do you think? I don't really want it any louder, which is one of the things I like about the SBD, but I do want it to sound more like it has a set of balls instead of a castrated steer. My 16 had a ton more pull than my 20 does, do you notice the difference in how wide the powerband is and throttle response when you added the kit. Also my 16 seemed to run a lot smoother, does the tune for the SBD smooth it out? Anyone have a different exhaust besides stock before going to the SBD, which setup do you think is better. The one downfall to the SBD is you don't save all the weight you do when you remove the stock exhaust, but what is 20 pounds on a 1600lb machine.
I have A 2017 SS SE I have the entire Alba Silent But Deadly kit except I did not do camshafts. I also had Alba redo the MCU to speed up shifts. I cannot say enough good about the performance gains with no negative side effects. Using stock muffler the noise is near stock. The engine runs cooler and I still get 25 MPG trail riding. Happy customer.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I took the plunge today and sent off my ecu. The near stock noise level was something I couldn't find with any other setup, and none of the others come close to hp and torque gains for the money. Temps here are forecast to start coming down and the pipe should be here for my Raptor next week. That is the last mod for it, so should give me plenty of time to get all the mods done on the Yxz before the rain starts and we put up the quads and pull out the utv's.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
When you change the spark arrester tip it gains a little volume and tone . It’s enough noise for me . I bet you will like it .

·
Registered
223 Posts
put a turbo on it and quiet it down ;-) (not that I did yet ;-()
Man do they sound better with the turbo through the stock exhaust. I want to do mine just for the quiet it provides. If it wasn't $6000 I would have done it already but honestly my friends turbo SS SE that is identical 2019 to mine with turbo can stay up with it just about anywhere we ride so just really seems a lot of money to spend for the quiet. I mean don't get me wrong I want the power too but with it not eating me up like no tomorrow I don't know if it is worth it to me for where we ride. If I had it to blow it would have been done already. Just got a new 2020 YZ450F so broke again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ride mine in the woods, no need for a turbo. Just trying to wake the beast up a little:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts