Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(UPDATES BASED ON INPUT BELOW)

Hello All!

I'm fairly new here, and did some searching but didn't see a sticky thread listing all of the recommended mods and accessories members of the forum are using and recommend for the YXZ SS (and SE). After a quick run through the search function, I still didn't see anything listing a set of recommended modifications or accessories so I created this thread. Apologies if I missed it and this is a repeat of a previous question.

So, a few questions for the combined brain trust... Please list any of the below you have installed on your rig, what type/brand, and what your results were. Would you do it again if you had it to do again?

What accessories would you recommend or which do you think are required and for which type of riding (dunes, desert, short course, MX track, fire roads, tight trails, camping/trekking, etc.)?
  1. Storage: Yamaha Bed Box; Rigg Door Bags
  2. Seats: TBD
  3. Harness and Harness Bars: Harness is a must (3" tends to be more comfortable) and Harness Bars are good until you replace the cage
  4. Bumpers: TBD
  5. Winch: TBD
  6. Skid Plates: Yes - Manufacturer Recommendations TBD
  7. Lights: TBD
  8. Mounting Options (fuel, tires, etc.): Yamaha Spare Tire Carrier
  9. Other?
Same question for mods...

What mods are recommended or required and for which type of riding (dunes, desert, short course, MX track, fire roads, tight trails, etc.)?
  1. Cage: Strongly recommended (manufacturer TBD)
  2. Gear Reduction + 30" tires (for trails): Yes (with TW clutch) - 70/30/15 or 45/15
  3. Exhaust Systems: TBD
  4. Tuners: TBD
  5. Clutch: Tube Works
  6. Aftermarket Springs: TBD
  7. Radiator Move: TBD
  8. A-arms and/or guards: TBD
  9. Suspension: Eibach Springs & Sway Bars, Shock Revalving
  10. Other?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or recommendations you might have for the rest of us who are new to these machines.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
For starters, make sure you stay safe, CAGE, harness, a good containment seat will help if your budget will allow. From there to be SS specific and depending on your riding conditions you may want to consider a gear reduction and TW clutch upgrade to prevent you from smoking the clutch in slow, nasty conditions or in the event you plan to lay down some serious HP (turbo or blower). As your list points out, the upgrades can only be stopped by your wallet, they're all great ideas, but safety first, these things will keel you !

·
Registered
378 Posts
look ahead - if doing an after market cage, don't buy a bunch of factory stuff (windshield, rear window, overhead bag, spare tire mount, & possibly rear box ) until you have decide on cage. Most of these factory items won't fit with after market cages. Harness & seats probably will work.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Storage . The Yamaha rear trunk works nice and Rigg gear makes some nice door bags for the yxz . I also have the Yamaha spare tire carrier ,all of these I would buy again . I bought harness bar and would not do again because it gets chucked to the side when you install a better cage . Skid plates . I bought SSS skids and did not care for the fit and finish so I sold them and bought factory utv they fit way better . Exhaust Weller tune Weller would buy again . 45/15 gears on 29 tires works good . Would I buy again ? Would like to drive 70/30/15 to be sure maybe I would like that better I don't know. I agree with Zilla the first thing is cage and harness these things go real fast real quick and stock cages wad up real bad . Suspension I did in two steps . The first was Eibach stage 2 springs and sway bars then I had shocks revalved if I had a do over I would just do it all at once by same shop . The suspension works well now compared to stock which was terrible .

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the inputs folks!

I've updated the first post in the list for ease of reference...

Let's keep this going. Here are a few questions to help get the juices flowing (no, not like that).

Anyone do any exhaust or tuning mods?

Any changes to the suspension on the SE?

Any recommendations for aftermarket suspension seats?

Who's the best tuner?

Has anyone installed a steering quickener?

Anyone change out the steering wheel for a racing wheel?

Which aftermarket cages are you all running and why?

·
Registered
7 Posts
anybody know if its a good idea to remove secondary air filter i have evo sports after market filter im at the dunes 90% of the time ?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
anybody know if its a good idea to remove secondary air filter i have evo sports after market filter im at the dunes 90% of the time ?
Been quite a bit of talk on this, and most will say NO. Best to leave it in.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Remove front and rear sway bars, unless you are a racer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts