Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
129$ each
30x12 14 inch wheel
No other tire is even close in price.
I'm running a GYTR turbo 2019 ss se.
Any thoughts, prior experience, advice.
I've been researching this forum on sand tires for a couple months now and am still no closer to settling on a tire.
I run Oregon dunes and Sand Mountain in Nevada.
Just looking for best "jack of all trades" type tire.
Dont really relish going through what a lot of you guys have, buying and selling several sets before being happy.
I know Scats are lightest, STU are very popular as well.
Both are quite spendy.
I run the sand only 2 or 3 times a year.
I can get this
Screenshot_20200208-215844_Chrome.jpg
full set of 4 tires and nice beadlock wheels for under 800$ from Rocky Mountain.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm running a 19 with GYTR turbo and I run the oregon dunes. I went with Fullerton Sand Sports recommended package for our car of the skat tires. They are super light and perform amazing. The front tire has a rib and it is buffed and gets great traction if needed. The lighter weight spins up faster and saves on axles and drivetrain. They are not cheap but cheaper than putting cheap tires on and than buying good ones later. I put the same package on my RS1

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm running a 19 with GYTR turbo and I run the oregon dunes. I went with Fullerton Sand Sports recommended package for our car of the skat tires. They are super light and perform amazing. The front tire has a rib and it is buffed and gets great traction if needed. The lighter weight spins up faster and saves on axles and drivetrain. They are not cheap but cheaper than putting cheap tires on and than buying good ones later. I put the same package on my RS1 View attachment 115633
Just gytr turbo, no other mods to your 19?
I'm stock including stock muffler, except GYTR turbo.
What size and paddle count are you running?
Just curious......
I think I'll need to put in a call to FSS.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just gytr turbo, no other mods to your 19?
I'm stock including stock muffler, except GYTR turbo.
What size and paddle count are you running?
Just curious......
I think I'll need to put in a call to FSS.
My 19 is long travel, with the GYTR turbo, stage 2 alba tune, Graves exhaust. Turning up the boost for next trip. Call Dave at FSS. These are not cheap wheels. They are gonna cost you an arm and a leg. But as far as performance, these tires are the best there is. The tire and wheel combo is super light. Mine are listed as 30" but they measure 29. I was considering bigger but Dave talked me into this size. They are a 10 paddle. It seams like I could use more paddle but it probably is saving my drivetrain. What you get with FSS is the experience of them having done hundreds and thousands of cars. They know what works best. I can't say enough about the front tires, the buffed rib. I wanted something to give me some traction in 4x4 if I got in a bind but steer excellent. These tires are the trick. For the few times that I have got the car stuck in a weird place on a trail, they give great traction. Fast starts I use 4x4 also and the front tires will throw a roost. I'm sure the cheap tires are tempting but you have such a nice car, you won't be disappointed if you step it up to the FSS scat combo. Tell Dave I recommended you and he can look up what is on my car.
John Dennis from Grants Pass Oregon.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 19 is long travel, with the GYTR turbo, stage 2 alba tune, Graves exhaust. Turning up the boost for next trip. Call Dave at FSS. These are not cheap wheels. They are gonna cost you an arm and a leg. But as far as performance, these tires are the best there is. The tire and wheel combo is super light. Mine are listed as 30" but they measure 29. I was considering bigger but Dave talked me into this size. They are a 10 paddle. It seams like I could use more paddle but it probably is saving my drivetrain. What you get with FSS is the experience of them having done hundreds and thousands of cars. They know what works best. I can't say enough about the front tires, the buffed rib. I wanted something to give me some traction in 4x4 if I got in a bind but steer excellent. These tires are the trick. For the few times that I have got the car stuck in a weird place on a trail, they give great traction. Fast starts I use 4x4 also and the front tires will throw a roost. I'm sure the cheap tires are tempting but you have such a nice car, you won't be disappointed if you step it up to the FSS scat combo. Tell Dave I recommended you and he can look up what is on my car.
John Dennis from Grants Pass Oregon. View attachment 115642 View attachment 115643
Thanks for the info.
I'm trying to get a hold of FSS, but their # has been disconnected or is no longer in service.
I did send them an email through their "contact us" part of their web site.
Now I guess just wait n see what happens.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'm trying to get a hold of FSS, but their # has been disconnected or is no longer in service.
I did send them an email through their "contact us" part of their web site.
Now I guess just wait n see what happens.
Your not going to be able to reach them, they closed the doors as of 1-14-20.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I tried the STI molded paddle on a 2019 SS and was not impressed. The stock tires aired down were just as good. It seems the buff surface and actual bonded paddle like STU or FST must be a better and lighter deal than the STI paddle.

For only 3-4 times a year I might just go for low pressure on the stock tires.

Spend it or burn it, you can't take it with you!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I tried the STI molded paddle on a 2019 SS and was not impressed. The stock tires aired down were just as good. It seems the buff surface and actual bonded paddle like STU or FST must be a better and lighter deal than the STI paddle.

For only 3-4 times a year I might just go for low pressure on the stock tires.

Spend it or burn it, you can't take it with you!
You are correct, the buff tires I pictured above with the bonded paddle are amazing on the YXZ. They are light, super good hookup and predictable on sliding. They were a huge improvement over stock tires, I mean crazy difference. If you are going 3-4 times a year with such a nice machine you should try and get em if possible

·
Registered
6 Posts
129$ each
30x12 14 inch wheel
No other tire is even close in price.
I'm running a GYTR turbo 2019 ss se.
Any thoughts, prior experience, advice.
I've been researching this forum on sand tires for a couple months now and am still no closer to settling on a tire.
I run Oregon dunes and Sand Mountain in Nevada.
Just looking for best "jack of all trades" type tire.
Dont really relish going through what a lot of you guys have, buying and selling several sets before being happy.
I know Scats are lightest, STU are very popular as well.
Both are quite spendy.
I run the sand only 2 or 3 times a year.
I can get this View attachment 115632 full set of 4 tires and nice beadlock wheels for under 800$ from Rocky Mountain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2017 alba exaust and tune only I tried stu 28 14 tires way too much paddle for non turbo, wish I would have gone scat track. but I bought the tusk sand tires next and for the money they perform great 28x 14 rear I feel like I could have gone with the 30s because im lower geared but so much fun being able to drift with the shorter paddles and they do not bog the motor. only drawback is they spin-out on banshee hill a little everywhere else in oregons dunes I am happy

·
Registered
7 Posts
John Dennis from Grants Pass Oregon. View attachment 115642 View attachment 115643
Are those the talon or extreme paddles? I've got 8 paddle 30x11 extreme's and need more paddle, looking into the 10 paddle 30x12.5 talon, just a wider paddle than the extreme, same height.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts