Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am feeling a bit deflated on this now-- anybody else feeling that way-- Im excited about a different ride, and excited for the reliability, but I was the first person to put down a deposit on one of these things in N. county SD, and I might be holding off for a while--- maybe till the turbo (if the turbo) comes out-- Those dyno numbers kinda bummed me out-- not because I care to drag race, but because after all the speculation and talk of how much a cvt tranny loses, it turns out this thing loses almost just as much--
Yes, I do care about HP because I drive like a bat out of hell and enjoy speed... Thus the reason (for me) to buy something new-- I have had every toy-- so just hold the negative comments of get a rail..etc..etc.. this is just a simple question of if anybody else is feeling any different after the results.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:( I feel less excited now seein the #'s. I really thought it would have been in da 90 HP range
Yea-- Me too-- Ive sat in one and love the look-- but I don't want to pay 24K otd for something that is sluggish in the dunes-- and yes, 85 hp is sluggish. ask popo riders, thus the reason they have been turboing them since day one.. Im hoping they have a turbo'd one at the SSSS next weekend-- maybe Ill just buy that one..=/

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed. I wanted to see at least 90 RWHP. But I just want to see the YXZ in an actual drag race on different surfaces between the Can Am and the Poolaris to see how it stacks up in real life. I'm hopeful results won't be as bad as we might be worrying about. Nothing is for certain until people actually get these cars in hand and do some real life comparisons. From all the hype Yamaha did, they can't be too off the mark and uncompetitive!

Reactions: zztop

·
Registered
753 Posts
83 hp to wheels sux. there's no other way to put it IMO. It pretty much makes the turbo mandatory for dune riders.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Of course. We are all a Lil bummed. I think 100 to the wheels mininum would be better. It's all gonna come down to the ride for me. If it rides & handles killer and is all day comfy it'll be a keeper. Even if it ain't the fastest thing around.

For us, in Ocotillo Wells, Gorman, Mammoth, Big Bear etc, it'll be more than enough power.

I doubt it'll ever see glamis.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, it's about 10 hp less but I was thinking it would have at the wheels. Add that along with no low range, and I have no desire to buy this thing now. But, if it just needs a little intake exhaust and tune to help to get it into the mid 90s, And we can get a underdrive installed in it, I don't know. That XP turbo is still more appealing to to me right now than this thing. Evo is saying an 18% horsepower increase on the XP turbo for 600 bucks. Puts it at about 122 at the wheels. Sounds like a lot more fun than this thing and it's turnkey plus the tune.......

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Of course. We are all a Lil bummed. I think 100 to the wheels mininum would be better. It's all gonna come down to the ride for me. If it rides & handles killer and is all day comfy it'll be a keeper. Even if it ain't the fastest thing around.

For us, in Ocotillo Wells, Gorman, Mammoth, Big Bear etc, it'll be more than enough power.

I doubt it'll ever see glamis.
Really?? I ride all of those areas as well, but love glamis, with the obvious exception to all the idiots.. We just go during the week when nobody is there-- Whats the best place for riding in Ocotillo-- I have friends that swear by it, but every time I go I just get filthy!-- Obviously Im missing the good spots. =)

·
Registered
182 Posts
So its less horsepower, same suspension travel and wheelbase as the other sport utv's. I don't think I call this a game changer. I do like it though.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
619 Posts
I'm also disappointed but not with the YXZ so much as I am with Yamaha as a company. They were the ones hyping the fact that their gear drive is more efficient than the CVT. Maybe the motor was tight or their was somthing wrong with the YXZ Alba wound up with, who knows, it's still disappointing. And to all the Polaris fan boys lower HP on the YXZ still doesn't help the RZRS reliability issues.

Reactions: JMOKC

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, it's about 10 hp less but I was thinking it would have at the wheels. Add that along with no low range, and I have no desire to buy this thing now. But, if it just needs a little intake exhaust and tune to help to get it into the mid 90s, And we can get a underdrive installed in it, I don't know. That XP turbo is still more appealing to to me right now than this thing. Evo is saying an 18% horsepower increase on the XP turbo for 600 bucks. Puts it at about 122 at the wheels. Sounds like a lot more fun than this thing and it's turnkey plus the tune.......
Couldn't agree with you more-- The only thing Im sketchy about on the new turbo is the plastic charging tube-- no bueno-plus I already have one turbo's rzr that I gave to my wifey-- I want something different-- more dependable, less bumpy.. just a different feel.. but if I have to essentially do exactly all the stuff Ive gotta do to a rzr to make it how I like, then whats the point.. I don't want to revolve shocks (somebody posted something about that already) I don't want to do an aftermarket turbo (presuming yamaha doesn't actually release one soon) and I sure the hell don't want to have to put a new alternator kit to run my lights, a second battery to run my gps, and no harnessed seat belts to boot--- Yamaha hit it really far, but out of the park is still to be seen.. I really need somebody who isn't a hater to compare the two-- RZR and YXZ.. ugh.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Go to Superstition mountain....you get the ocotillo wells and a little bit of dunes as well. Best of both worlds
X2 on Superstition! That's my main riding area. I've taken some runs over to Ocatillo Wells and it does seem to be more Dusty over there because there's just a lot more people over there. And if you're coming from San Diego I think superstitions a little bit closer. We always go out to a little place called the dip right off of Hauff road about a half mile north of Wheeler Road.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I thought it would be higher too, But I didn't get to drive it yet so cant complain about it. I cannot wait to drive this thing, I feel its going to be a blast to drive, n again for me u just cant beat a 5spd trans. Cant wait till Feb.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts