Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many have tried up shifting, using clutch, without getting off the gas at all. Compared to not using the clutch and backing off gas quickly while shifting like a dirtbike.

Curious as to which "quick shifting" technique people are using more. Figure it would be shifting without clutch, but might be some no-lift-shifters out there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
anyone try this. I have a Yam WR250R dirt bike and I keep the throttle pinned and keep pressure on the shifter with my foot and when it hits the rev limiter it pops into the next gear.
I drove my friends YXZ and upshifted with just a quick blip of the throttle and when I have my own, I will get better at it. Fun machine and can't wait to own one.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Gotta match gear speed. Doable but not like a bike where it gains you anything. Better off with a tap of the clutch, which can be done without anybody being able to detect it. Like a 10th of a second. I have a video on here somewhere that I'm racing an XP and turbo Mav up comp hill. You can get an idea from that.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
You can do it - I have done it and seen it being done, but there really isn't a need to do it. I can shift just as fast using the clutch. Such a short throw on both the clutch and shifter......

·
Registered
329 Posts
You can do it - I have done it and seen it being done, but there really isn't a need to do it. I can shift just as fast using the clutch. Such a short throw on both the clutch and shifter......
I agree with this entirely. It shifts very quickly using the clutch and barely lifting on the throttle.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Corry, when racing quads or SR1's, do you normally use the clutch on upshifts?
Quads yes..... Except when I'm in the air. SR1 I use the clutch to downshift but not up shift. I have a hand mounted clutch cable lever and it's just quicker for me to let off the gas for a split sec and shift up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts