Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious if anyone has tried this rack out. It looks pretty good. Quicker steering AND some extra travel for tighter turning radius. It says built in the USA, but some of the English on their site isn't so good...

They sell a normal and quick ratios.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Not trying to be a cheerleader or anything, but did you check out the Weller rack ? I got the 1:1.25 which I don't think the stock now (I have no idea why ) but it is just a chunk. From straight track to full lock 1/2 turn either way. Just incase you missed it.
To your question, no, I have no experience with W.B. nor have I seen any in action.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I have not tried the wicked rack but I do use the Hess 1.5/1 and it provides much better steering. If I ever have an issue with my stock steering I may get the new std Weller rack just because I love their products. They didnt have it available when I purchased the Hess quickner

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not tried the wicked rack but I do use the Hess 1.5/1 and it provides much better steering. If I ever have an issue with my stock steering I may get the new std Weller rack just because I love their products. They didnt have it available when I purchased the Hess quickner
Are you happy with the 1.5 to 1 ratio or would you go even higher?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Are you happy with the 1.5 to 1 ratio or would you go even higher?
I was going to get the 2.0/1 but Hess talked me out of it. He said it would be harder to turn in the dunes. Yes I'm happy with the 1.5/1. It made it so much easier to drive in the dunes. It does move your steering wheel much closer though, so you need to plan in that.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Has anyone had the two bolts/flanges back their way out of the stock steering rack? My
Wife took the car for a ride and came back and said steering wheel felt weird and sure enough I am missing one bolt and the other is loose. Where can I get the part and like NOW?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Has anyone had the two bolts/flanges back their way out of the stock steering rack? My
Wife took the car for a ride and came back and said steering wheel felt weird and sure enough I am missing one bolt and the other is loose. Where can I get the part and like NOW?

Ditch the factory bolts and welded on nuts. You can knock the welded on nuts of with ease. Then install Grade 8 bolts / washers and locking nuts - cures the issue. Some vendor also sells a backing brace - we just made our own as the stock rack mount is a bit thin.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
And what size

The stock rack bolts are M10 and torque to 35 ft/lb , qty. - 4 . Dose not give a length but I would guess 1.5 - 2.0 inch. You could go with a longer bolt that would pass through the welded nuts far enough to back up with a Nylock nut to lock it down to prevent it loosening.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The stock rack bolts are M10 and torque to 35 ft/lb , qty. - 4 . Dose not give a length but I would guess 1.5 - 2.0 inch. You could go with a longer bolt that would pass through the welded nuts far enough to back up with a Nylock nut to lock it down to prevent it loosening.
Zilla are you sure it's a M10. These m10s look way too big lol

·
Registered
418 Posts
what is easiest way to gain full access to Steering rack bc I'm struggling over something so
Small and it's starting to really Piss me off

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Zilla are you sure it's a M10. These m10s look way too big lol

Yeah, that's what the book calls for, IIRC their the type of bolt with a small head because of clearance. I'll check for you in the morning at the shop cuz I got mine out, I got longer allen heads with the Weller rack, I throw a mic on them and get right back to you tomorrow, but the book calls for M10 qty.4 and even shows a rack with sequence to tighten them. Their a bitch to get to and that was with all the plastic off, socket, universal and about 12 or 14 inches of extensions. I'll double check them for you though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
M10x30 is about what they are. 1.25 pitch I believe. I know it's not 1.50 pitch. Its definately M10 tho.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, that's what the book calls for, IIRC their the type of bolt with a small head because of clearance. I'll check for you in the morning at the shop cuz I got mine out, I got longer allen heads with the Weller rack, I throw a mic on them and get right back to you tomorrow, but the book calls for M10 qty.4 and even shows a rack with sequence to tighten them. Their a bitch to get to and that was with all the plastic off, socket, universal and about 12 or 14 inches of extensions. I'll double check them for you though.
lol I'm stuck I cant believe how hard they made this lol. It feels like the m10 just spins and their is no bite

·
Registered
23 Posts
Page 3 of this thread has most the information you need. I looked over mine after every time I've taken it out and haven't had any problems yet personally. But I'm just one data point.

http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/10-yxz-general-discussion/9962-check-your-steering-rack-3.html

There's a pic of an FSM with specs and the fastener sizes listed out.

Pic from thread

Quote Originally Posted by Khite100 View Post
I'm going with M10-1.25 x 50 grade 10.9 with a lock nut. Should do the trick. I ordered extra for you Neal.

FYI - 40mm long bolts work the best.
Fastener information from thread.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
lol I'm stuck I cant believe how hard they made this lol. It feels like the m10 just spins and their is no bite

It was really tuff to get these bolts in, I had to loosen the pinch bolt on the steering shaft, drive a chisel in the coupler split to allow the rack to go up far enough to get the bolts holes to line up. If you try this, be careful not to mess up your splined shaft or coupler.
Sorry bout not getting back to you yesterday morning but had a bit of bad luck, had a crane boom shear a pin and came down and hit me. Broken wrist and thumb and got slammed into a wall real hard, KO'ed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It was really tuff to get these bolts in, I had to loosen the pinch bolt on the steering shaft, drive a chisel in the coupler split to allow the rack to go up far enough to get the bolts holes to line up. If you try this, be careful not to mess up your splined shaft or coupler.
Sorry bout not getting back to you yesterday morning but had a bit of bad luck, had a crane boom shear a pin and came down and hit me. Broken wrist and thumb and got slammed into a wall real hard, KO'ed.
And oh man so sorry to hear about that! Heal up !!!!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I'm curious if anyone has tried this rack out. It looks pretty good. Quicker steering AND some extra travel for tighter turning radius. It says built in the USA, but some of the English on their site isn't so good...

They sell a normal and quick ratios.
Ok I have installed this on mine and I definitely love the turning radius now . Just hope it doesn’t affect my cv joints. Also I have the 1.7 ratio. I will give more feedback after I hit the track.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts