Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about mounting a winch on my 2016. Like the Motoalliance Viper mount as it is a bolt in. Probably getting a Badland ZXR3500. Found a bunch of reviews on the Badland winch but none on the Viper mount. Anyone?

·
Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
501 Posts
Not familiar with that particular mount. But that is the preferred location for mounting.

But, what you may want to take into consideration is what if any bumper your running or plan on using.

The internal mounts can cause issues with the cable dragging on plastic based on the exit location on the bumper.

Nate

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not familiar with that particular mount. But that is the preferred location for mounting.

But, what you may want to take into consideration is what if any bumper your running or plan on using.

The internal mounts can cause issues with the cable dragging on plastic based on the exit location on the bumper.

Nate
The viper mount comes with a plate, with a fairlead that bolts to the front of the frame above the skid plate. So that shouldn't be an issue. Are you running with a winch? If so, which winch/mount. Thanks.

·
Administrator
2018 SE, CageWRX cage, 2019 Gears, Rekluse Clutch, Trinity exhaust, Weller tune,RR Intercom & Radio,
501 Posts
I'm running a 2500# winch with the OEM trail bumper.

I fabbed up my own mount for about $10. Done 2 of these now and both have been used for self recovery and recover other SxS's

This details the mount, install and issues.

Front Bumper or Winch Mount - Opinions Please

Nate

Reactions: leadmic

·
Administrator
501 Posts
Thats what were trying to point out. Even if the bumper has a mount you should mount over the A-arms. But when you do pay attention to where the cable is going to pay out thru.

Just don't make the mistake of looking at the pay out angle of full drum, look at it with 1/4 or less.

Nate

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm running a 2500# winch with the OEM trail bumper.

I fabbed up my own mount for about $10. Done 2 of these now and both have been used for self recovery and recover other SxS's

This details the mount, install and issues.

Front Bumper or Winch Mount - Opinions Please

Nate
Thats some good information. I thought a 2500lb winch wouldn't be enough for a 1600lb plus YXZ. I want add as little weight as possible. Thanks again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Vipers mount works just fine the fairlead mount is very cheesy though, I actually make front bumpers with an integrated fairlead mount for the Viper and houser style winch mounts.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have seen plenty of people say they did not like this bumper as it sticks out. But with suspension revalved and sprung by Weller, and a little adjustments to mounting to tilt up more it works perfect with badlands 5000 lb winch.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Vipers mount works just fine the fairlead mount is very cheesy though, I actually make front bumpers with an integrated fairlead mount for the Viper and houser style winch mounts.
I can attest to this setup! IMO... this is a solid way to go! Nice setup with a super clean look and install!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts