Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We heard the Cinders OHV area in Flagstaff, AZ was an interesting place to ride. At 7,200' elevation in the tall pines with Sunset Crater volcano nearby, the "cinders" resembles black sand and can become a whooped out area with all types of OHV enthusiasts ascending on it each weekend. They were right.
We arrived on Saturday, a couple hours before practice and were welcomed with some rain showers that had also happened prior. Moisture and cinders equals awesome terrain. No mud, no dust and better grip for our not so cinder-friendly Arisun Aftershock XD's. Practice revealed what I feared most; large whoops! We've raced our share of rough courses though sharp edged whoops wins for removing teeth fillings. The Lucas Oil racers need to get off the smooth course and witness this once!
CORR1 and I did our one 9.9 mile lap and came back to camp seriously discussing whether to race on Sunday, it was that bad. My comment to our team was "if there's a race course out there that'll break the YXZ this is the one".
We were welcomed with more rain through the night and Sunday morning found us both at the signup trailer willingly handing over our $145 entry fee. Go figure. We came to race and I'm not a quitter.
Thirty two UTVs were entered, 21 in the 1000 Non-Turbo, 7 Turbo's and a few 800-900's. This was our largest race turnout yet. With our podium finish last race we were lined up just behind the Turbo's with 19 others staring at us from behind.

The start was our first dead-engine start with 15 seconds between rows. Unlike my trusty off-road race bike, Speedy fired up immediately and CORR1 and I took off for our respective lines. The first major whoop section was not as bad as I recalled in practice. We were finding our way and picking different lines when CORR1 decided to go sightseeing a bit and lead us both off course. There went two of our competition right by us! Dang! Back on course we continued to settle in and chose somewhat different lines. I in a standard width machine and CORR1 with his long travel felt a bit too wide in areas. I was having fun slipping through and under and sometime into trees while he played it more safe. I couldn't keep up with his extra power (DASA pipe and tune) so I had to use my head. I passed him on lap one, then he passed me. It didn't take long to realize this race was as much a battle against the clock as each other as we diced it out and passed each other numerous times. On one lap I had pushed it too hard in the sandyish soil and caught a glimpse of my overtemp light. I was in the lead and decided this wasn't for money and pulled aside letting 3 others pass me as I hoped to cool off quickly or find I was done for the day. Thankfully Speedy cooled off and I was back on the gas be it up-shifting whenever possible.
The course was by far the roughest we'd raced yet I found there was only one section that I bottomed out the suspension while the rest required a loose body and loose grip to flow with the terrain. CORR1 on his 5th of 6 laps noticed something wrong in the rear. Both of us also noticed on a steeper hill climb that our machines "cut out" while climbing it. We were both on empty again or so the machine told us. CORR1 felt something wrong up front and on his 6th lap made the decision to pull out.
We finished the race and rolled back to camp where we surveyed the damage. CORR1 had a bent tie rod and a swaybar link mount torn off his long travel rear swing arm. He raced a lap or so without the rear swaybar and swears he was faster that lap.
My machine fared much better - 3 missing rear fender bolts.
The rains fell again and we headed up to see the results. I finished 3rd, CORR1 finished 9th out of 21. Another podium finish for Team Carey Racing! I finished 3rd overall beating all Turbo lap times. Those kind of results will bring one back for more!

Takeaways?
I say it each time - these YXZ's are amazing yet only 3 showed up out of 31 entries.
There is a fuel issue, a pickup and/or sensor issue. This race was 58 miles, our last was 60. Both races we had blinking "feed me fuel now" lights on. We both noticed the machines "cutting out" up a steep section. We get back home later that day and then our fuel gauges show 1-2 bars on them! Hmmm.
Our Shock Therapy suspension worked as well as these machines would allow. I'm betting a different swaybar tension is the ticket to more smooth whoops.
I need to research that fan override switch mod.
Being able to race with your kid - real fun, real memories.
Taking 3 GoPro's with 1.5 hours of footage and making a 10 minute video is a CHORE. hehe enjoy!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Thanks for the share. I wish I had some extra dough to go racing. Looks like a blast.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like fun. I was trying to figure out what that white bottle was until I heard you honk.
I installed a horn from my ole RZR while the Kid went budget minded. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts