Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CORR1 and I made the 9hr trek from his house to Dolan Springs, AZ which is between Kingman, AZ and Las Vegas, NV. A remote location it was, a pretty place it was not though it
was our race site for the latest AZOP Hare Scramble series.
Held on 640 acres of private land, the race site was mostly river bottom with some surrounding desert. Practice was at 7am and proved the race was going to be a dusty one.
The 1000 non-turbo class had 11 of us while the unlimited-turbo had 3. We lined up at 11am based on the current points standing and with 30 seconds between racers. I lined up 2nd in our class behind the turbos while the Kid was 3rd. We were off in a cloud of dust with each start and so began the race. As with the last couple races, it took me a lap to find my groove and settle into the race, allowing myself to relax while the suspension did its thing. The 30 second offsets worked well keeping the dust at bay until we closed in on the competition. By lap 3 I was getting into the leaders dust knowing I was closing in. I passed through the scoring shoot within 10 seconds of him which meant I was actually in the lead. I was stoked and kept the XP1K in my sights knowing all I had to do was maintain and I was going to finally beat him! Then it happened. Halfway through lap 4 I entered a 71mph section and immediately felt like I was skating on ice. I had flatted the left rear. I continued on the course until I got near the scoring shoot and notified them I was exiting the course for a tire change and would re-enter here shortly. Thankfully CORR1 worked it out to have our sponsor Shock Therapy's pit crew pit for us. I radio'd that I needed help and soon 3 guys had my tire swapped in no time! I entered the course and was completing lap 4 when I came upon the Kid. He was outside the car without a smile on his face. I decided one of us had to finish the race and kept on going knowing he wasn't going anywhere soon. My race became a race against time. Not knowing how much I had given up to the tire swap I decided not to relax but to finish well. It paid off.
I finished 3rd and 3rd overall that day beating all turbo's. CORR1 took home his 2nd DNF thanks to another tie rod failure.
Interesting that someone noticed after practice a slice on the inner sidewall of one of my rear tires. I swapped out the tire but the very same slice is what took out my rear tire during the race. At least I'm consistent!
CORR1 and I tried our best to get limp his YXZ out of the desert though in the end required a backhoe to tow him out. Now he has a damaged front bumper to add to the list! Arrgh!
The 11hr drive home that evening wasn't fun and you can imagine some of the discussion that occurred including aftermarket tie rods, bigger tires, the X3, racing in general, are we having fun yet, etc.
YXZ damage? CORR2 = 2 tires, CORR1 = tie rod, possible front CV and a bent bumper.
Currently we're in 2nd and 3rd for the series respectively. The final race is two weeks out and is my last opportunity to move up to 1st and the only opportunity for the Kid to save 3rd. We'll see.

IMG_1594.JPG IMG_1587.JPG

Reactions: rickkcg

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are youu going to next weeks race in Payson. Im going to be coming out from california for it.
No. The Kid is awaiting, hopefully, aftermarket tie rods. I'm trying to best myself in just the hare scramble series not the GP series. Payson the town is a great venue though I know nothing about where the GP course will be. Have fun!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be prepared for a course designed for motorcycles not UTVs, ie tight turns and crappy jumps.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I came out for the Prescott Valley & Morman lake gp races this year and had a blast. I do dessert racing out here in california, so I realy like the diffrent style of racing. Best part is my kids get to race with me as one is co drive on saturday and the other on sunday Nothing better than having your kids in the yxz with you

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I came out for the Prescott Valley & Morman lake gp races this year and had a blast. I do dessert racing out here in california, so I realy like the diffrent style of racing. Best part is my kids get to race with me as one is co drive on saturday and the other on sunday Nothing better than having your kids in the yxz with you
Thats awesome, have a blast!

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You may want to consider the new 10 ply Mongrels, I have taken mine through the ringer and have held up really well. GBC claims they are in a league of their own.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Awesome video! Except those few drive by passes look like they were filmed with a potato! Lol just kiddin. +1 for 10 ply mongrels, stout tires...

·
Registered
190 Posts
A fellow YXZ dude decided to opt out of the race but did some iphone videos for us (fly by) but unfortunately gopro studio makes them look horrible. But that DASA SOUND!!!! I have to say, if you go long travel, GET TIE RODS. the oem ones are junk when you add that extra leverage. Right where the threads start is where they bend/snap. Dad, however, has ran the whole season on the stock set. Suspension direct apparently has some +3.5" replacements coming, but assault and and the others only offer +4" (for the HCR kit). Fun times still, but I'm not going racing again without some extra beef up front!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts