Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

BAJA 1000 Pre Run

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  True520 
#1 ·
The YXZ took what the Baja had to offer and came back for more! My self and 2 brand new Rzrs pre ran about 750 miles. The course had it all. Rough, smooth, high speed, crawling, and of course the dreaded silt beds. It sailed through it all. The rougher the better.

This is my takeaway- This machine is not for everyone. Unless you want to run very hard then get a different brand. The YXZ shines the faster it goes. Some say the suspension is stiff. Not when you're hitting the hard stuff at 50 and 60 mph. It feels way more stable than the Rzr. The suspension is amazing! Mid range torque is a joy. And the 5 speed sequential takes the fun factor through the roof.

I ran the Tensor Regulator tires and they shined. At the finish they had plenty of tread left. Cornered well and always seemed stable.My friend left his Maxis Bighorns on his Rzr and they were about 75% worn.

Bottom line - This car runs like a Porsche, where the other belt driven machines feel like driving a bigger car with an automatic. Both run about equally as fast but the Yamaha has a higher top end.

My only complaint is how tall 1st gear is. I don't understand it. I wish Yamaha would explain themselves. It would be nice to have a granny gear.

I'm now going to sell my Rzr 1K XP and kept the money for when the 4 seat YXZ comes along.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for your review. Very informative! I'm happier all the time that I bought this car.

#5 ·
The YXZ took what the Baja had to offer and came back for more! My self and 2 Brandt new Rzrs pre ran about 750 miles. The course had it all. Rough, smooth, high speed, crawling, and of course the dreaded silt beds. It sailed through it all. The rougher the better.

This is my takeaway- This machine is not for everyone. Unless you want to run very hard then get a different brand. The YXZ shines the faster it goes. Some say the suspension is stiff. Not when you're hitting the hard stuff at 50 and 60 mph. It feels way more stable than the Rzr. The suspension is amazing! Mid range torque is a joy. And the 5 speed sequential takes the fun factor through the roof.

I ran the Tensor Regulator tires and they shined. At the finish they had plenty of tread left. Cornered well and always seemed stable.My friend left his Maxis Bighorns on his Rzr and they were about 75% worn.

Bottom line - This car runs like a Porsche, where the other belt driven machines feel like driving a bigger car with an automatic. Both run about equally as fast but the Yamaha has a higher top end.

My only complaint is how tall 1st gear is. I don't understand it. I wish Yamaha would explain themselves. It would be nice to have a granny gear.

I'm now going to sell my Rzr 1K XP and kept the money for when the 4 seat YXZ comes along.
Nice write up..thanks for posting...did YOU drive both the YXZ and the" RZR" through the same sections in which the YXZ shined over the RZR..? you didn't mention which model RZR you were comparing the YXZ to..it would be nice to read an unbiased comparison, because in the videos I've watched it looked as though the RZR XP 1k and the RZR XPT took the hard stuff much faster..I'm on the fence I'd like to know...thanks again for your post

Duane

#6 ·
Duane- I have had a Polaris Rzr 1k xp for several years and have 4800 mostly hard miles knocking around the Baja with it. The Rzr does very well but you need to feel the stability of the YXZ when it becomes airborne and then lands in rough stuff. It's really a more stable feeling than the Rzr. I think the Rzr is a very capable machine. I've done some things with it that amaze me. But it just broke down way to often.

#9 ·
I left the suspension stock on my Rzr 1K XP. One of the Rzrs that went along on the ride had about $2200 with of new springs and revalving. He swore by it. I didn't drive it though. I will soon though.

I might have dual rate springs installed on the YXZ. Before I decide though I want to explore the issue with some builders.

#10 ·
I've have experienced really good results with Shock Therapy...Racertech springs and thier "Shock Therapy" stage 3 valving...I'm just curious because a solid welded frame with zero suspension..would feel more "stable" through the woops than a rig with full travel..no offence entended :) and after some of these recent posts I'm more curious...I can carry 3 or 4 extra belts in my factory box ..but I can't can't carry a extra tranny or clutch...

Duane

#12 · (Edited)
A zero suspended machine (as in very stiff , or maybe even solid shocks) will definitely feel more stable in the flat smooth corners, but when whoops, rutts, and bumps are thrown in, the suspension is drastically needed to keep the machine from bucking itself out of control.

We had a 200 yard run down thru a power line and it was amazing how outta shape the stock suspended xp1k would get. Could never hold it wide open. And to look at it from the side, you would have thought it was a wide open section for sure! Of course, after we had the suspension re-worked we could run thru this section wide open... which was around 10mph faster too.

I too see your point on carrying the extra belt too... may be better to let the dust settle for a few weeks and see what comes of these burnt up clutch issues. Of course, I still can't find one to buy around me anyways. LOL

#11 ·
I'm a little confused when you say "a solid welded frame with zero suspension..would feel more "stable" through the woops than a rig with full travel." The exact opposite is true. Longer, well designed suspension, would always be more stable running the whoops than a vehicle with zero suspension. If you attempted to run the whoops at speed with zero suspension you would quickly become unstable and wreck. My point is that the YXZ creates a very stable feeling because it recovers quickly from the forces you encounter hitting the rough stuff. It doesn't rock from side to side when landing like most sxs's.

That being said, I'll take your tip about Shock Therapy and check them out.

You make a good point about a belt driven machine having an easily fixed weak link. But they also have a clutch and tranny that can break down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.