Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got to drive a yxz at a demo. Didn't get the chance to really open it up. But it did have the rekluse. I was wondering those of you who driven a Barnett vs rekluse? Can you shift with out clutching with the Barnett? Did you notice the rekluse slipping significantly more then Barnett? How has the rekluse been holding up to the turbo kits? Can a clutch be replaced in timely matter while in a toy hauler? Just. Want to see what i might be dealing with if I have to fix it if me or wife burns up the clutch at the dunes.

·
Registered
971 Posts
So I got to drive a yxz at a demo. Didn't get the chance to really open it up. But it did have the rekluse. I was wondering those of you who driven a Barnett vs rekluse? Can you shift with out clutching with the Barnett? Did you notice the rekluse slipping significantly more then Barnett? How has the rekluse been holding up to the turbo kits? Can a clutch be replaced in timely matter while in a toy hauler? Just. Want to see what i might be dealing with if I have to fix it if me or wife burns up the clutch at the dunes.
Some good info in this thread:

http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/26-yxz-drivetrain/911-video-barnett-alba-heavy-duty-clutch-install.html

I have the Barnett pressure plate in mine - I may be the 1st to use the alternate springs in it. There are 4 pressure versions of their pressure plate. I discuss this on the last page of the link above.

The Recluse doesn't apply any more pressure to the friction disc's than the stock pressure plate. What it does do though is allow one to start and stop without using the clutch. Initially one has to push the clutch to put into 1st -- Then release the clutch and one can idle in gear ( Just don't do it for very long as there is slight pressure on the plates). It's main claim to fame is one won't kill the engine while operating the vehicle. One still has to use the clutch to shift gears. Same is said for the Barnett pressure plate -- One has to use the clutch full time. Start/stop and to change gears.

One can install the Quick Shift -- This allows full throttle clutchless upshifting. It's fully computer controlled and user programmable (Delay set points). I have this but haven't installed it yet. I had a related component failure and am waiting for it's replacement from the manufacturer.

There's also another device (Just not released yet for the YXZ) and thats the Auto Blip. This allows clutchless downshifts. Again computer controlled and user programmable.

Changing out the clutch in a toy hauler -- Given enough insentive I suppose anything is possible. I prefer to set up the clutch in my shop then go play. Service and inspect to get an idea of wear and make adjustments as one deems necessary.

Watch Mark's video along with Wellers on servicing the clutch to get an idea of what's involved and access.

Good Luck .. .. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
once u know your "soft spot" u can shift with no clutch, I like my Alba so far way more than I liked my recluse.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was under the impression that clutch can only used to take of and stop. shifting can be done by bliping the throttle. That's how I drove it at the demo. Seemed to shift find and I didn't even open it up. (Didn't want to scare the wife outta buying one) it climbed the obstacles pretty well. But I didn't use the clutch at all to shift. One time I couldn't down shift with out the clutch. But most likely my fault too. It was the first time I ever drove a sxs and 2nd time ever riding in one. Besides a bone stock rhino one time before.

·
Registered
582 Posts
the rekluse puts more pressure than the barnett or the alba, difference is its based on rpm. Really apples and oranges, the rekluse holds stronger the faster you rev, the others are constant all the time. There is a place for both styles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little over 600 and almost all sand with 28" paddles and/or dirt tires
You boosted or all stock?

I'm thinking Barnett will hold up better for what I'm looking for. Lots of sand miles/ hard launches/ drag racing/Charging whoops. Not rock crawling or mud bogging got a 1 ton k5 for all that

·
Registered
2 Posts
If your going to race and be in the woods stay away from the Rekluse we are going to put in our third set of plates and the rekluse is coming out, our friend that also races a YXZ in the same series is Barnetts only and has 6 hard races on it with no problems
This past set was the Barnett plates with the Rekluse and again only 3 races and gone

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sparky kinda hit the nail on the head.... I have ran the rekluse for 600 miles of very hard driving. Half the miles are with the weller pipe/reflash. 200 miles on dunes, 400 miles in the woods. I have not had a single issue. Mainly went with the rekluse so wife could load/unload it easier. Still use the clutch to shift and never let it sit still in gear for more then a couple seconds. I always put it in neutral while idling, only go to first when I am ready to start moving.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If your going to race and be in the woods stay away from the Rekluse we are going to put in our third set of plates and the rekluse is coming out, our friend that also races a YXZ in the same series is Barnetts only and has 6 hard races on it with no problems
This past set was the Barnett plates with the Rekluse and again only 3 races and gone
Do you race short course or desert? So the rekluses been holding up well in boosted/dunes applications?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sandhoon -- On this point you made: "I was under the impression that clutch can only used to take of and stop. shifting can be done by bliping the throttle."

If you find this stated in the Owners Manual -- Please post a screen shot stating such and I'll stand corrected on the statement I'm about to make.

Although the gears in the transmission are straight cut gears -- One should not change a gear without using the clutch.

This machine is unlike a motorcycle - Even changing gears on a motorcycle one still has to use a clutch or install the Auto Blip and Quick Shift devices.

The YXZ uses a divorced motorcycle style transmission. It's important to understand this and the fact the crank is connected to the input shaft of the transmission via a driveshaft with an external flywheel attached. Understanding this - You will then understand the stored kenetic energy in the driveline and if one shifts gears without using the clutch - One is soon to have a transmission failure. Rounded shift dogs or a broken gear because one didn't get into gear all the way.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't own one...yet:chuncky: I only read about people not useing clutch to shift. I know in the Manuel it says use clutch to shift. Just trying to get reviews on charistics/reliability reviews on each.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Good for you -- In asking questions before purchase. Not only do you gain knowledge but we all do from those who take the time to respond.

Good Luck in your quest -- I'm sure enjoying my YXZ .. .. .. :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sandhoon -- On this point you made: "I was under the impression that clutch can only used to take of and stop. shifting can be done by bliping the throttle."

If you find this stated in the Owners Manual -- Please post a screen shot stating such and I'll stand corrected on the statement I'm about to make.

Although the gears in the transmission are straight cut gears -- One should not change a gear without using the clutch.

This machine is unlike a motorcycle - Even changing gears on a motorcycle one still has to use a clutch or install the Auto Blip and Quick Shift devices.

The YXZ uses a divorced motorcycle style transmission. It's important to understand this and the fact the crank is connected to the input shaft of the transmission via a driveshaft with an external flywheel attached. Understanding this - You will then understand the stored kenetic energy in the driveline and if one shifts gears without using the clutch - One is soon to have a transmission failure. Rounded shift dogs or a broken gear because one didn't get into gear all the way.
Although I basically agree with your assessment and i do use the clutch because it's just as quick to me and obviously easier on parts, i do believe the installation/owners manual that came with the Recluse does state that you can shift without using the clutch.

I'll try to dig it out and see if i can find whether my memory is right or not this evening. Either way, I'll post up what i find.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts