Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I trying to figure out what to use to maintain the battery when the car is not being used for an extended period of time. I've always used the little battery tenders on the quads and cars but the owners manual says the battery is a Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) battery and using a conventional battery charger will damage the battery. So can I used the Battery Tender I have or do I need to buy a special trickle charger?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I trying to figure out what to use to maintain the battery when the car is not being used for an extended period of time. I've always used the little battery tenders on the quads and cars but the owners manual says the battery is a Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA) battery and using a conventional battery charger will damage the battery. So can I used the Battery Tender I have or do I need to buy a special trickle charger?

Thanks
yup battery tender is fine, but driving it is always more fun .lol

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to take it with me to Az but can't figure out how to take all the toys, so this year will have to leave it home for a couple of months.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I've been using a battery tender since day one with a remote connection. It works great.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I would like to take it with me to Az but can't figure out how to take all the toys, so this year will have to leave it home for a couple of months.
Time to get a stacker trailer. I also am trying to figure out how to get my jeep and sxs behind the motorhome without breaking the bank. lol I am thinking a 22' or 24' flatbed trailer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use a battery tender on mine as when I am not driving it or cleaning it or putting new things on I always have it plugged in.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time to get a stacker trailer. I also am trying to figure out how to get my jeep and sxs behind the motorhome without breaking the bank. lol I am thinking a 22' or 24' flatbed trailer.
My issue with a flat bed trailer is the total length of the trailer can only be 25' long tongue included before I hit the 65' limit. Not sure I can get the Jeep and YXZ on that length trailer.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
My issue with a flat bed trailer is the total length of the trailer can only be 25' long tongue included before I hit the 65' limit. Not sure I can get the Jeep and YXZ on that length trailer.
I was measuring mine and think that may be long enough.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine starts up just fine after sitting for 4-6 weeks. Anything more than that and I will throw it on the tender over night. I follow this same rule for my jet ski and it usually shows it's back to trickle mode by the next morning and I've never had problems with the battery.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You guys all need to invest into a battery disconnect. Either blade or rotary. I like blade.
I've had one on my Jeep for years and my battery last 4 years longer than warranty using it.
I always disconnected it after getting home from a run. It was my fun car. My daily driver were motorcycles.
Only time I've ever had to charge up a dead battery was one I didn't disconnect it.
I also only drove it once or twice a month and in the last two years only put 500 miles on it and it never needed charging - because of the disconnect.

Personal experience.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So is the general consensus just that a normal battery tender is fine?

I've spent about an hour researching VRLA batteries and chargers and come to no good conclusions. The best I can figure is that I can charge using a "gel" setting as it charges to lower voltages? Does that sound like the closest answer?

I read there are AGM and Gel batteries in the VRLA format. Anybody know which one we have?

I'm not trying to be anal but the cost of a replacement battery makes me want to get this correct.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The stock batteries are simple lead-acid batteries. I ordered new ones and had to fill them with acid myself. I have used regular battery tender many times without issue. The original batteries seemed fine when I changed them out, I just change batteries on things every three years as a rule.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts