1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 YXZ1000R SE, CageWRX cage
182 Posts
Thats kind of a broad question.

Which part of the frame is bent?

How badly bent?

There are several members that have straightened minor (and major) bends in the rear frame. Very few have had luck with the front clip.

And there are a couple that have just continued to run frames that had minor bends without issue.

Nate

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had luck on fixing mine when I bought it tweaked (smashed) and decieded to fix it, rather than buying a new frame. Basically I redid the front frame of mine where it was damaged. Depends on what you have for tools, with having a full shop (welder/bender/Porta Power).Would need some pics of what you are dealing with and also where the damage is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had luck on fixing mine when I bought it tweaked (smashed) and decieded to fix it, rather than buying a new frame. Basically I redid the front frame of mine where it was damaged. Depends on what you have for tools, with having a full shop (welder/bender/Porta Power).Would need some pics of what you are dealing with and also where the damage is.
It is only on the driver front the door doesn't want to close very well it will just runs the back quite a bit pushed back below cage mount just under the front fender drivers side over the cage is back a couple inches I have another cage

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pics would help alot. I can kinda picture the area you are talking about. That part of the frame, I don't know if you will be able to pull out. Mine was only tweaked in the front section and the rest from the firewall back was all straight which made mine pretty easy to fix.

You would almost have to pull the old cage off, then put the new one on, then see how bad they don't line up. from there you would have to pull the bad section out to straighten it, if at all possible with a frame rack and porta power or come-along. I know the cage holds alot of the frame together, so you might want to try and pull it before taking the cage off to see if it will move first.

When I did mine I used my car trailer as a "makeshift" frame rack, by strapping the utv down to the trailer in multiple spots, then pulling the front out using the trailer as an anchor. I got really lucky on mine with where the damage was. Also another thing is to strip all of the plastic off that you can where the damage is (hood, headlights, doors). You should be able to see the paint flaking off where the damaged or bent spots are in the tubing.

Another thing to check is your measurement between the front wheel and back wheel on both sides (wheelbase). If your only off 1/4 inch, it isn't going to make a huge difference and I'd run it as is.

If your in the 1/4" to 3" you can possibly straighten it wheelbase wise.

If its 4" or greater, then you have your work cut out for you to get it straight again (4" is about what I had to deal with) (you will be cutting and replacing tubes in the frame).

Again it all depends on the damage and which part of the frame took the hit. Sometimes you just cannot fix it, sometimes you can. Also depending on your level of fabrication and tools at hand, that makes a huge difference in what can and cannot be done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts