Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2021 yxz 1000r
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I’m almost ready to buy a turbo kit, and I’m wondering which one would be best I’m at high elevation and do mostly wide open desert trails. I’m also open to a supercharger. I’m looking at the silber one as it works with all oem pump etc, and it’s not to pricey If anyone has a good one in mind or can hook me up with one for a good price that would be sooo awesome!… also going to buy a cage, lsk suspension or super shorty? Thanks!!!

TL;DR
there is no “good cheap turbo kit” if you want to go turbo, don’t go cheap and buy a weller kit 😆

· Registered
2020 ss
41 Posts
I’m not turbocharged, yet. But have done plenty of research on it. I pretty much narrowed it down to 3 options for myself. Weller kit: lots of happy Weller customers out there and they are one of the leading yxz aftermarket peeps.
DLP kit: The fact that you can go hi/low boost with some better fuel and a flick of a switch is absolutely awesome, although you run the risk a hurting a stock (19 up) bottom end on hi boost. Neither turbo option is what I’d call cheap.
Kraftwerks supercharger: These guys have a great rep in the Honda community and seem to have an affordable plug n play kit.

· Registered
2021 yxz 1000r
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not turbocharged, yet. But have done plenty of research on it. I pretty much narrowed it down to 3 options for myself. Weller kit: lots of happy Weller customers out there and they are one of the leading yxz aftermarket peeps.
DLP kit: The fact that you can go hi/low boost with some better fuel and a flick of a switch is absolutely awesome, although you run the risk a hurting a stock (19 up) bottom end on hi boost. Neither turbo option is what I’d call cheap.
Kraftwerks supercharger: These guys have a great rep in the Honda community and seem to have an affordable plug n play kit.
Those kits are upwards of 5k, I was looking at the silber kit, not very much boost and works with stock things. Like exhaust as I will be getting a Gibson and I want a turbo with that exhaust. I don’t need a lot more horseys, just a little more. Does anyone have any experience with that kit?

· Registered
462 Posts
weller or none, and heres why (based on my research)
silber, Dlp, alba, etc all load their boost after 5k rpms. even though they all run 6-8psi on their stage 1 kits, they come on late. while that translates to a really fun ride with a hefty punch when boost kicks in, it doesnt trail ride or cruise well. and with every kit you can also overboost due to mechanical failure, which means a pre 19 motor will 100% grenade and even post 19 motors can fail.
the weller kit is linear and peaks at 7psi at 10.5k rpm, but comes on early, which translates to more power EVERYWHERE, not just after 5-6k rpm. so this means the powerband is super manageable while still putting down 50% more power (or so).

just my opinion...driven a few turbo yxzs and after being behind them all the weller kit is the only one id spend my money on. not the cheapest but thats one of the places i wouldnt want to cheap out, especially when it means saving 2 grand costs me 5 grand in repairs

· Registered
2021 yxz 1000r
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
weller or none, and heres why (based on my research)
silber, Dlp, alba, etc all load their boost after 5k rpms. even though they all run 6-8psi on their stage 1 kits, they come on late. while that translates to a really fun ride with a hefty punch when boost kicks in, it doesnt trail ride or cruise well. and with every kit you can also overboost due to mechanical failure, which means a pre 19 motor will 100% grenade and even post 19 motors can fail.
the weller kit is linear and peaks at 7psi at 10.5k rpm, but comes on early, which translates to more power EVERYWHERE, not just after 5-6k rpm. so this means the powerband is super manageable while still putting down 50% more power (or so).

just my opinion...driven a few turbo yxzs and after being behind them all the weller kit is the only one id spend my money on. not the cheapest but thats one of the places i wouldnt want to cheap out, especially when it means saving 2 grand costs me 5 grand in repairs
Hmm that’s an aspect i haven’t thought about, thanks a lot, alright another many months of saving.

· Registered
2021 yxz 1000r
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Couldn’t be happier with my Gen 1 GYTR on my 2021 3 pedal. Excellent manners down low and starts powering up about 4500 rpm. Very good power delivery.
Bought used at a dealer for $2,500.00. Alba reflash and good to go.
I contacted my local dealers (and not local) and none of them had any used turbos. Which is very unfortunate bc that would be a price I would pay any day for a turbo kit

· Registered
177 Posts
You are going to go down a slippery slope really quick. YXZ’s are known for reliability, if you try to piece together a random turbo kit you are going to spend more than you expect and reliability will go out the window. If you can’t pony up for a kit and do not have the know how or experience building turbo kits you won’t be a happy camper trying to piece a kit together. Cheapest is far from the best, if you are looking for value a kit from a reputable place is the best bang for buck. I am someone who is big on value, if you can’t swing spending the money right now just wait or be prepared to blow your motor from bad tuning, equipment malfunction, or just experimenting.

I bought the weller kit and I am very happy, it was completely worth it. I saved money by building my own exhaust and using the fuel controller I already had that worked with the kit.

Cheap, fast, and reliable, pick any of the two you want.

· Registered
2021 yxz 1000r
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are going to go down a slippery slope really quick. YXZ’s are known for reliability, if you try to piece together a random turbo kit you are going to spend more than you expect and reliability will go out the window. If you can’t pony up for a kit and do not have the know how or experience building turbo kits you won’t be a happy camper trying to piece a kit together. Cheapest is far from the best, if you are looking for value a kit from a reputable place is the best bang for buck. I am someone who is big on value, if you can’t swing spending the money right now just wait or be prepared to blow your motor from bad tuning, equipment malfunction, or just experimenting.

I bought the weller kit and I am very happy, it was completely worth it. I saved money by building my own exhaust and using the fuel controller I already had that worked with the kit.

Cheap, fast, and reliable, pick any of the two you want.
Hmmm yeah was just thinking, reliability is a big for me, that’s why I was looking at the silber turbo kit, using stock components and only pumping 150hp I thought that would be a good choice. But after a few folks here said it was crappy quality and wasn’t All that good, I decided against it. Sigh. Weller kit it is… also a question about that kit, do I need a ecu tune? Or does it come with one?

· Registered
462 Posts
Hmmm yeah was just thinking, reliability is a big for me, that’s why I was looking at the silber turbo kit, using stock components and only pumping 150hp I thought that would be a good choice. But after a few folks here said it was crappy quality and wasn’t All that good, I decided against it. Sigh. Weller kit it is… also a question about that kit, do I need a ecu tune? Or does it come with one?
if you go with weller, get their complete package. it has a PC5 i believe that is dialed in and you wont have to retrofit any wiring. the pc5 will handle your tuning

· Registered
405 Posts
K&T Turbo kit #1 runs a GT22 Turbo which prob spools stupid quick, and their set up is pretty clean. Have not seen this in person.

Their #2 kit GT2860 will put you over 240hp-300+ depending on your motor limitations. It's scary fast even at 240.

Weller is next faster spooling turbo from what I've seen in person I would say. I don't know about numbers but I do hear them already spooling just driving around normal. When I've seen them. Fast off the line.

I think GYTRS Ver 2 GT25 is the sweet spot from what I see a lot of YXZ owners say.

GYTR Ver 1 was GT28 which some still hunt down kits

As stated, other turbos above that will spool about at 6k rpm peak power kicks in, big boost.

Up to preference. Do you want small boost early on.... or big boost at full throttle? Short Course racer or High Speed runs?

· Registered
3 Posts
I have a silber kit on a 21model ss with the Dobeck box and running great on 8psi [email protected] on stock bottom end on 93octane pump fuel

· Registered
405 Posts
All you with the Silber. Have you thought of adding the Packard Plenum to compliment it? The only thing on Silicone houses especially those exposed to the elements full time is them collapsing or deterioration of the silicone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts