Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

Best gear reduction for general overall performance

15K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  PoisonFraction 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum, just bought a 2017 YXZ SS SE. Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, please redirect me if so.

I want to be able to have a lower low end for more technical riding, but I don't really want to lose my top end (or at least not a lot of it), and I also don't want to be slamming gears or have a gap too big between gears.

Does anyone have a recommendation on the best overall gearing change and manufacturer that is the best compromise for all of these things? Also, trying to keep my cost down and not wanting to spend a ton of money.

Also, I'd like to upgrade from 27 inch stock tires to 30 inch, and that changes things too right.

Thoughts or suggestions anyone?

#2 ·
I would go with the 2019 gear update. It is cheap and will work with 30s. That would be my choice for my style of riding which is desert, dune and trails. If you are really into rock crawling, then the '19 gears might not be low enough for you. I am still running the stock gears, so not speaking from experience, but that is what I will probably do eventually.

Reactions: WWARt and larryq37
#3 ·
Weller sells the 19 kit for relatively cheap as well. When mine is down for some work I will be doing that mod. I have a 2016 with 29" tires and it is fine for everything but the real slow rocks in WV.

Reactions: larryq37
#4 ·
i have a 16 that I drove for about 1000 miles with stock gearing and tires. Really don't do rock crawling, however have done black diamond trails 9 (these aren't really full on black diamond like in other places) in Angeles Forest and trails in Los Padres with a few rocky assents. Never had a problem, however I felt that a lower first gear would make the experience more enjoyable. I just changed over to the 2019 gears and still have stock tires. I have run the car once on the black diamond Angeles Forrest trails after the change. You still can't stop and start on a steep incline like a belt car. But the car is much easier to drive over rocks at a lower speed. I think that first gear is around 20% lower and the rest are around 10%. My plan is to go larger tires ( have 9x30 and 10x30 Bighorns) to make car ride better and make 2nd through 5th close to stock. The car is apart for long travel installation. I am going to run the car with the 27" once after the long travel is complete. Then I will install the 30" Bighorns. There are four gears that are replaced. Paid about $260 and installed myself. Don't think you will regret the change. I was planning on getting a new 2022 yxz as I thought the 2022 yxz was getting a redesign. Ended up making my car better. Good luck, Dennis B. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

#5 ·
I have a 2016 that I put the 70/30 kit in and ran 30"s for awhile and now have 32"s. I ride east coast so a ton of technical crawling where I have to slip the clutch constantly. If you go this route spend the money and get the 70/30/15 kit to keep your top speed, with 32"s I max at 70mph. That being said the budget way to go is the 2019 gears and if you need a little more a heavy flywheel. The heavy flywheel does take away some acceleration though, I ran one when I was on stock gears and with the reduction for awhile but I like to hill climb a lot and it was killing me getting into second gear where I didnt have a good run so I went back to stock. Another thing to look into is the tubeworks clutch mod. Ive got 2000 miles on my stock clutch with mod and like I said I am always slipping the clutch to crawl and start/stop on hills and it is holding strong.

Reactions: larryq37
#6 · (Edited)
I've heard of a 45/15 gear deduction kit, does anyone know anything about that one?

I won't do a ton of Rock crawling, but we do go to Moab about once a year and might encounter some slow speed crawling there from time to time. Also putting 30's on is gonna take back some of my reduction.

So will the 2019 gears be low enough in 1st? 2 through 5 sounds ok.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Also is the 2019 gear kit a dealer item only or where can I get it? I'm kinda wrenchy so to speak, but IDK if I'd trust myself to put it back together correctly and torque specs and all. Any suggestions?

One more thing, I have the sport shifter woth paddles on the steering wheel

#7 ·
Weller racing is your source for most things yxz.

As far as 70/30 or 45/15 gear reduction, you need to think about what you need more. If you are trying to crawl at all, even once a year you need the 70/30.

The 45/15 is more for west coast duners. If you ride east coast style trails with steep hills and large rocks, you need 70/30.

I have a 17SS also. And I have been in a situation where I had to winch over an obstacle because it kept stalling out trying to crawl.

I purchased the 70/30, but yet to install it. Been too busy.

The 30” tires will negate some of the reduction and give back some top speed. After the 70/30 you would max out just under 60mph. If you need more speed, they have an overdrive 5th gear option to get more top end. I didn’t bother because the trails I ride don’t have enough room to go that fast unless you wanna die.

#8 ·
Tube works calls the 45/15 kit desert gears. They are a little bit lower than the factory 2019 gears, but for the big price difference, most people opt for the 2019 gears. Weller has a kit for the 2019 gears or you can buy the four gears from a dealer.
Before you change anything I would drive the car stock to see how it does on the terrain you like to ride and see how it does.

#9 ·
Highly recommend 70/30/15 if you want the lowest possible first gear without going to a hi/lo T-case. The 70/30 is too low and really robs you of top speed for lower cruising RPM. I have the 70/30 and find myself running back of the pack cruising 55mph so I’m not running the car for long periods of time at 9-10k rpms. I wish I had the 70/30/15. On 31’s I don’t have issues. For super intense rock crawling I’d want a hi/lo T-case

#14 ·
Here is their video.

Reactions: RealtreeYXZ
#15 ·
if you do the 19 gears you will have no issues turning 30s, youll just want to make sure you get a little more hp to help throughout the power range. a simple exhaust and tuner will be more than enough to turn them through all terrain.
2019 here and have had no problems all over sand hollow on 30s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.