Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I use ipad mini and iphone with Scenic Map but in past I was using motion x gps on trails worked good but did not like downloading the maps all the time.

They have some you tube video's you can watch on scenic map if this is what you are looking for ?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Perfect thread as I am too researching GPS systems. I need something Baja capable. The racers all run Lowmance units but there are many that will not take TOPO from Lowrance. I'm am looking strongly here.
Elite 7 HD Baja Includes Point-1 Baja Antenna Detail Page
While I'm a strong supporter of rugged radios and continue to spend a small fortune with them, I called and they have little info on the two units they stock, according to Lowrance they will not run TOPO and the antennae they provide are the cheap ones.
I hate to spend that much but this one is TOPO capable, is large enough that I can read it and has the right antennae. I have a Garmin Montana but I hate the software and its too small for my eyes.

Hoping somebody here has first hand knowledge of these units

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
617 Posts
Almost all Android and newer Apple products have a built in GPS antenna . Some are better than others , Samsung has two different GPS antennas on most of their stuff. They all do require close to line of sight with the satellite so heavily forested areas will loose signal ar times.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I vote for Gaia. I used it at Mammoth for a week, and it was incredible. I also use a Dual XGPS150 (small portable bluetooth) for better accuracy and better refresh rates.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Perfect thread as I am too researching GPS systems. I need something Baja capable. The racers all run Lowmance units but there are many that will not take TOPO from Lowrance. I'm am looking strongly here.
Elite 7 HD Baja Includes Point-1 Baja Antenna Detail Page
While I'm a strong supporter of rugged radios and continue to spend a small fortune with them, I called and they have little info on the two units they stock, according to Lowrance they will not run TOPO and the antennae they provide are the cheap ones.
I hate to spend that much but this one is TOPO capable, is large enough that I can read it and has the right antennae. I have a Garmin Montana but I hate the software and its too small for my eyes.

Hoping somebody here has first hand knowledge of these units
I use the elite 7 hdi with the point 1 antenna. It works great and is easy to read. The downside is the stock lowrance maps suck. replace them with the PCI maps and you are good to go. The only problem I have with the tablet solution is the touchscreen. I drive with gloves. Call me old fashioned but I like physical buttons.
btw make sure you put the gps on a switch and shut it off when you are storing the vehicle as the point 1 antenna draws power when the gps is off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the Lowrance HD 5 in 3 different cars. I got a Baja map file from PCI Race Radios and it really works well. It shows more roads in Baja than the Baja Almanac. We are continually surprised by the amount of roads it has.
I'm considering moving up to the HD 7 but I don't have much room left if I stack gauges on to of the dash.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the Lowrance HD 5 in 3 different cars. I got a Baja map file from PCI Race Radios and it really works well. It shows more roads in Baja than the Baja Almanac. We are continually surprised by the amount of roads it has.
I'm considering moving up to the HD 7 but I don't have much room left if I stack gauges on to of the dash.
I use 2 axia mounts and mount it overhead. Keeps the glare off and I dont have to take my eyes off the road to get a heading.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Could you grab a photo of your mount and where you run it please?
Lowrance GPS Cage Mounts - 2.5"

Here is the mount I use. I just got the car last night so I have not mounted it yet. I am reasonably certain the HDI7 will fit directly over the steering wheel under the roof .Have not figured out the Point 1 mount yet. On my XP1000 I had an aluminum roof to mount it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The lowrance is by far the best setup to go with for a rugged style GPS. Another option for you guys is the Polaris XTR which is essentially the Lowrance HDS-5m but has a nice built in topo/road map (a lot better than the HDS-5m).

The HDS series have a built in internal antenna that work find if you mount it to the dash with no windshield or big aluminum roof. If you do mount it to the top like Bitsiphon you will need to get an external antenna.

Now one thing you do need to know if you buy an external antenna is the best bet is to buy the Point-1 Baja which is $50 more than the Point-1. The HDS series lowrance don't have the ability to power the external antenna so you have to create a NMEA2000 network which the Point-1 Baja comes with the network starter kit. The starter kit is basically a set of wires, one to power the network, and the other to tie the antenna and gps together onto the network. But like Bitsiphon said you want to put the network power on a switch because even with the GPS turned off the external antenna will stay powered if wired directly to the battery and slowly drain the battery.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The lowrance is by far the best setup to go with for a rugged style GPS. Another option for you guys is the Polaris XTR which is essentially the Lowrance HDS-5m but has a nice built in topo/road map (a lot better than the HDS-5m).

The HDS series have a built in internal antenna that work find if you mount it to the dash with no windshield or big aluminum roof. If you do mount it to the top like Bitsiphon you will need to get an external antenna.

Now one thing you do need to know if you buy an external antenna is the best bet is to buy the Point-1 Baja which is $50 more than the Point-1. The HDS series lowrance don't have the ability to power the external antenna so you have to create a NMEA2000 network which the Point-1 Baja comes with the network starter kit. The starter kit is basically a set of wires, one to power the network, and the other to tie the antenna and gps together onto the network. But like Bitsiphon said you want to put the network power on a switch because even with the GPS turned off the external antenna will stay powered if wired directly to the battery and slowly drain the battery.
Chased that battery killer around a race car for weeks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have this system on my boat. Been to lakes in Minnesota, Missouri and where I live in Illinois and the map of the lake pops up as soon as I power on the unit. I like this setup plus I would already be familiar with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nevermind. Just looked to price one and its been discontinued. Guess I could take it off my boat since I have only used it once this year now that I got a yxz.......HA!

·
Registered
26 Posts
https://leadnavsystems.com
This is what I'll eventually get. Have a buddy and a couple different folks I know with this app setup and if you are lookin to keep it simple and use an iPad or iphone, this is the way to go I think. I don't have a lot of experience with most of the gps systems out there but this one has all the bells and whistles. All kinds of stuff you can do. Make custom maps with way points for warnings or hazards and set up distances for audio warnings. Way more stuff then I want to get into here but check them out for another option.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts