Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to add some power to my 2020 YXZ (3 pedal) and was interested in the Alba SBD kit without the cams and also adding the gytr velocity stacks. After searching the forum, I’ve noticed some people had issues with the alba tune causing a dead spot around 7000 rpm. Has this issue been resolved? I’m trying to keep the noise level down but still get the most horsepower for my money. Would you guys consider the SBD kit, or go with a different tune, exhaust, or combination of different brands? Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you want to keep the sound down, I recommend the Alba Spark arrestor in the stock exhaust with either the Alba tune or buy the Flash Tune set-up and put a slip-on only tune it. That should wake it up pretty nice for less than $600 but keep it quieter. The weight penalty of the stock muffler sucks, but life is a trade study..... Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the SBD set up minus the cams. I haven't noticed any flat spots. When I had the tune done the guys at Alba told me that if I had any problems they would make it right. I have a very noticeable power increase from off idle to redline. I also like how quiet it is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The SBD and airbox mod really helped my YXZ come to life. The tune smooths out the power band and the extra low end was a welcome addition to my 2016. Any louder than the SBD kit would be more than I could tolerate. I feel like my purchase was a good value. I was told that the GYTR velocity stacks would hurt the low-end power, so I opted not to install them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I love the SBD kit on my 2016, very noticeable improvement in power across the whole range. Header was easy to install, spark arrestor I had to be patient with but did not snap any bolts. Now the airbox spacer is a PITA. But the gains are worth the effort. SUPER noticeable in the dunes (the main reason I bought the SBD kit). I do not have the cams, it is something I would consider down the road. My land is surrounded by houses and not one person has complained yet. For reference they have made comments about my DRZ400 with yoshi pipe and LT250R with FMF pipe.

Reactions: DBiasii

·
Registered
56 Posts
I forgot about the problems I had getting the bolts out of the muffler. Broke two off and had to drill out. Plan on having to remove the muffler from the car if your bolts are stuck. I used penetrating oil and heat and still had two break off. My car only had about 800 miles when I did the install.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My car had about 1600 miles on it what I did was soak them in PB blaster for days in advance and then treated it like I was tapping something I turn a quarter turn out and turn it back in and spray more PB on it the muffler smoked for hours after finishing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My car had about 200 miles and I broke every bolt. I used penetrating oil, but it didn't help. After the first 2 broke off I said the hell with it. I drilled them out and used self-taping sheet metal screws

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went Weller pipe, tune, and knock offs with an Alba airbox spacer. 20 minute install I think I heard on the spacer. LOL. Not doing it right...

Anyway, I will be doing my first run with the new upgrades in Florence starting 8/6. I'll be there for two weeks so, I should have some decent feedback on that setup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll have to contact alba to see if the tune for the SBD kit will work if I decide to upgrade the velocity stacks at a later time. Does anyone know if they offer a reflash service for a cheaper price if I add more mods in the future?

·
Registered
374 Posts
personally i would not get the SBD kit, but instead i would get the Weller tune, ALBA header, SBD tip, GYTR stacks and GYTR or ALBA or Viper cams. should be a fun boost in power without stressing much else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m looking to add some power to my 2020 YXZ (3 pedal) and was interested in the Alba SBD kit without the cams and also adding the gytr velocity stacks. After searching the forum, I’ve noticed some people had issues with the alba tune causing a dead spot around 7000 rpm. Has this issue been resolved? I’m trying to keep the noise level down but still get the most horsepower for my money. Would you guys consider the SBD kit, or go with a different tune, exhaust, or combination of different brands? Any help is appreciated
I ordered and installed the SBD kit. I'm VERY HAPPY with the upgrade. I don't know what variations they have but mine had the Spacer and the Headers. It was a huge difference to my stock 2021 YZX SS model
I now have about 5,500 miles on it and the power is smooth over the entire range. Never had any problems including through 7000 rpms. Go for it and you won't be sorry!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Dollars for little gain, save up and turbo it. That motor was design for a turbo and it just sings...YOU WILL BE 100% HAPPY YOU DID.
while I’d like to for the added power, it just wouldn’t be worth it for me. I tend not to keep my machines for more than a couple years if that, and like to buy, repair and sell. For now I’m just looking for a decent increase in power and responsiveness which the bolt on mods should provide. I’m from PA also so the amount of time I could utilize the turbo in any wide open trails or fire roads is limited.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know that people always compare it to a power adder saying it is not worth it...but it is a very noticeable gain for 1000 bucks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Why do you prefer the weller tune over the alba?
just my personal experiences here but ill lay out why i feel that way
ran a packard tune on my 16 and liked it. noticed the power and it pulled really hard
did a packard tune and almost lost the motor, they wrote an old tune onto the new ecu which resulted in the fans not turning on properly and i hit 245. they refused to reflash it on their dime. sent to weller and they flashed it and ive never had an issue since. car pulls hard and stays below 200 deg.
thats just my car, i also work on UTVs full time and every car that has an Alba tune and DLP tune feels rough. the power comes on late and strong, not linear at all IMO. they all run hard on top, but down low they all have been feeling like they are just running a little off. i dont know how else to describe it since youd really have to drive a few back to back to feel the difference, the owners all insisted they liked the tunes and they run hard, but on my personal car i would run the weller again without a doubt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just my personal experiences here but ill lay out why i feel that way
ran a packard tune on my 16 and liked it. noticed the power and it pulled really hard
did a packard tune and almost lost the motor, they wrote an old tune onto the new ecu which resulted in the fans not turning on properly and i hit 245. they refused to reflash it on their dime. sent to weller and they flashed it and ive never had an issue since. car pulls hard and stays below 200 deg.
thats just my car, i also work on UTVs full time and every car that has an Alba tune and DLP tune feels rough. the power comes on late and strong, not linear at all IMO. they all run hard on top, but down low they all have been feeling like they are just running a little off. i dont know how else to describe it since youd really have to drive a few back to back to feel the difference, the owners all insisted they liked the tunes and they run hard, but on my personal car i would run the weller again without a doubt
I know what you mean about running rough and feeling off I had that problem with a few of my quads when I cheaped out on upgraded ECU’s the worst being back on my 2003 z400 and a big gun ECU. Ended up paying twice and going with a dynatek that solved all the rough running, flat spots and misses. After talking with you and Kyle at Weller, im going to go with their tune since he said they have one for the Sbd kit. Thanks for the help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts