Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

BFG Tires Falling Apart After 4 Drives

6K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  dumontsand 
#1 ·
I have about 4 or 5 hours of driving on these BFG tires and they are falling apart. Anyone else ever have this happen? WTH?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
No experience with bfg’s, I’ve lost 2 sidewalks on my tensors and they are heavier than advertised and shorter... lol but the treads are holding up great! Is this your rears and are you running 2wd? Looks like a lot of spinning and maybe hard pack track and high psi???

Reactions: Blade10mm
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm in 2 wheel drive all the time on this track (only place I've use these tires). Both back tires look like this. The fronts are not as bad. I am on some hard pack but I never thought they would get thrashed like this so soon. I'll double check the psi. I thought I was pretty low.

#4 ·
What size are they? Are these the truck tire or the UTV specific model?

#5 ·
It’s hard to tell from the picture but I was thinking you might be over heating them

#8 ·
If that ware is from five hours of TRACK use, you have a problem. Looks like the compound is pretty soft, you can tell that by the way the rubber is ruff on top of the lugs. As others have said you can clearly see you have been blowing them clear off, a drop in air pressure to give you more traction will help with the spinning, maybe 10-12 psi. Hell they look like they just finished KOH . Good luck !

#11 ·
I had heard BFG went to a softer compound on the truck tires so prob why you are chunking them apart on the edges, did you call them or the place you bought them?

my last truck ones on a 4-door diesel lasted 68k, they were getting loud. My new ones have 30k and are getting loud and no way will last like the old ones, may need to change my tire choice unfortunately

#13 ·
I run same ones, mostly highway on 3/4 ton towing quite often for work. I also have them on my 1 ton ford that hauls my toys but dont rack up lots of miles per year, my daughters jeep liberty and I have the old style 35's on my 72 chevy which you cant get anymore. Looks like them doing this will make me change tires on the entire fleet next time around, bummer

#17 ·
During my research for my next set of tires for the YXZ led me to a very long post on rzr forums that had the durometer ratings of truck and UTV tires that folks were using. For folks that don't know, durometer tests the hard or softness of rubber. If I remember correctly, the BFG tire was mid to low 50's while the Tensor Regulators and Kanati Mongrels were right around 70, just for reference.

#18 ·
I have 31X10.50R15 BFG Mud Terrain tires on my 17 SS, they are mounted on Fuel bead lock alloys, been on since 100 miles now 1500 miles later and they look like new. That includes a 500 and 650 mile Utah trip up every type of terrain, including some rock crawling.
The first trip I was running about 17lbs and this last trip I ran the whole route at 12 lbs.
My buddies Tensors after 2 trips through Utah in 4 seat RZR look completely worn out. Maybe the truck model BFG that I am running are more durable with a harder compound than your UTV specific tire. They are much heavier however and for track running I would not even think of running them, I am sure there are much better tires for that type of riding. I have not had a flat on these either and the first trip there were 9 or 10 flats over 4 days, and the past 5 day trip there were around 6 flats.
For riding 50 miles away from civilization where you don't want to break down I can't think of a tire that I would trust more, and I have been in the wheel and tire business for 35 plus years. Tire Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Tread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.