Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm having a new carrier made for the front diff and adding 2 more spider gears to it. There is a guy on FB making one but it does not have the splines for diff lock. Hopefully it works and will hold up. Should have it finished in the next 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Finally getting back on the YXZ diff. I've got the first one complete and the 2nd one underway. Once I get the 2nd finished, I will have to send them off for nitriding and cryo.

View attachment 114569
I found out a bit of info on the spider debacle, did you know these gears are made from Sintered metal? Are your new gear made the same way, such as using OEM spiders?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I found out a bit of info on the spider debacle, did you know these gears are made from Sintered metal? Are your new gear made the same way, such as using OEM spiders?
Yep, they are powdered metal. A lot cheaper to make complex parts. I finally got a quote for $350 each to have them machined, next best price was $600 each and i reached out to about 25 different companys across the usa. Im using the stock gears for now though. The other guy that is making a carrier without diff lock is trying to get spiders machined in bulk selling for $100 ea. The blown budget guys last video was talking about all of theirs blown up also. The spiders are just too small. Even the wolverine spiders u can buy individually are bigger. Hopefully this will hold up better. If not Dana 30 here we come!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Damn that's pricey for that little gear, your new set up is bound to be substantially stronger than the OEM. Pretty strange that Yamaha is acting all confused with Dan about blowing out three of them when they clearly know what the problem is.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Not exactly YXZ stuff, but when I bought my YXZ I ordered the X2 shocks to go on it. It was the base model with the RC2 shocks. My game plan was to use the RC2's on my Pioneer and do a long travel setup. While my diff was out on the YXZ I went ahead and tackled the front of the Pioneer. It's 72" wide now and 17" travel in the front. Still got to do the rear. Just picked up some ebay X2 front shocks for the rear as the YXZ rear shocks are too long unless I did a trailing arm setup. Took it out 2 weeks ago and beat the shit out of it and all went awesome.

Resized_20190810_215103.jpeg Resized_20190810_215720.jpeg Resized_20190830_174208.jpeg Resized_20190909_202645.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for sharing your build - I've enjoyed reading about it! I've got a 2019 SS SE Ultra White - so far I've done the GYTR Exhaust and ECU Flash but want more ... much more! I've been looking at the DLP Turbo (I live in Appleton, WI and they are in Green Bay) - how has it held up? Any issues with the Turbo? Service (from them)?

Don't take this wrong - but you sure seem to break a lot of stuff - ;) I've put 3000 miles on mine this first season and haven't had a single issue or breakdown. Now - we don't have the rocky technical stuff I see in your videos - but we drive pretty aggressively on our trails. My fear in doing the DLP over the GYTR is warranty - I do have the five year Yamaha Extended Service plan and it would cover the GYTR - I'm not too worried about the 19' engine but more so about the transmission/drive-train and the additional HP.

Would appreciate your thoughts ... Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for sharing your build - I've enjoyed reading about it! I've got a 2019 SS SE Ultra White - so far I've done the GYTR Exhaust and ECU Flash but want more ... much more! I've been looking at the DLP Turbo (I live in Appleton, WI and they are in Green Bay) - how has it held up? Any issues with the Turbo? Service (from them)?

Don't take this wrong - but you sure seem to break a lot of stuff - ;) I've put 3000 miles on mine this first season and haven't had a single issue or breakdown. Now - we don't have the rocky technical stuff I see in your videos - but we drive pretty aggressively on our trails. My fear in doing the DLP over the GYTR is warranty - I do have the five year Yamaha Extended Service plan and it would cover the GYTR - I'm not too worried about the 19' engine but more so about the transmission/drive-train and the additional HP.

View attachment 114996
I like the air intake system you have there Hub67. I would like to hear and see more.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

View attachment 114996
The DLP has been awesome. The tuning is spot on. We do a lot of technical riding, big rocks, mountains, creeks etc.. so I wanted as much bottom end / mid range as I could get. I do have the GYTR reduction, heavy FW and 32's and can lug in 2nd gear at 7 mph up hill no problem. The power is very linear, more like a 4 stroke bike vs a 2 stroke. I almost always short shift to 2nd because the extra torque will lug it around and 1st will blow the tires off at will. The mid range is much stronger, you dont have to keep it revved to the moon to keep it in the powerband. The DLP is full boost by 5k rpm. From what I've saw the GYTR starts making boost around 5k. Anything over 7psi, you start getting into needing race gas without a custom dyno tune and I only want to run pump gas so the DLP made more sense. From what I've read, the GYTR kit still needs a tune by Alba to run like it should. I put my stock flywheel back on last week and going across my field WOT in 2wd required a lot of driving haha.

The front diff would be my only worry warranty wise. If your not bouncing under power in 4 lock, the front diffs are usually ok. Really shouldn't have trans or rear end issues at 7 psi. Warranties seem to be only as good as your dealer. I've heard mixed reviews on warranty work after the GYTR so you might want to dig into that deeper. Other members on here might have more insight on how that has worked for them, maybe a new post on that would be good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like the air intake system you have there Hub67. I would like to hear and see more.
LOL ... the 'intake' ... is actually routing air to the radiator. After I put the 1/2 windshield on I noticed my temps would go as high as 220 where before they usually were staying right around 200. So I went to Home Depot and picked up some 3" flex tubing and started playing - this is what I came up with. Temps stick right around 200 now and I thought it looked kind of cool.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
LOL ... the 'intake' ... is actually routing air to the radiator. After I put the 1/2 windshield on I noticed my temps would go as high as 220 where before they usually were staying right around 200. So I went to Home Depot and picked up some 3" flex tubing and started playing - this is what I came up with. Temps stick right around 200 now and I thought it looked kind of cool.
Check to see if both of your fans are coming on. Seems like an issue with some of the '19's.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The DLP has been awesome. The tuning is spot on. We do a lot of technical riding, big rocks, mountains, creeks etc.. so I wanted as much bottom end / mid range as I could get. I do have the GYTR reduction, heavy FW and 32's and can lug in 2nd gear at 7 mph up hill no problem. The power is very linear, more like a 4 stroke bike vs a 2 stroke. I almost always short shift to 2nd because the extra torque will lug it around and 1st will blow the tires off at will. The mid range is much stronger, you dont have to keep it revved to the moon to keep it in the powerband. The DLP is full boost by 5k rpm. From what I've saw the GYTR starts making boost around 5k. Anything over 7psi, you start getting into needing race gas without a custom dyno tune and I only want to run pump gas so the DLP made more sense. From what I've read, the GYTR kit still needs a tune by Alba to run like it should. I put my stock flywheel back on last week and going across my field WOT in 2wd required a lot of driving haha.

The front diff would be my only worry warranty wise. If your not bouncing under power in 4 lock, the front diffs are usually ok. Really shouldn't have trans or rear end issues at 7 psi. Warranties seem to be only as good as your dealer. I've heard mixed reviews on warranty work after the GYTR so you might want to dig into that deeper. Other members on here might have more insight on how that has worked for them, maybe a new post on that would be good.
Good to hear you're happy with them! As far as the front diff - I actually do most of my riding in two-wheel drive. I prefer to steer with the throttle and let that back end hang out there. A turbo might be overkill (did I just say that?) but I'd rather have the power and not need it - then need it and not have it :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check to see if both of your fans are coming on. Seems like an issue with some of the '19's.
That was the first thing I checked - both fans running fine. I was shocked at how much the airflow or lack thereof was created by the 1/2 windshield.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts