Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone broken the shifter shaft on their YXZ? I have a 2016 with 2400 miles on it and the shaft snapped off right in front of the e clip, happened attempting a downshift from 2nd to first and it landed in Neutral leaving me stranded as there was not enough shaft to grab on to with anything and put it in gear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope they fixed it, ordered a new shaft today along with all new seals if I have to pull the trans anyway. I was considering a clutch upgrade also while its out even though the clutch feels perfectly fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The same thing happened to me last Sunday. Except I was at the track and it happened when I unloaded it off the trailer, went to stick it in first gear and pop! Broke clean off with the c clip as yours did. Does anyone know how extensive of a repair it is? Does the trans have to come out? Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well After I pulled the trans turns out its not necessary, the shift shaft is under the clutch and I assume can be replaced in chassis.

·
Registered
52 Posts
any more info on this? Just broke mine and if its avoidable id rather not pull the trans. But if i have to i have to

·
Registered
2 Posts
any more info on this? Just broke mine and if its avoidable id rather not pull the trans. But if i have to i have to
I had mine break a year ago. You do not have to pull the trans to fix it. Just the clutch. With the clutch removed the shift shaft pulls right out of the trans.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had mine break a year ago. You do not have to pull the trans to fix it. Just the clutch. With the clutch removed the shift shaft pulls right out of the trans.
Perfect thats what i wanted to hear! Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
well mine broke yesturday just as i got to the top of last chance canyon. put it into reverse backed up put it in 1st started heading down the canyon went for 2nd. thats all she wrote

·
Registered
29 Posts
Broke mine at Little Sahara Ok last weekend. Luckily it left me in 3rd gear and was able to get out of the sand in the middle of the night without too many issues.
Have they changed anything or upgraded this part at all? The new and old part numbers look the same.
Am I just shifting too hard? Definitely dont want this to happen again. It has about 3500 miles on it, only the last 800 have been me. It appears to have been beat pretty hard for those first 2500 miles. The shaft is available but RMATV says the seal is out of stock till mid june! WTF! Might just have to install without a new seal.:confused: Still looking. I need to get it removed to see if I need anything else.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Broke mine at Little Sahara Ok last weekend. Luckily it left me in 3rd gear and was able to get out of the sand in the middle of the night without too many issues.
Have they changed anything or upgraded this part at all? The new and old part numbers look the same.
Am I just shifting too hard? Definitely dont want this to happen again. It has about 3500 miles on it, only the last 800 have been me. It appears to have been beat pretty hard for those first 2500 miles. The shaft is available but RMATV says the seal is out of stock till mid june! WTF! Might just have to install without a new seal.:confused: Still looking. I need to get it removed to see if I need anything else.

-Jeremy
Mine broke at right around the same number of miles

·
Registered
723 Posts

-Jeremy
I have replaced the shift shaft on two machines with way more miles and did not replace the seal in either case. No leaking of any kind. Doubt you will have an issue with not replacing the seal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have replaced the shift shaft on two machines with way more miles and did not replace the seal in either case. No leaking of any kind. Doubt you will have an issue with not replacing the seal.
Thats good to hear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just broke my shift shaft on a trip to Hatfield McCoy. I'm not happy with the design. I'm going to mock up a stop for the forward shift movement and a support for the shifter also. I want to market and sell them as a set. So keep an eye out for when I get them up and running. I feel like I can prevent all failures of the shift shaft.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I finished my first prototype. The fractured shift shaft that would only shift up now shifts down again! I have some refinement to do but I know this would have saved my trip to Hatfield. I should be able to make it a simple bolt on product.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts