Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys,keep it safe out there. Tuesday night my older brother was out for a quick joy ride on his 700 Raptor, the tracks would look like he was drifting a corner on a county gravel road 1/4 mile from his house and it came around on him and would appear that he nearly gained control before leaving the inside of the corner and running into woods/brush. Caught a tree and threw him off, fortunately was found approximately 15 minutes after it happened, unconscious... As of Thursday morning here,they still have him sedated,one collapsed lung and one bruised lung,broken ribs,and blood on the brain and some brain shear. Still on ventilator so we don't know what condition he will be in when removed this weekend. Drama for everyone... So yes,anything to make your toys safer,is a good buy. Regardless the cost! Bent the a-arm and tie rod and headlight housing,so not damage much to the wheeler but devastating to him. (and everyone else)

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Man it can happen so fast . I always thought about off-roading like a scuba diver and to never go alone . Thank god you guys knew to go look for him . Keep us posted .

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That really sucks. Was he wearing a chest protector and helmet? In my old age, I'm starting to prefer a cage.
Unfortunately not...he has the gear and has had quads around for 4-5 years and absolutely knows better than ride without, but seemingly had taken it out to his barn to do chores (quarter mile up the road) and then on the way back went for a joy ride! Seemingly those rides are what often catch up with a fellow!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Unfortunately not...he has the gear and has had quads around for 4-5 years and absolutely knows better than ride without, but seemingly had taken it out to his barn to do chores (quarter mile up the road) and then on the way back went for a joy ride! Seemingly those rides are what often catch up with a fellow!

Not going to lie, I've hoped on a quad or two in my time and failed to put on a helmet. :( Now that I have kids, I try to be a good example. Prays and well wishes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wishing them a speedy recovery. Luckily my dad would beat my arse if I didn’t put on my riding gear when I was young. It just carried over for me. I even threw on a helmet to put my quad on he trailer. I also got hurt enough with all the gear on to think about what would happen with out it, and I too have embraced the cage in my older days. Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wishing them a speedy recovery. Luckily my dad would beat my arse if I didn’t put on my riding gear when I was young. It just carried over for me. I even threw on a helmet to put my quad on he trailer. I also got hurt enough with all the gear on to think about what would happen with out it, and I too have embraced the cage in my older days. Good luck!
Thanks! Dad probably was not hard enough on us,and even though at some point when you were young you may have felt it was a nuisance,it was worth it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update from yesterday: He has had a steady day, they were able to remove the muscle relaxant so that they can work towards putting in a feeding tube. He responded very well to that. He is still sedated. They also are backing down the blood pressure meds as well. He has been having a slight fever now and then. Thanks again for covering us in prayers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Update from yesterday: He has had a steady day, they were able to remove the muscle relaxant so that they can work towards putting in a feeding tube. He responded very well to that. He is still sedated. They also are backing down the blood pressure meds as well. He has been having a slight fever now and then. Thanks again for covering us in prayers.

I had a life threatening crash last year, I know how bad these things can be. I will pray that your older brother recovers so you can enjoy being with him again. I ride with both my brothers so I know how fun that can be. I too have jumped on a bike without gear too, it can happen so quick. Keep us updated

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today has been a day of much excitement for us, Darin has moved all his limbs, he opened his eyes big and wide on command,(not focused) for us tonight!!! The nurses are super hopeful for his recovery because of his responses in the first day after removing some sedation. Also,on and off has been holding his own breathing pace but tires out and has to rely on the ventilator, but looks alot more hopeful, although they are saying he is probably going to have a change in personality (at best case) from where the blood was on the brain. Very worrisome but at least he is still with us!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had a life threatening crash last year, I know how bad these things can be. I will pray that your older brother recovers so you can enjoy being with him again. I ride with both my brothers so I know how fun that can be. I too have jumped on a bike without gear too, it can happen so quick. Keep us updated
It's something we don't like to even say on a thread like this but there is probably a lot of us that are guilty of taking " just a short spin" that turns long, without wearing the proper gear!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing changed overnight. He is defiantly more alert wen he is awake. If anyone is wondering if he has alot of external injuries, he does not. There isn't a scratch or mark on him. He did start getting a bruise where his 3 broken ribs are. If he cooperates they will pull the ventilator today. Also waiting for an MRI.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man he must have hit hard . Did he smack a tree ? Hoping for good progress report soon.
The doctors are saying it all came from twisting! But there is no external scratching or bruising so could well be!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yesterday he got his ventilator pulled around 12. He is on oxygen, and his oxygenation levels are higher now! Which is great!! He tolerates the oxygen blowing up his nose well. They were able to remove his arm restraints. His left arm is very weak, so he takes his right hand and grabs his other hand an puts them on top his head Just relaxing He will count on his fingers, all these thing seem so amazing!!! Cuz last week today they said we shud prepare that he mite never be able to do anything! We have come a long way in a week. Miracles still happen today!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
He said a few words last nite, he knew his name and his wife's name! He is able to swallow pills with applesauce, also he was in a recliner for 2 hours during the nite.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts