Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a bunch of cab heat threads and winter driving threads. Thought I would add this to the mix.

I stole the idea of using a 4" flush deck hatch cover to tap into the radiator heat flowing through the center trans channel. My improvement was to add a 4" ABS "T" from a dust collector to push the warm air into the footwell.

Well, at 10* it kind of worked too well. Damn near melted my boots!

We run a half windshield and the only complaint was a draft from the back of the cab so considering a lower half rear windscreen.

Figured that if it might come in handy for routing a hose to back flush the radiator when she fills it full of mud too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add this.

Added Alpena rock lights from and rear. Found them on sale at the local auto parts store and couldn't resist.

Machined some mounts out of .25 aluminum plate I had on hand. Used the rear bed mounts and front plastic mounts for attachment points. I am nervous that full shock movement might impact the front mounts.

A lot of this becomes easier when you have a full machine shop sitting less than 20' from where your working on you're YXZ.

Oh, did I mention mud flaps?....

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's pretty cool! I wish I could have done that. I have the 2020 YXZ with the radiator in the back. I ordered an Inferno cab heater last week. It still hasn't shipped though. Busy times in December I guess. ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Congrats on the 2020!

Best $10 I ever spent... course the 2 hours spent swearing while I figured out how to fit the T duct in place weren't the best I ever spent.

On the rear mounted radiator just reverse the fans, instant heat!

The only cold air we felt was from the back. But we only run a half windshield and nothing in the back.

You going to run a cab enclosure? I considered enclosing the entire cab for winter running, but figured if it's cold enough to need that, it's too cold to be out running. Though I have considered sewing up a tonneau cover of sorts to try and keep the lower extremities nice and warm.

Where in CDN are you? MiL is a Newfie... with 17 brothers and sisters spread as far as BC.
Nate

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nate, that’s a great idea for heat in cab. I am headed north to upstate MICHIGAN after Christmas for a weekend ride and this would be useful to do. How do wire them to run in reverse? Is it an easy process? Do I need any parts?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not an original idea of mine. There are a couple of threads about doing it. Most just made a jumper plug to do it. They did note that if you have a full windshield it will run warm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes I'm going to run a cab enclosure. I have the Yamaha rear soft window and Yamaha soft sides. I am waiting on an EMP glass windshield and wiper/washer. Yamaha doesn't offer a glass windshield. If they did I would have purchased from them. I do live in Newfoundland. It has a climate that justifies a full enclosure and heater. Also on the part of the island I live (close to St. John's) we don't get very much snow. When we do it generally doesn't last long. This winter maybe different, who knows. The trails do ice up pretty good in February/March. What part of the island is your MiL from?

I traded my 2016 Wolverine in on this YXZ. I had a full DFK hard enclosure on that, cab heater, SSV Works stereo, etc, etc... I wanted the YXZ for the much better suspension which greatly improves ride quality and hence comfort. The Wolverine was a very good machine. The YXZ, so far, is an awesome machine. Love the paddle shift, love the engine sound...no need for stereo in this one with a great sounding engine like that.

Congrats on the 2020!

Best $10 I ever spent... course the 2 hours spent swearing while I figured out how to fit the T duct in place weren't the best I ever spent.

On the rear mounted radiator just reverse the fans, instant heat!

The only cold air we felt was from the back. But we only run a half windshield and nothing in the back.

You going to run a cab enclosure? I considered enclosing the entire cab for winter running, but figured if it's cold enough to need that, it's too cold to be out running. Though I have considered sewing up a tonneau cover of sorts to try and keep the lower extremities nice and warm.

Where in CDN are you? MiL is a Newfie... with 17 brothers and sisters spread as far as BC.
Nate

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here we dont get a lot of snow, about 1-1/2 meters annually. But our temps can hit -40* C, with a high of -29* C. At those temps staying inside by the fire isn't a bad idea.

Wife is the owner of the YXZ, she picked based on performance and that it was a stick. When asked about a windshield she said "No, if I wanted all that I'd put a lift kit and mudders on my truck". LOL

MiL is from Hatchet Cove, she left the island back about '64. But a lot of the family is still there. Wife has been trying to get me up there for a while. After I retire from my current job (still a couple years out). We'll go and spend a couple months playing tourist.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You are in Wisconsin? I've been close to there...Duluth, Minnesota....in the winter. Yep, brrrrrrr. Inside by the fire is the place to be for sure! I bet you have awesome riding trails. I like having the full enclosure all year around here. It keeps out the freezing rain, snow, mud, etc. In Newfoundland the railway halted in 1989....so the old rail bed was turned into a trailway which goes across the island and is maintained. No trailway fees....yet. There are countless side trails, woods roads, etc accessible off the trailway as well.

Here we dont get a lot of snow, about 1-1/2 meters annually. But our temps can hit -40* C, with a high of -29* C. At those temps staying inside by the fire isn't a bad idea.

Wife is the owner of the YXZ, she picked based on performance and that it was a stick. When asked about a windshield she said "No, if I wanted all that I'd put a lift kit and mudders on my truck". LOL

MiL is from Hatchet Cove, she left the island back about '64. But a lot of the family is still there. Wife has been trying to get me up there for a while. After I retire from my current job (still a couple years out). We'll go and spend a couple months playing tourist.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our house sits on a little over 2 ha (5 ac) so she can ride around after work but right now it's still got corn on it. :-(

We also have access to a 335 ha (825 ac) wooded farm that's full of logging roads.

Almost all of the roads around us we can ride, but where is the fun in that.

About 20 km to our north is a network of about 485 km of maintained ATV/UTV and snowmobile trails. Unfortunately they're closed to UTV because it's too warm, go figure. But I can't complain, since its registered we ride the trails for free. IIRC registration cost $30.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I originally cut the holes in my radiator tunnel a few years back as well. Works nice. Recently relocated radiator to the rear and put a fwd/rev switch. Got a switch prewired from amazon for golf cart. We get way more heat this way. Never experienced in the cold temps over 198 fan in reverse. Full windshield. This thing puts out some heat now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm installing the Inferno heater to defrost (and remove condensation) from the front glass windshield that I will be installing as well as increasing comfort level. I had a 2016 Wolverine and the heater was completely necessary for that reason alone.

I originally cut the holes in my radiator tunnel a few years back as well. Works nice. Recently relocated radiator to the rear and put a fwd/rev switch. Got a switch prewired from amazon for golf cart. We get way more heat this way. Never experienced in the cold temps over 198 fan in reverse. Full windshield. This thing puts out some heat now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Use rain x antifog on the windshield. I have dlp fan reversers in my 19, Yamaha windshield and door uppers, emp rear window... Went for a ride the other day (was probably 15° F) out, stayed warm in a hoodie and gloves. Feet got chilly but I did only have sneakers on

·
Registered
54 Posts
If I had seen this forum (and this thread) before ordering the heater I may have tried that. The heater has already shipped. Nice option for anyone who doesn't want to install a heater.

Use rain x antifog on the windshield. I have dlp fan reversers in my 19, Yamaha windshield and door uppers, emp rear window... Went for a ride the other day (was probably 15° F) out, stayed warm in a hoodie and gloves. Feet got chilly but I did only have sneakers on

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey what is this "dlp fan reverser"? I have a 19 and that sounds interesting! Could you give me some more info? Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
DIP (Dual Inline Package) switch. Technically it's a Double Pole Double Throw always on switch. Wired like the drawing it would act to reverse polarity in a circuit. This would need to be wired in between the fan power and fan. Realistically you could cut the wires at the fan motor, wire in the switch and be done. A better way would be to wire a double pole double throw relay and control that with a switch.

That help?

·
Registered
34 Posts
DIP (Dual Inline Package) switch. Technically it's a Double Pole Double Throw always on switch. Wired like the drawing it would act to reverse polarity in a circuit. This would need to be wired in between the fan power and fan. Realistically you could cut the wires at the fan motor, wire in the switch and be done. A better way would be to wire a double pole double throw relay and control that with a switch.

That help? View attachment 115259
Yes thank you very much! So when the fan kicked on it would throw the heat from the rad into the cab, I like it. Any drawbacks you can see? Overheating issues? I'm thinking since it would be cold out probably not...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes thank you very much! So when the fan kicked on it would throw the heat from the rad into the cab, I like it. Any drawbacks you can see? Overheating issues? I'm thinking since it would be cold out probably not...

Beware if you are GYTR turbo. I was about to do this job this weekend but I have a 19 with GYTR turbo and reversing the fans will blow warm air right into the air filter intake. Kind of defeats my intercooler. So I would need to reroute my intake to do this.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I had seen this forum (and this thread) before ordering the heater I may have tried that. The heater has already shipped. Nice option for anyone who doesn't want to install a heater.

Was thinking of you this afternoon. Was running on the test track aka backyard. Ran for about two hours temps around -10c in 24cm of snow with a light snow falling. Had my usual light jacket, driving gloves and full face helmet. By the time I was done I had to stand around outside for 15 minutes to cool down. With 1/2 windshield I stayed dry and comfortable.

I did add fender flares to keep the snow out of the cab, but other than that no changes.
Nate

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey what is this "dlp fan reverser"? I have a 19 and that sounds interesting! Could you give me some more info? Thanks!

Dirt Launch Powersports, they make a small jumper for your fans harness that just swaps polarity. Unplug the fans, plug the jumper in line, and now fans are reversed. Pushes air through the radiator and into the cab

1 - 20 of 31 Posts