Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dirt Launch Powersports, they make a small jumper for your fans harness that just swaps polarity. Unplug the fans, plug the jumper in line, and now fans are reversed. Pushes air through the radiator and into the cab
Thanks! I'm going to look into it now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's awesome! I have my windshield and inferno heater installed. Love both. Too much snow here! There was a state of emergency where the place was shut down for a week in January with only emergency vehicles allowed to move and all businesses closed. Ridiculous amount of snow still on the trails.

Was thinking of you this afternoon. Was running on the test track aka backyard. Ran for about two hours temps around -10c in 24cm of snow with a light snow falling. Had my usual light jacket, driving gloves and full face helmet. By the time I was done I had to stand around outside for 15 minutes to cool down. With 1/2 windshield I stayed dry and comfortable.

I did add fender flares to keep the snow out of the cab, but other than that no changes.
Nate View attachment 115548

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's awesome! I have my windshield and inferno heater installed. Love both. Too much snow here! There was a state of emergency where the place was shut down for a week in January with only emergency vehicles allowed to move and all businesses closed. Ridiculous amount of snow still on the trails.
That sucks. We got 2 back to back storms of around 25 - 30 cm each (10" - 12"). Both were light fluffy powder. Wife never missed an opportunity to tear it up.

Though one time she did over do it just a bit..

Would have been fine except that's the lawn....

Fortunately this weekend got sidelined. Friday morning it was -32*C (-26*F). Anything below -12*C (10*F) I have difficulty starting and keeping the engine running. So I'm taking the time to build an internal winch mount and install a Yamaha trail bumper.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Awesome pics! Your wife looks like she's having fun! It has been cold here recently as well. -18C or ~0F. No issues starting....but I keep my garage heated to 16C or 60F....and no issues keeping it running in those temps. I find it odd that your engine has issues running below -12C. Having said this I have only been on the trails very briefly. An hour at the most due to the snow. Luckily snowmobiles have the trails hard packed in most places but there are still sections that could easily bury this machine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Awesome pics! Your wife looks like she's having fun! It has been cold here recently as well. -18C or ~0F. No issues starting....but I keep my garage heated to 16C or 60F....and no issues keeping it running in those temps. I find it odd that your engine has issues running below -12C. Having said this I have only been on the trails very briefly. An hour at the most due to the snow. Luckily snowmobiles have the trails hard packed in most places but there are still sections that could easily bury this machine.
I keep her shop heated and so warm starts aren't an issue. She's run it out back down to -17*C (0* F) without issue. Even shutting it down and letting it cool off for an hour is fine.

I run into problems when we trailer it and go for a machine cold start. Where engine, fluids, etc have cooled below 10*F. Then getting it crank and run reliably for the 10 minutes it takes to come up to operating temp aren't always guaranteed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh. I'll have to keep that in mind if I stop anywhere for an hour or more when the temps are cold. Do you use full synthetic fluids? ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Oh. I'll have to keep that in mind if I stop anywhere for an hour or more when the temps are cold. Do you use full synthetic fluids? ;)
So far stopping is fine, though overnight might prove to be an issue. I think longest it's set after running was about 2-3 hours at around -12* C. It coughed a few times before catching, once it caught it ran rough for a few minutes. After that it was fine.

More of an issue of breathing too cold air on a cold engine. I've though about putting together a air preheater with a thermostat for cold running/cold starts. Kinda like we had on cars back in the 70's where the carb breathed air warmed by the exhaust manifold till it was up to temp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm installing the Inferno heater to defrost (and remove condensation) from the front glass windshield that I will be installing as well as increasing comfort level. I had a 2016 Wolverine and the heater was completely necessary for that reason alone.
I bought the inferno cab heater for my 2019. Does not work great in suggested location. Ended up running one of the rad fans in reverse, lots of heat now but beware of carbon monoxide from exhaust. Going to move the inferno cab heater in the passenger compartment to see if it works better. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Works fantastic in suggested location. That's where mine is.

I didn't exactly follow the manufactures installation instructions as they are written though.

The first issue I noticed was the suggested T fitting tie in with the thermostat. If I had installed in that location the cooling hose would have (without a doubt) rubbed off one of the brackets on the engine and wore through fairly quickly. Same as can be said for the thermostat housing itself. It would have been rubbing against another area where its housing would have eventually failed. See attached pic showing where I moved it using outsourced 1" heater hose.

Also the other T tie in under the machine wouldn't have worked there either. The manufacture suggests placing the T in the short bend of the line. I did, at first, attempt this but that only allows too much of a bend in the newly installed hose and would seriously restrict flow. If you followed the instructions and installed the T there I suspect that's why you are not getting the expected heat. You most likely have a seriously restricted flow of coolant. In order to fix this I removed the factory metal coolant line going back to the radiator (on the drivers side, rear) and replaced with 1" heater hose so there would not be a bend in the line and hence restricted coolant flow.

This is not the first time I have had to "modify" manufactures installation instructions to make a product work as advertised. I am completely satisfied with the output heat from this product. I leave my garage and notice heat starting to come from the vents with the engine coolant temperature showing 50 degrees C minutes after starting. When the engine reaches operating temperature very soon after the heat coming from the vents is quite hot. I have noticed that both radiator fans come on when the engine coolant temperature reaches 96 degrees C and very quickly cools the engine to 86 degrees C. See attached pics. Locally I sourced the 1" heater hose from UAP NAPA in case you (or anyone else) were wondering.

IMG_4831.JPG IMG_4832.JPG IMG_4835.JPG

I bought the inferno cab heater for my 2019. Does not work great in suggested location. Ended up running one of the rad fans in reverse, lots of heat now but beware of carbon monoxide from exhaust. Going to move the inferno cab heater in the passenger compartment to see if it works better. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the information, mine works great when the bike is not moving but when i'm moving it starts to blow cold air. I have already modified the left side with 1 inch coolant hose and I will have to do the same on the right and give it a try. This kit does not work very well if not modified to fit(rubbing issues).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts