Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual doesn't indicate and I have searched this forum and googled it to no avail! Can you switch from 2WD to 4WD (not diff lock) when moving and if so does it matter the speed when you shift (turn the knob)?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Doesn’t matter what speed as long as there isn’t any tension in the drive line such as forward thrust or engine braking. Because the whole drive train is spinning at the same speed if simply driving so it just meshes the 4x4 gearing. That being said I would make sure that the 4x4 indicator is lit up before you do anything technical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
The manual does indicate that FWD mode changes should be made at a stop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I’ve shifted mine many times while moving and definitely hasn’t hurt anything but I’m sure that it’s great if you do stop, so as to make sure you don’t abuse it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
As long as you are able to roll smoothly without and forward thrust of engine or engine braking but floating in between with the throttle when you shift it will go in nicely. Everything is already turning you are just connecting the front to the power.

·
Registered
651 Posts

Reactions: Russell06

·
Registered
88 Posts
Shit I never read that. I change mine on the fly all the time. Like mentioned above just not under crazy stress. Figured it works like a Chevy or Toyota truck. I usually stop for diff lock tho. But to answer the other question you can go as fast as it will let you I. Diff lock. It limits the rpm”s tho. Lowers the rev limit in diff lock but I can’t remember to what

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shit I never read that. I change mine on the fly all the time. Like mentioned above just not under crazy stress. Figured it works like a Chevy or Toyota truck. I usually stop for diff lock tho. But to answer the other question you can go as fast as it will let you I. Diff lock. It limits the rpm”s tho. Lowers the rev limit in diff lock but I can’t remember to what
I don’t remember either but I was worried the first time I run into the lowered rev limiter!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don’t remember either but I was worried the first time I run into the lowered rev limiter!!

Lol same. I was already racing my mind to remember what was left in my savings account I swear these things are like a boat. But more fun lol.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I unload the gears and switch between 2 and 4 while moving. I stop for diff-lock and move slowly back and forth until the light stops flashing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am always shifting mine on the fly between 2 and 4 wheel. I do stop for diff lock, and do the shuffle. I have never heard any noises going between the 2. It does seem to go into 4 wheel with out any problems, no matter what situation I am in, but you have to unload the drivetrain to switch back to 2 wheel.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It isn't a problem moving and locking in four wheel drive as everything is already spinning at same rate your just connecting the front to the driven shaft. Since it is all spinning at same speed it is self synchronized.

I do not recall it lowering rpm limiter in diff lock EXCEPT when it isn't locked in yet. Maybe it does but don't think so. I do not use it often or ever really except to cycle it and may drive a mile occasionally but can't recall it restricting the cars performance just doesn't drive worth a darn of course.

You can't read everything for face value in a manual. Some manuals for a MX bike may say to use the clutch for every shift too. Who does that ? No one that knows how to ride a MX bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It isn't a problem moving and locking in four wheel drive as everything is already spinning at same rate your just connecting the front to the driven shaft. Since it is all spinning at same speed it is self synchronized.

I do not recall it lowering rpm limiter in diff lock EXCEPT when it isn't locked in yet. Maybe it does but don't think so. I do not use it often or ever really except to cycle it and may drive a mile occasionally but can't recall it restricting the cars performance just doesn't drive worth a darn of course.

You can't read everything for face value in a manual. Some manuals for a MX bike may say to use the clutch for every shift too. Who does that ? No one that know how to ride a MX bike.
It for sure lowers it in diff lock. There was a whole thread on here where a guy thought he was having problems and turned out it was locked in and he never realized it. Then after the thread I accidentally did it one day. It’s not by much but it will scare the shit out of you if you don’t realize it’s locked.
And yep. In 30 years of racing motocross I use my clutch to start and stop then bang gears the rest of the time. Even in my first yxz it had the floor clutch. I treated it just like a dirtbike and it had 8k miles on stick clutch when I sold it. But people love to argue rather clutch is needed or not. It’s like discussions on oil. People are set in there ways and it’s not going to change by reading other people’s experiences lol. I just go on what’s worked fine for me and hope for the best.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use the clutch on my quads because it just feels so much smoother, especially when down shifting. Don't have to worry about being so exact when you shift. You can feather it back in to full lock. Slipping the clutch when shifting in certain situations has real advantages. Like coming down hill in gravel and wanting to down shift for a corner, you don't have to worry about shifting too soon and locking up the rear wheel. With using the clutch you can feel how much resistance you are getting from the tire and adjust how much engagement you allow. Also when upshifting you can slip the clutch to keep the motor in the rpms you want, especially on 4 strokes helps me from stalling the engine in certain situations. For me it just gives me more control and a smoother ride. Not saying one way is better than the other, just what works best for me and my riding style.

On the sxs I'll gladly give up the clutch to not have to push the pedal all day long and let up on the gas to shift. On my 16 3 pedal it was so much more tiresome pushing the clutch all day long. Find there is a big difference in fatigue using hand controls vs. foot.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I use the clutch on my quads because it just feels so much smoother, especially when down shifting. Don't have to worry about being so exact when you shift. You can feather it back in to full lock. Slipping the clutch when shifting in certain situations has real advantages. Like coming down hill in gravel and wanting to down shift for a corner, you don't have to worry about shifting too soon and locking up the rear wheel. With using the clutch you can feel how much resistance you are getting from the tire and adjust how much engagement you allow. Also when upshifting you can slip the clutch to keep the motor in the rpms you want, especially on 4 strokes helps me from stalling the engine in certain situations. For me it just gives me more control and a smoother ride. Not saying one way is better than the other, just what works best for me and my riding style.

On the sxs I'll gladly give up the clutch to not have to push the pedal all day long and let up on the gas to shift. On my 16 3 pedal it was so much more tiresome pushing the clutch all day long. Find there is a big difference in fatigue using hand controls vs. foot.
Your right some quads even sport ones like my Raptor does not shift the same as my YZ450 for sure.

Slipping the clutch some to pull out of a situation rather than full downshift definitely but I try not to get to used to that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The manual doesn't indicate and I have searched this forum and googled it to no avail! Can you switch from 2WD to 4WD (not diff lock) when moving and if so does it matter the speed when you shift (turn the knob)?
I shift in & out of 4x4 all the time on the go.
As far as dif-loc full stop & 8k is max rpm.
It will cutout @8K

1 - 18 of 18 Posts