Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cmon Guru's!! I don't mind first gear too much in this thing-- That being said it is a bit of a dog until 6000 rpm-- I was wondering if its possible to swap out gears and give this thing a little low end--

Let me know possibilities-- This could help the climbing crowd as well as east coasters..
Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
not to steal your thread, but i have a question for you. I just got mibe yesterday and its still in break-in mode (3 hours), is your 4th gear a bit whiney?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Good idea in concept, but where are you going to get those replacement gears?

Reactions: jfulps

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there-- Yeah as I remember correctly, all of my gears were a bit nasty sounding at first-- Its a lot better now- You'll get used to it.. especially the clacking.. that was ridiculous, but once you get used to shifting, the clacking isn't half as bad as it was-- Hope this helps

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Machine shops with cnc machines do it all the time-- It would take somebody who knows the machine to do it and make the clearances correct-- but it could be done..

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Machine shops with cnc machines do it all the time-- It would take somebody who knows the machine to do it and make the clearances correct-- but it could be done..
At some point I bet someone will do this but Its all about demand. if enough people want it done someone will get on it. Your wanting more of a granny low correct?
Can you take off in second gear now without any problem?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At some point I bet someone will do this but Its all about demand. if enough people want it done someone will get on it. Your wanting more of a granny low correct?
Can you take off in second gear now without any problem?
Oh yEAH--I could probably roll out in 3rd if I wasn't such a fat ass..=) This thing is lacking take off speed-- I can feather the clutch and do whatever need be done, but getting it to jump off the line and roast isn't possible at this point-- At 30 mph it seems to start pulling, but I wrestle with it prior to 30-- Ive got a couple months left before I have Alba do the reflash.. Im gonna swing down there today and talk to Nate-- I want to know if the reflash gives this thing a little more on the low end.. I have been taking off at 6500rpm and it seems to be fine, but I know this engine has a lot hidden, and I want to find it!=)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Oh yEAH--I could probably roll out in 3rd if I wasn't such a fat ass..=) This thing is lacking take off speed-- I can feather the clutch and do whatever need be done, but getting it to jump off the line and roast isn't possible at this point-- At 30 mph it seems to start pulling, but I wrestle with it prior to 30-- Ive got a couple months left before I have Alba do the reflash.. Im gonna swing down there today and talk to Nate-- I want to know if the reflash gives this thing a little more on the low end.. I have been taking off at 6500rpm and it seems to be fine, but I know this engine has a lot hidden, and I want to find it!=)
I think the reflash will help some with the low end acceleration if they are increasing the timing to make it a little snappier. On the dyno chart it would look like a steeper acceleration slope. So it gets to those power rpms faster. If that does work, it may take getting different cams and I know Alba will be working on that if they are not already.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I'm still in the break in so when I shift at 6500 it's clanky. When took it up to higher rpm's and it shifts much smoother.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think the reflash will help some with the low end acceleration if they are increasing the timing to make it a little snappier. On the dyno chart it would look like a steeper acceleration slope. So it gets to those power rpms faster. If that does work, it may take getting different cams and I know Alba will be working on that if they are not already.
I think their cam is done. Shouldn't be long before they have the cam, fuel controller, ECU reflash and exhaust ready to go.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Dropping in a lower 1st would risk creating an annoying, RPM-robbing gap between 1st and 2nd. How are the ratios spaced now? Pretty good, or no?

I wouldn't want to be a test engineer for that solution.

I seem to recall a YXZ video that has the machine topping out at 78 MPH in 4th gear (am I remembering that correctly?). If so, that would leave 5th gear as something that could be tapped into with the use of shorter diff gears as was mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The transmission input shaft gear where it turns the clutch drum might be another place to look if you want to lower all the gears instead of just 1st.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I still like the idea of a 2:1 reduction gearbox between the engine and transmission. It would seem to offer the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
286 Posts
a cam change since it doesnt have much low end grunt and you say its a dog till 6000 rpm get a low end cam made for it cheeper and easier than a gear beaing made

·
Registered
831 Posts
RubberSide and DallasDog have the recipe for my fabled 2017 "YXZ Trail XC." :cool:

Add a more compliant initial stroke in the suspension (and a 6th gear), and we're ready to go. :confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think a diff regear may be an eventual answer
Diff re-gear would be the most logical approach, especially if there is another set of diff gearing for future models?

The biggest obstacle to changing diff gears is strength! Lets say it has 3.90 gears in it and to make the gearing 20% lower which I think it needs, especially for those that want to run 30's you would have to go to a 4.68 ratio. The problem with this is it also decreases strength and the front diff is pretty small. When you lower gear ratios (higher numerically) you need to add teeth. To do this you need to take away metal, which in this case of a small front diff is not so good.

Of course lowering the gear ratio would also lower the top speed from 100 mph - (5th gear redline with flash) to around 80 mph redline.

This would really help the car in every way except one - the guy that's planning a turbo and could care less about going slow again on his favorite trails!

On this Forum everyone thinks they need to go fast and say that they could care less about going slow, but if I was to guess or bet money on it - I would say their average mph on their old machine is less than 12 mph!!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
This would really help the car in every way except one - the guy that's planning a turbo...
It would keep the revs up at lower speeds and have that turbo pumping earlier. Maybe a benefit (?)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts