Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have their check engine light come on. Mine is on and it's idling at 2k and a little erratic. Is there a way to check the codes? And are there any service manuals out yet? This is frustrating at 43 miles and 6 hrs. on machine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed the Rekluse clutch and haven't taken it out of the garage before this light came on. Any idea of what vacuum leak to look for?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Also may want to follow your throttle cable too. We pinched ours one time on the Rzr and not only did it throw a code it would run some of the time and then go into limp mode sparaticly.
We pinched it putting a winch plate on it too. lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak(easy to check and fix). I would see if a hose just came loose...

Nate
Alba Racing
+1 Check for air leaks downstream from the throttle body. Start the engine, and while it is idling, spray a little starting fluid or brake cleaner around the intake. The engine will change RPM when it sucks in the starting fluid through the air leak. I believe the engine codes are displayed through the odometer ( between the fuel gauge and the speedo ). If there are any codes displayed, the manufacturers are usually consistent with their definitions. I don't have a service manual for the YXZ yet but I do have one for my 2014 VMax that I can check for definitions. Also check for any unplugged or pinched wires or ground wires that were left loose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked for leaks but got nothing. I don't see any type of code flashing just the check engine light's on. It's idling around 16 grand now and goes up and down slightly. I took it for a spin and it runs out fine also.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I checked for leaks but got nothing. I don't see any type of code flashing just the check engine light's on. It's idling around 16 grand now and goes up and down slightly. I took it for a spin and it runs out fine also.
Download the service manual that was posted if you dont want to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I hate to say it but its rarely a coincidence when something goes wonky after an upgrade. Might need to backtrack

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well you need a Yamaha diagnostic tester to get the code to know why the light is on but you said this happen after the Rekluse was install.

Check the throttle cable for not binding or holding the throttle body open a little this can causing a throttle position sensor out of normal spec when keyed on if you find the throttle blade is being held open fix the problem if the light will not go out after the repair then unhook the battery cables and put the negative and positive cable ends together for 30 minutes to drain pcm capacitors this can erase the fault code sometimes and will put the pcm back to default values.

You might have a ( Idle Speed Controller ) problem or vacuum leak but check the throttle cable first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will check the cable. It was tight getting in there to install rekluse and the cable is right there its possible. I've back tracked and checked everything else. I'm glad to know how reset the pcm. Just doing that may work. It ran fine for 20 minutes or so after I installed the clutch before this happened.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried erasing the code that way but it didn't work. I can't find anything wrong with the throttle cable but where it goes through the tunnel. If I tug on it just a little it idles up. Should it do that? I don't have to move it but a couple inches for it to rev higher.

·
Registered
348 Posts
You should have a little play in the throttle cable are you on the throttle body linkage base screw ?

Are both ends of the throttle cable & lock nuts tight ?

The idle speed controller has a fresh air inlet hose pinch this off and see if it idle down ?

Check for any unmetered air leaks after the throttle body's ?

Now you could back probe the pcm to see the sensors values but I don't know if you have a dvm lab scope to do this and use the pcm wiring diagram plus on some pcm you have to use the scanner to clear the codes if the battery disconnect and cap discharge method did not work but if the code is a hard fault it will not clear until the wiring / sensor or problem is fixed first.

If you are on the throttle body linkage base screw and no leaks you will have to go to the dealer under warranty to find out what the fault code is.

Keep us updated and I hope you are fixed up soon.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well it sounds like the isc is stuck open or being commanded open to much by incorrect sensor information the yxz will have to go to the dealer under warranty to find out what the fault code is and then do some pin testing they might find a bad wire or connection or failed tps / isc / pcm the code is the next step of need to know information.

Keep us update... I wish we could get the code with out a special tool needed :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally got it to dealer. Even though they didn't have the correct computer to hook to it the say it's the speed sensor so one has been ordered. Should be in next week.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
My check engine light come on, it was a code 42. The dealer tested all the related components and all was good. Yamaha decided to replace the ECU,
so it is on order. In the meantime, the YXZ runs normal likely an intermittent problem of some sort.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts