Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new here just got a fully race ready 2016 yxz every bolt on you can do like 2019 gear reduction sway bar upgrade full exhaust dirt launch intake and tune. Hess cooling fans bed delete double e racing shocks. My question is I do mostly dune riding. I was wondering if the 30 inch paddles are going to be an issue. Any advise will help thank you

·
Registered
587 Posts
You will be fine with 2019 gears 30" tires if you run buffs like Sand Crafts or Skat Tracks. Also you want to run 8 or 9 paddle's on the back. If you are going to run heavy paddle's you might want to run 28" tires.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If its got a semi built motor you'll be fine. 2019 gears are happy with a 28" on a NA motor but 30" skats are lighter (just make sure you don't over paddle it. 9 paddles tops)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just to throw my 2 cents in and ask a question at the same time. I have a stock powered 16 with 70/30 trans.
When I bought the car it came with a set of sand slinger efx 27x 13 x14 rears and half smoothed and half ribbed fronts. I don't know the paddle count at the moment.
At Pismo it seemed to dig into the sand once I was at a dead stop. But it seemed to be on the rev limiter all the time. 8psi in the rear.
In Oregon I really didn't notice a difference between paddles and running 30 inch GBC grim reapers.
Didn't try the reapers at Pismo.
So I'm not sure if it's my lack of hp, or lack of knowledge.
Other than getting more sand in my face from the reapers in the front, they seemed fine in the sand.
So IDK what paddle if any will help me, or if I need them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys new here just got a fully race ready 2016 yxz every bolt on you can do like 2019 gear reduction sway bar upgrade full exhaust dirt launch intake and tune. Hess cooling fans bed delete double e racing shocks. My question is I do mostly dune riding. I was wondering if the 30 inch paddles are going to be an issue. Any advise will help thank you
Ok thanks guys appreciate the advise

·
Registered
2020 ss
2 Posts
I’m a long time lurker around here and thought I should chime in on this topic... I did a ton of research and reading before making my decision on a dune set up. Lighter is better, always. I went with 30x12.5 skats 9 paddle on Alba 14x10 wheels in the rear and 30x10 system3 ss360 on 14x7 front. It was expensive but worth it. The improvement over aired down bighorns was dramatic and changed how I could drive in the dunes. Before I had to carry a lot of momentum up to the base of a hill and hit the transition hard to make it up everything. Now I can drive it more like my atc and cruise up to the base and then nail the throttle and it shoots up the hill. My 2020 is stock engine (for now) and I’m proly just a tad overpaddled (for now) so I run the rears at 15psi to get a little more spin out of them. Spend the money on skats or stu’s get as light wheels as you can is my recommendation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
get some packard wheels they only weight 7lbs each this alone will give you a bunch more power. run 8-10 paddles at most. in the rear. 28's for stock. 30's for boosted :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
i have a 19 ss se. ran 27 skats and was disappointed with how little their floatation was. the stock 29 bighorns had better floatation in the sand. now i run 30" paddles and love it. 30" paddles all the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m a long time lurker around here and thought I should chime in on this topic... I did a ton of research and reading before making my decision on a dune set up. Lighter is better, always. I went with 30x12.5 skats 9 paddle on Alba 14x10 wheels in the rear and 30x10 system3 ss360 on 14x7 front. It was expensive but worth it. The improvement over aired down bighorns was dramatic and changed how I could drive in the dunes. Before I had to carry a lot of momentum up to the base of a hill and hit the transition hard to make it up everything. Now I can drive it more like my atc and cruise up to the base and then nail the throttle and it shoots up the hill. My 2020 is stock engine (for now) and I’m proly just a tad overpaddled (for now) so I run the rears at 15psi to get a little more spin out of them. Spend the money on skats or stu’s get as light wheels as you can is my recommendation.
I’m thinking about putting the system 3 360 tire on the front of my stock ‘17, currently running skat buffs. On the rear I have 28” 8 paddle. Does the extra grip on the front pull too much power out of the drive train , bogging? Getting tired of my sand jeep buddies asking why I didn’t paddle the front and that front paddles are too much but would like the extra umph when racing up hills against them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m thinking about putting the system 3 360 tire on the front of my stock ‘17, currently running skat buffs. On the rear I have 28” 8 paddle. Does the extra grip on the front pull too much power out of the drive train , bogging? Getting tired of my sand jeep buddies asking why I didn’t paddle the front and that front paddles are too much but would like the extra umph when racing up hills against them.
I thought of that too myself. But I'm commited with my slick front tires for now. But i see a few guys run them

·
Registered
2020 ss
2 Posts
I usually run the dunes behind a long travel buggy who absolutely rips and is among the fastest people in glamis (bold statement, I know). One of the reasons I went with the yxz was because staying with him leaves a trail of broken belts and sometimes entire can-ams. I couldn’t keep up with the bighorns and in 2wd with paddles it wasn’t much better. So I’m pretty much always 4wd and the extra pull from the front tires seems to help me keep up a little better. I also like the handling better in 4wd. 2wd gets really tail happy. I need turbo lol then the fronts would proly matter less.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts