Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone pulling 6k+ with a gasser class A? Lookin to pick up a Newmar bay star with V10 but all of their gassers are only rated at 5k. Lookin for options without totally exceeding manufactures capacities or my budget. Would like to haul 20’ enclosed trailer with SxS and Harley or 2 SxS which will put me at about 6500 with gear in trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not sure how nice of a rig you are looking for but I have a 1995 Holiday Rambler 36' Endeavor. It has a Ford 460, tag axle and gear vendors overdrive unit. Not really sure of the towing capacity. Does the newmar have a tag axle? I have ridden in ones with and without. The tag definitely rides better and I can only imagine it would up the towing capacity.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No tag. Only lookin for 29-34 footer. First RV and stuck between a super C or class A. Gas or diesel...I’m leaning toward a gas class A or diesel super C. Seems like the C’s have more towing capacity unless you get into a diesel pusher.

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
You won't find a class A gas with more than a 5k tow rating. Super C's with gas engines will have up to a 10k tow rating.

If you are looking to spend Super C money I'd look hard at used pushers. My 40' pusher is only rated at 5k but my trailer alone weighs 5200lbs, add up to two cars in it and I'm pushing 9klbs. Tows it fine, just hope I never get weighed or get in a wreck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s exactly what I’m starting to find out. Don’t quite understand how the regular C’s on a van chassis with same engine/driveline as the gasser A have a greater GCWR than a small A gasser. I was contemplating pushing the limits with the gasser A. Just upgrade the hitch and 7 pin plug with brake controller. Do you run a distributing hitch? I’d imagine you are well over 60’ also?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Diesel all day long if you want to tow that much weight. Just about all diesel pushers are rated at 10k and you won’t even know a 6.5k trailer is back there. Check out the Tiffin allegro Red models (they are smaller), you can get used for price of new gasser and ther is no comparison in ride/comfort etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. My ideal setup would be no longer than 30’, diesel and single slide. Just 2 of us and 2 bulldogs. I want the towing capacity with no need for a train goin down the road. 30’ RV with a 22’ car hauler would be sufficient. Kind of curious with ground clearance on the class A’s also, as far as getting in and out of some dunes/atv parks.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I have a 1999 Bounder 34J with a V-10 Ford and Ford chassis. I upgraded to the full Banks system and pull an Interstate 20 foot cargo with three dirt bikes and the YXZ in it. I replaced the factory 3500lb receiver hitch with a 6000lb rated. I'm a bit over 5000 loaded. All goes well until I go over a mountain pass or downhill on a steep grade. The V-10 Ford has no heating issue but the Tranny is the weak link. If you can afford a diesel you get the air brakes, Downhill exhaust brake, etc. etc. You also get a much bigger price tag for service and repairs. I only tow this 3-4 times a year so I get away with it but coming down a steep, long grade with standard brakes is a bit hair raising with this much weight. I go up San Raffel pass 25 mph. It's fine on the flat or slight hills. The trailer actually makes the rig more stable in a wind storm. I am right at the overall limit of the entire rig. The Vortech 8.1 Chevy on the work horse chassis has more towing capacity buy not a lot. It's more powerful but drinks even more gas. Just my 2 cents. If you have the money and need to go in the mountains, get a diesel

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Definitely if you can the diesel pusher is the way to go. You get a better frame, axles, brakes, tires , torque and cooling system . There are very good buys out there in the early 2000 models.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks. My ideal setup would be no longer than 30’, diesel and single slide. Just 2 of us and 2 bulldogs. I want the towing capacity with no need for a train goin down the road. 30’ RV with a 22’ car hauler would be sufficient. Kind of curious with ground clearance on the class A’s also, as far as getting in and out of some dunes/atv parks.

Well everything will be a compromise. I think if ground clearance/dunes are a concern you might be better off with a toy hauler and 4x4 truck. Class A’s aren’t very good outside improved roads, they are very heavy and 2 wheel drive.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That seems to be the general consensus. Air brakes/suspension does sound appealing. Having diesel trucks for many years, I’m aware of the expensive repairs, thankfully not often though. The Tiffins are pretty sweet and I’d like something a little newer so momma isn’t turned off with an older rattle box, especially driving from Chicago to west coast. Trying to stay around 80k but the journey has just begun and we are the type that invest for the future and don’t sell toys, unless of course you’re goin bigger. Thanks for all the input

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
They all rattle some going down the road, brand new or 20 years old. If keeping the wife happy is part of the equation...pusher. Quieter and if you get an air bag chassis the ride is noticeably better.

$80k won't get you into a newer pusher but it will get you into a very nice pre-emmisions pusher that can be every bit as nice or nicer as a couple of year old gasser. Now 30', that's gonna be tough in a pusher. Take if from experience, you can never have enough room inside. Also, think ALOT about floor plan and how you'll use it. Bathroom, dedicated water closet, counter space, side by side fridge, bedroom slide....list goes on and on and you will still find out you didn't get what you really should have the first time around.

And to answer your question from above. I'm 71' going down the road.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Zepe is right. Motorhomes don't like rough roads. Even wash board roads can jiggle things loose. When I trade up, I want a 32 or 34 pusher. You have a bit more room without being crazy long. Bounder made some awesome 34's in the early 2000's.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check out the 1999 to 2002 Monaco dynasty 34’. A heck of a chassis and if it’s set up right will ride very well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was just looking at mine this morning trying to figure out what to get as far as a trailer (cargo or flat). I have a 2005 workhorse w22 with 8.1 liter and double slides my gvw is 22000lbs. gcw is 26000lbs. but loaded up it only weighs 20000lbs. so I figure if I upgrade my hitch from a 5000tow/500tongue to a bigger one I can tow 6000lbs. Is my thinking correct? If so you could do something similar?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Yes Conrad your correct but that doesn't fix not having an engine brake or air brakes to hold you back down hill fully loaded. That's the danger area. I put the flashers on if I have a 4 lane and drive 45 or less going down hill

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bigger A - gasser - been there - will be hating life. Had a Super C w/ 8.1 has - very good RV - no complaints.
But DP - its top shelf - built like a tank, lots of power, air gives a nice ride. 36’ is as short as you want to go with a big trailer due to front axle weight. Look at some older high end stuff - Country Coach - Monaco - etc. Build quality is amazing. Older ones can be had for a bargain price well under 80k - are well built and easy to work on (think big Cummins truck).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes Conrad your correct but that doesn't fix not having an engine brake or air brakes to hold you back down hill fully loaded. That's the danger area. I put the flashers on if I have a 4 lane and drive 45 or less going down hill
It has a Allison with a grade break and my current cargo trailer has 4 wheel trailer brakes and all together it stops much better then I ever expected. But that does not mean I dont drive cautious. You never know when you might loose one. A dp would be nice some day or even better a toterhome and stacker!! Yeah!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And to answer your question from above. I'm 71' going down the road.

Damn. Isn’t 60’ legal? Do you ever have issues getting in/out of LS dunes? Or any other Offroad park you ride?

·
Administrator
3,621 Posts
Damn. Isn’t 60’ legal? Do you ever have issues getting in/out of LS dunes? Or any other Offroad park you ride?

65' in most states, there are a handful where 75' is legal. I just ride LS and Glamis once a year (try as I might twice a year hasn't happened yet). No issues, I just have to be careful what spots I book. I don't have any trouble getting into Cowboy, Deuces or LSSP on top of the hill.

The biggest pain in the ass are fuel stops. I'm pretty well relegated truck stops. And those have high flow pumps which don't do well with my filler neck, other than that you get used to the legenth and the turns.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts