Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning,
New YXZ owner. Could use some feedback regarding the 3 pedal transmission. It seems very clunky and loud. Is there a trick to shift this more smoothly? It doesn’t shift like my Miata!
Thanks for any input.
Chris

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
1,075 Posts
Don't baby it. It's a sequential transmission with straight-cut gears, it's going to be noisy. There are some different oils that can quiet it down and smooth it out a bit. In the end, you just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was so pissed at the bucket of bolts I bought when I first started shifting my new 3 pedal (2021). Called the dealer immediately and he said that’s the way it is.
Figured that it should shift like a Miata and that I should take more time and make smoother shifts. Got worse. The harder I tried to make a smooth shift the more frustrated I got.
Finally listened to the crowd here and stopped babying it. Drive it like I stole it, shift at 5k minimum (7k is better) and just quicker shifts.
Happy times now…. All is good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was so pissed at the bucket of bolts I bought when I first started shifting my new 3 pedal (2021). Called the dealer immediately and he said that’s the way it is.
Figured that it should shift like a Miata and that I should take more time and make smoother shifts. Got worse. The harder I tried to make a smooth shift the more frustrated I got.
Finally listened to the crowd here and stopped babying it. Drive it like I stole it, shift at 5k minimum (7k is better) and just quicker shifts.
Exactly. It shifts way better when you run it hard.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Once you get the hang of it you’ll look back and think it shifts BETTER then your miata. I get it that the sounds you hear are different… but once you stop listening to the different sounds and just feeeel what the car is doing… you quickly realize all is well.
Miles of smiles from then on.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You have to drive it harder and rev to at least 5500-6000 rpms when shifting. Then it just takes learning the sweet spot in rpm range and the best your going to get with straight cut gears, never going to be like a cars transmission but i have 8900 miles and fluid comes out clean ever time. Still banging thru gears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good Morning, New YXZ owner. Could use some feedback regarding the 3 pedal transmission. It seems very clunky and loud. Is there a trick to shift this more smoothly? It doesn’t shift like my Miata! Thanks for any input. Chris
Treat it like a motorcycle. Only need the clutch when you are taking off and sometimes down shifting. Quickly let off the gas long enough to shift up with no clutch. Very easy and fun once you get it down. Braaap the throttle with the clutch engaged quickly when downshifting to bring the rpm’s up to. The clanks you hear are because you are using the clutch too much and driving it like a grandpa. Remember these transmission can handle anything you throw at them from a stock engine. It’s loud because they are strait cut gears like a race car.

·
Registered
2019 YXZ SS SE
1,075 Posts
I wouldn't shift without the clutch if you are not sure of what you are doing. It can be very hard on the dogs and ware them prematurely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Yuma,

Yep..... I wasn't familiar at all with the 1000R when I first took delivery however, I remembered back in my glory day howI learned to drive a mini sprint.... Stab it and shift as fast as possible... As you've said.... Adds to the fun factor. I'm just worried I'm going to blow past the window at the Starbucks Drive-In if I don't quit having so much fun! Got to love the rush from participating and living life like it's supposed to be lived! Sequential gears are great above 7 Grand :) enjoy your R and don't be disappointed in your Miata when you get back in... There aren't many toys that are meant to be wrung out to the max and provide as much fun as the yxz! I'd hate to have somebody put on my gravestone he could have driven a yxz :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi Yuma,

Yep..... I wasn't familiar at all with the 1000R when I first took delivery however, I remembered back in my glory day howI learned to drive a mini sprint.... Stab it and shift as fast as possible... As you've said.... Adds to the fun factor. I'm just worried I'm going to blow past the window at the Starbucks Drive-In if I don't quit having so much fun! Got to love the rush from participating and living life like it's supposed to be lived! Sequential gears are great above 7 Grand :) enjoy your R and don't be disappointed in your Miata when you get back in... There aren't many toys that are meant to be wrung out to the max and provide as much fun as the yxz! I'd hate to have somebody put on my gravestone he could have driven a yxz :)
Couldn’t have said it better! Enjoy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts