·
Registered
202 Posts
Tighten them down until they strip, then back them off a quarter of a turn.*

*Just kidding! :eek:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I always go to this web site to get some idea what torque to use, if the repair manual is not available.
I assume the bolts on clutch cover are 6 mm....
milos

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
McKay we based that value off of an R1 clutch cover which has the same size bolts. It is 12Nm or 8.7ft/lbs. I cant image it being much different than that...

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Registered
582 Posts
McKay we based that value off of an R1 clutch cover which has the same size bolts. It is 12Nm or 8.7ft/lbs. I cant image it being much different than that...

Nate
Alba Racing
Not arguing, I believe all that's needed is gasket compression plus a smidge. Those castings are very weak and bolt holes so small IMO to use much torque.

We should really be talking inlbs or nm instead of ftlbs here too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do not torque clutch cover bolts to 8.5 ft lbs. I thought this was a little tight as I was tightening them, but every one was able to cinch down to 8.5 .. except for the last one when my heart dropped after I heard a snap. I'm so lucky the bolt snapped and the housing didn't strip.

*edit*
Reflecting on this, I may have had a bolt with a defect.. though I really do believe that 8.5 ft lbs is too much for the application. I'll have an FSM by the end of next week and I'll update this thread with Yamaha's spec.

Screw Floor

*Edit 2*
I rechecked my clicker against a friends accuracy tester and it's almost dead on ( I was reading a little below 102 In lbs - 8.5 foot lbs )
Knowing that, I pulled 3 bolts back out that were already seated and every one of them had stretched threads on the side that is closest to the head ( not in the transmission housing yet ).. I'd say It would be a good idea for anyone in the same boat as me to replace all the bolts, as they've been weakened...Good thing to know though - the bolts are weaker than the housing!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Do not torque clutch cover bolts to 8.5 ft lbs. I thought this was a little tight as I was tightening them, but every one was able to cinch down to 8.5 .. except for the last one when my heart dropped after I heard a snap. I'm so lucky the bolt snapped and the housing didn't strip.

*edit*
Reflecting on this, I may have had a bolt with a defect.. though I really do believe that 8.5 ft lbs is too much for the application. I'll have an FSM by the end of next week and I'll update this thread with Yamaha's spec.

View attachment 5234
Wow man…did you have trouble getting the bolt out?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nope, luck was on my side yesterday! The threads in the housing as well as the screw threads hadn't warped and it backed right out.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's amazing and it never happens to me. Ha, ha glad it worked out. And I can imagine your heart dropping on your new, $20K+ machine.

"SCHWEW!" he says wiping his brow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My new bolts came in today, I backed out the old ones and this is an old bolt vs a new bolt. You can see they stretched pretty good.
Zipper Finger Screw Fashion accessory Metal

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have a ton of experience with this and I never ever use a torque wrench for this type of application. I have done this so many times, not on this machine, that I can feel when it's tight enough. I've never had an issue with it. I really only use a torque wrench for head bolts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a ton of experience with this and I never ever use a torque wrench for this type of application. I have done this so many times, not on this machine, that I can feel when it's tight enough. I've never had an issue with it. I really only use a torque wrench for head bolts.
I'm ocd as hell, and while better judgement told me that this was too much, it was hard also to turn away from the advice of a respected mechanic of the sxs community who had done several of these machines already. But just like everyone else, sometimes he ***** up too, and I'm just here sharing my experience so others who aren't of your talent can save themselves some trouble.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm ocd as hell, and while better judgement told me that this was too much, it was hard also to turn away from the advice of a respected mechanic of the sxs community who had done several of these machines already. But just like everyone else, sometimes he ***** up too, and I'm just here sharing my experience so others who aren't of your talent can save themselves some trouble.
I wouldn't really call it a talent it just experience from doing it over and over again. I used to work as a mechanic working on dirt bikes and four wheelers so that's all I did day in and day out. I tried to use the torque wrench and almost always I kept saying to myself "man that seems awfully tight". Especially in engine covers.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Same here BLjohns. So many clutch covers over the years on dirt bikes and ATVs you get the magic touch for these little bolts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts