Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about jfulps issues last week, I thought it might be a random occurrence, but my buddy lost his clutch at China Wall over the weekend. Needless to say, it was a bitch trying to get him over those 3 nasty ridges but a good Samaritan in a sand rail made it happen. Was able to tow him back to camp in my rzr once past those dunes. Performed awesome until it didn't. He's going to dealer today so I'll update this thread as I hear more.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If these clutch failures continue I'm sure Yamaha will act accordingly and replace the parts causing the failure. It sounds as if they have already started by agreeing to replace Jfulps on their dollar and his was the first case I had heard about. Now you're the second or third new case I've heard of over the weekend with one being the tard who thought he bought a boat also!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Yeah this is a concern. It would be interesting to know how many units have actually been sold and how many failure there have been. Kind has been concerned especially since I have a guy coming to look at buying my Mav.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully it's just a few bad apples, but time will tell. Especially after a Holiday weekend in Glamis

·
Registered
329 Posts
D dog, I wouldn't worry about it. Yamaha does its homework and wouldn't release it saying you can turbo it with warranty if the clutch is not adequate. If there turns out to be a problem yamaha will fix it. Yamaha didn't just throw it together, this machine had been in development for 3 years. I have been through muddy ditches, hill climbs, etc. And mine has been great. Yamaha has been building wet clutches for a VERY long time has been known to work with aftermarket companies so they understand that people WANT to modify.
You won't hear me complain bc I am a DIE hard manual guy and I could not be happier.
Anybody complaining about the gearing etc. Just wait. Yamaha should be releasing a trail model. This is the race model.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
D dog, I wouldn't worry about it. Yamaha does its homework and wouldn't release it saying you can turbo it with warranty if the clutch is not adequate. If there turns out to be a problem yamaha will fix it. Yamaha didn't just throw it together, this machine had been in development for 3 years. I have been through muddy ditches, hill climbs, etc. And mine has been great. Yamaha has been building wet clutches for a VERY long time has been known to work with aftermarket companies so they understand that people WANT to modify.
You won't hear me complain bc I am a DIE hard manual guy and I could not be happier.
Anybody complaining about the gearing etc. Just wait. Yamaha should be releasing a trail model. This is the race model.
I agree with you. Just keeping my eye on it. IF it does become a major problem, I am sure Yamaha or an aftermarket guy will have a solution

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did we ever hear what alba did to fix the first clutch
I hear that these clutches have judder springs in them. Usually done to make the clutch smoother, however doesn't grab or bite as hard. You can remove the judder spring and plate and just add a steel plate that gives it more firm grip on the clutch plates. Albanate is the man you want to talk to!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Its the same type of mod that I did on my YFZ450. Remove the judder spring and replace it with a fiber and plate.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Albanate has the goods if you need it-- He replaced mine and took out the judder springs and put a bigger clutch plate on 1st and 5th-- those were the two that were shot in mine--

·
Registered
35 Posts
Albanate has the goods if you need it-- He replaced mine and took out the judder springs and put a bigger clutch plate on 1st and 5th-- those were the two that were shot in mine--
jfulps...... how did your car run this weekend in Glamis after the clutch rebuild???

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Did you drive after the fix? If so Did it feel different?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yamaha does its homework and wouldn't release it saying you can turbo it with warranty if the clutch is not adequate.

Is this in writing somewhere ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would be curious to know manufacture dates on all the units that are known to have clutch failures. IE did a shipment of clutch bits have a failure rate higher than acceptable? And all got built in the same week/day?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.