Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has been running fine........ it sat for approximately 2 weeks, now I am throwing a “12” code on the speedo.Will crank but not start.......,,
my book says to check the crankshaft position sensor! ..........Anyone know where that is?
Thanks
scott

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Its on the inside of the back cover on the motor. Right where the cables come out of the top of that cover, the crank sensor is just on the other side of it. I have not had to do this job, but it looks like it is part of the stator assembly and not sold separately, at least in the '16 models. See the Generator section in the parts illustration and it is the little block right next to the number 4. Good luck and let us know how it comes out!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Auto part Disc brake Clutch Engine Automotive starter motor

Reactions: Nasty and Doomsday

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have cleaned and checked the plug for the crankshaft position sensor, cleaned and checked the ECU plugs.
still won’t start..... disconnect battery overnight?? Maybe reset ECU??
anybody ever had this issue before?
Thanks
scott

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I have heard of others on here that have had the sensor go bad.. Sounds like the next logical thing as you have checked everything else. Never hurts to disconnect the battery and let it sit for a while.... power on reset!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Glad you got it back on the trail! Now that you have been up close and personal with the stator assembly, do you see any real reason that you couldn't just replace the crankshaft sensor without having to do the stator? I have only seen pictures, but looks like it could be done if Yamaha sold only that component.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As far as checking a sensor like that, if it is just a regular magnetic pickup coil I have had luck in the past using an analog voltmeter set to a low scale while cranking the engine. You should see the needle wiggle back and forth if it is good. Also maybe a continuity test would find it. It would be different for a Hall effect pickup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed new stator and crankshaft position sensor..........fixed problem!
Thanks for the help!!!
Scott
Installed new stator and crankshaft position sensor..........fixed problem!
Thanks for the help!!!
Scott
Hello, I have the same engine code 12 problem . Did your motor make any noise from the stator? currently have a loud screeching noise from what seems to be crank case cover.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just a little update to this thread. I recently had to replace the crank position sensor on my machine at 12500 miles. I just had to replace the same on my guest machine at 11500 miles. Fortunately, they both died while in the driveway getting ready to be loaded up. So I am adding a resistance check of the crank sensor to my maintenance list. I figure I will check it every other oil change and that should be sufficient. Will follow up as I start to understand any degradation trends, but seems that they are only good for about 10k miles based on my experience so far. Anyone else have a data point to share?

Reactions: Gibbster

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
dosnt look like to many have the problem (or not that many miles yet ) i think that stater is spendy
I have been buying low mileage used ones in the $125-135 range. They measure in spec at installation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts