Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
I really do not like how the cooler lays rt on top of the engine n hoses, Too close for comfort for me to many hoses rubbing it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So if you let the rzr or mav or even wildcat have an aftermarket turbo you think the yxz will still beat them when the Yxz isnt hanging with the NA maverick/RZR as is?

The intercooler placement is poor. I hope thats not where they're running it. where will it have air flow through ?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Rzr 1k barely holds up to stock hp, how's it going to last in race conditions with a turbo? Of course it remains to be seen if the yamaha will handle extra hp any better, time will tell

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Anyone know why the turbo kit's only come with a single muffler? Is it due to cost only?
I prefer the dual muffler set up to deepen the tone of the exhaust.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The exhaust sticking out the side looks like absolute turd.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
The exhaust sticking out the side looks like absolute turd.
That's the biggest fly in the ointment for me as well. There's gotta be a better solution for this. That thing is Fugly. Looks like S#it for sure.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Anyone know why the turbo kit's only come with a single muffler? Is it due to cost only?
I prefer the dual muffler set up to deepen the tone of the exhaust.
I suspect because there is a bigass catalytic converter in there. Don't need two and they're not cheap. Just my thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What you see is pre production fab. I have talked with MPI and they are working on changing exhuaust. I don't think dual exhaust will change sound too much with turbo. Turbo's naturally quiet things down. I thought the same about air charge cooler. In their tests they video machine from rear. There is a natural down draft and with fan blowing across air charge cooler, they got good results in lowering air temp. I don't think there will be any problem with the engine handling the turbo's power. I think 300 HP is a cake walk for this engine. Have several Yamaha Apex snowmobile's range in horse power from 300 to 550. My trail sled has 4000 miles on it and makes 400 HP. No engine failures on any of them. Engines are really tough. I think getting rid of heat will be biggest challenge. MPI's test is a run up a switch back road. Start out at 4000 elevation and climb to 10,000. Running 155 HP with 6 lbs boost. Halfway up engine temps were at 238. (running hard). They are working on that problem now. Possible new or different radiator or placement.

·
Registered
404 Posts
What you see is pre production fab. I have talked with MPI and they are working on changing exhuaust. I don't think dual exhaust will change sound too much with turbo. Turbo's naturally quiet things down. I thought the same about air charge cooler. In their tests they video machine from rear. There is a natural down draft and with fan blowing across air charge cooler, they got good results in lowering air temp. I don't think there will be any problem with the engine handling the turbo's power. I think 300 HP is a cake walk for this engine. Have several Yamaha Apex snowmobile's range in horse power from 300 to 550. My trail sled has 4000 miles on it and makes 400 HP. No engine failures on any of them. Engines are really tough. I think getting rid of heat will be biggest challenge. MPI's test is a run up a switch back road. Start out at 4000 elevation and climb to 10,000. Running 155 HP with 6 lbs boost. Halfway up engine temps were at 238. (running hard). They are working on that problem now. Possible new or different radiator or placement.
Who are you talking to over there; Josh? I don't know if the redesigns are for the next version or what but they have 100 units damn near ready to ship. At least that's what my conversation covered. A change in the can angle and more R&D on radiator does not sound like units going out next week.

·
Registered
64 Posts
anyway you slice it if this kit is over 2k dont bother, you want to make it efficient? that turbo needs to be right up next to the exhaust flange not 42" away! If you're going to tool up do it right....and its a totally different game with longevity and power numbers once you come down off the mountain elevations....these motors really need lower compression pistons to do it right....my two cents....

·
Registered
589 Posts
anyway you slice it if this kit is over 2k dont bother, you want to make it efficient? that turbo needs to be right up next to the exhaust flange not 42" away! If you're going to tool up do it right....and its a totally different game with longevity and power numbers once you come down off the mountain elevations....these motors really need lower compression pistons to do it right....my two cents....
Guess you have never seen some LS turbo cars with the turbo remote mounted in the rear. I can tell you they are no slouches. Is it ideal? Probably not but it really doesn't make much difference at all with power delivery. Saw the Weller prototype with the turbo hanging right off at the collector with a short manifold.

Low boost and high compression isnt ideal either but it does provide very quick spool up times and turbo lag isn't pronounced. For big power, you will need some low compression pistons or head shimming.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Who are you talking to over there; Josh? I don't know if the redesigns are for the next version or what but they have 100 units damn near ready to ship. At least that's what my conversation covered. A change in the can angle and more R&D on radiator does not sound like units going out next week.
Yes I talked with Josh. Not sure how much different muffler will be but he said what you saw is pre production. I think I will wait for higher boost and lower compression. If im going to spend money on a turbo, I want to make it worth while. I have a Pace Wildcat and at 300 they rip. Not that they don't at lower settings. I agree with keeping turbo mounted close to head. What I will say is on the Apex there is no lag. Not sure what kind of issues there may be with shifting vs CVT when it comes to spooling. I have had small turbos on my Apex. 2554 and my largest is a 3076 on a different sled. No lag on either but you hit your RPM's quickly and hold it there. I have 1 engine with head shim and 2 with pistons to lower compression. Have had good success with both. Best performance I see is larger turbo and running at lower boost, lets you get away with pump gas. In the middle of changing turbo onn Wildcat, going to Evolution Turbo, Hope to see 300 HP on pump gas or close to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kit will be close to 5000.00. I totally agree with lower compression. No comparison between the power, and you wont have to worry about detination as much. Maybe some guys on here have a yamaha Nytro with rear mounted turbo that can respond how they run, with turbo mounted down stream and spooling up fast.

·
Registered
64 Posts
optimal performance runs that turbo right out of the exhaust port, yes I have seen them miles away and work but its not ideal, if I was building a kit a new manifold would be the first hoop to jump through....anybody with a tig welder and a computer can build a turbo kit for cheap with one call to turbonetics to profile the proper turbo and sizing....if that kit is 5k looks like I should make a few calls to my turbo buddies....sleds don't weigh in what this 1500# sxs does, and sleds dont have all the issues to tackle as this sxs has to tackle so lag is going to be a major major issue to get right with proper sizing is all Im saying folks...and a rear mounted turbo on a car is the dumbest idea I have seen-does it work yes, but it sure is mickey mouse!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The rear mounted turbos I have seen are on automatic drag cars. It works bc with auto there is only lag when you first spool then it stays spooled the entire time. For roadracing/motocross lag is the biggest enemy. Also the bigger the turbo, the more air at the same psi. A t4 turbo will make lots more power at 5 psi than a t3 at 5 psi.
Ideally for me, I would try to get it to spool as early as possible with a large waste gate to keep the efficiency at high rpms. Any pressure over atmospheric makes a big difference. Also, my goal would not be highest hp numbers but to get a big gain in midrange torque.
The turbo is the easy part, fuel management is where the focus should be. That is where the reliability comes in, fuel mileage also. For me a wide band o2 is mandatory. An AIT would be nice to be able to monitor for heat soak.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've seen the rear-mount and mid-mount turbos run fine. There is some very slight lag but yes there is some lag. If you want zero lag, run a supercharger... IMHO I don't think you will see much if any advantage with 12"-15" difference in placement of the turbo. Just sayin'. It's not like the old days when they were eight feet away from the motor (car/truck). As far as lag on a sled, if there is much, it can be very detrimental to riding. Not really going to matter on the straight up runs but those are the rarity where we ride. No matter what I bet any of them will plaster a smile on yer face so long as the rest of the machine holds up!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts