Yamaha YXZ Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen a piston yet? I'm wondering if they have provisions for oil squirters / cooling that might be worth keeping.

What are our options for adding head gaskets or base gaskets?

The snowmobile comparisons certainly prove that the engine design is more than capable but that infinite supply of Cold Air and Ice are far from reality for most of us so I'm thinking lower compression will be in order for ~300hp on gasoline on a 100+ degree day.

Seems very odd that we have not seen a turbo dyno yet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Most Yamaha snowmobiles that run past 8-9psi run low comp pistons or a head shim. I know on the apex and nytro engine when we turbo them and ran 15psi on the apex with 100 octane and full standalone 17psi on pump gas on the nytro never had an issue.

I know yamaha always ran a 2 piece gasket that was riveted together and you would just split the gasket and sandwich the head shim between and were good to go. The stock forged pistons could always handle the power. I usually only saw people doing rods if they were going over 15-17psi (a good amount would run 20-25psi through them). Or people would do rods if they were stroking it.

With a good air/water intercooler I don't think you will ever see an issue running 250-270hp. And typically a nytro motor would be 270hp on 17psi. So to go above and beyond that I couldn't tell you on charge temps in hotter weather. But in all honesty this motor on 10-12psi will be a solid 220-230hp more than enough for most.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts