Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered a set of Tribal X whips. They are well built and have a fantastic Bluetooth controller. I opted for the 10' wire extension kit and was told it was plug and play.....NOT. for $17.50 you get 30 feet of wire (3-10 foot wires) and cheesy wire splicing connectors. I do not like to have crappy wire connections so I turt to the internet. I found extensions on Amazon that are truly plug and play 3 prong wire extensions for $12.99. I would rather plug 2 of the 3 prong extensions together than use cheesy wire splicing couplings.

tribal whip.PNG

A1xclxh0+NL._SL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm curious as to how your running the wires as to need an extra 10 feet? Are you running it to a relay and/or switch on or near the dash?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Switch is on the dash, I have an XTC powersports relay power control system for my switches. The Wye splitter between the two whip locations is not long enough to reach the whips so they recommended an extension in order for it to reach which they sell in only 1 size-10 feet long. Plug and play they is what they said but I received raw wires with cheesy wire clamps that are not even a butt splice connector. I poseted this so that someone else didn't have to order bare wires. I prefer a true plug and play and do not like cheesy wire splicing as they will eventually fail.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think WAYXZ's point, the 10' harness is nothing more than off the shelf trailer wiring. Nothing special about it. Obviously, any 3 pin connector and wire will be fine. Just it'll be a "shade tree" project with wiring kit from Tribal Whips.

FYI, I had so much bad luck trying to order quality wiring from Amazon and eBay. You can purchase a 120V extension cord at Walmart, Harbor Freight, etc, and cut to length. You got 3 wires there, just purchase the light to medium duty cord, it'll be much thinner. I think $10 for 25' cord. Add your own 3 pin connector. If you want to spend a bit more for custom harness and quality work, checkout DZ Motorsports.

·
Registered
15 Posts
WAYXZ,
Makes sense. I've got a Tribal Aurora Whip that I hard wired to the battery. But, I'll be adding an intercom/radio system and some lights pretty soon. That XTC 4 switch unit looks good. A little spendy, but I like that's it's literally plug-n-play.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plug and play with relays and a fuse block. I like the extension cord idea and I've also ordered from dz motorsports. On another note. Owning a YXZ gets costly:confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts