Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hear to pick the brains as to how suitable a YXZ XT-R can be for the type of South Florida riding we can typically do. My XP Turbo served me well (no complaints honestly), but I'm itching for something new and ideally something more engaging (read: paddle shifters). Florida is odd in that during the dry season it's very dry and you can rip trails at speed... but when it's wet... it's very wet... like you're basically driving through small lakes wet. Most guys here run big lifted RZR's/Generals/Commanders etc. You also see a lot of Talons. I've never seen a YXZ on a trail here.

I am trying to thread the gap between the fact that I like going fast.. but my lady likes slow crawling through mud/water... The fact there are no YXZ's around both makes me want one more, but also makes me think these people might know something I don't. Hence joining this forum so I can ask people smarter than me, if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

My current idea is new YXZ or new talon - and if i miss the power long-term I'll add a turbo.

Oh and before anyone says get 2 machines... we already have the RZR, a boat, and a sports car, I have no desire to keep/store/maintain another toy.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The yxz in mud is horrible as it has NO fenders . You will literally fill the cab with mud in no time at all . If you get one be aware that you will have to do something to survive the mud . Most of the add on fenders are like a band aid on a bullet hole .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The yxz in mud is horrible as it has NO fenders . You will literally fill the cab with mud in no time at all . If you get one be aware that you will have to do something to survive the mud . Most of the add on fenders are like a band aid on a bullet hole .
Thank you! That's why I am here. I didn't even think of that. My RZR is 8" or so wider than stock and cabin mud is already pretty terrible... not sure I'd want something worse in that regard.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I look at the way the KRX is built and admire the fenders for that reason . Even better with the added flares . I have a speed ordered and it looks like it will be better in the mud although I haven’t seen one in person.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm hear to pick the brains as to how suitable a YXZ XT-R can be for the type of South Florida riding we can typically do. My XP Turbo served me well (no complaints honestly), but I'm itching for something new and ideally something more engaging (read: paddle shifters). Florida is odd in that during the dry season it's very dry and you can rip trails at speed... but when it's wet... it's very wet... like you're basically driving through small lakes wet. Most guys here run big lifted RZR's/Generals/Commanders etc. You also see a lot of Talons. I've never seen a YXZ on a trail here.

I am trying to thread the gap between the fact that I like going fast.. but my lady likes slow crawling through mud/water... The fact there are no YXZ's around both makes me want one more, but also makes me think these people might know something I don't. Hence joining this forum so I can ask people smarter than me, if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

My current idea is new YXZ or new talon - and if i miss the power long-term I'll add a turbo.

Oh and before anyone says get 2 machines... we already have the RZR, a boat, and a sports car, I have no desire to keep/store/maintain another toy.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!
check out the speed utv by robby gordon its a bad ass mini truck😎

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
check out the speed utv by robby gordon its a bad ass mini truck😎
I've been following the SpeedUTV since the initial announcement but I don't think I could bring myself to use that thing to slog around in the FL swaps. At that point I'd just figure out a way to keep the RZR for wet season and get a YXZ for dry.

·
Registered
161 Posts
911 fab makes fender flares that are supposed to be great at keeping mud out of the cab. throw a turbo on it and itll have more hp than mostly any other sxs out there (GYTR turbo is rated at 180hp+/60% more hp than stock). throw some portals on it and 35s and have a blast.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I own a SS Yxz and a Xp. I don't know about the mud, we ride logging roads, but I never take the Xp out anymore, the Yxz with the paddle shifters is so much more fun to ride. The quality of the Yami is in a different league from the Poo. I've been trying to talk my brother into buying the Poo so it's not sitting in my shop...

The drone of the Xp motor puts me to sleep, the sound of the Yxz going through the gears is sweet, and not having a belt is priceless!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the replies - you've already helped in a big way. I think going against the usualy "west coast style" YXZ builds (not to mention all the Polaris/Honda/Can-am's here) and doing a turbo YXZ mud machine would be a lot of fun... of course there is ZERO inventory here so I guess I'll be ordering one + the turbo and we'll go from there. Probably start with some 33" mud tires and decide on the portals down the road.

The downside is there aren't alot of builds to reference for this... so if any of you know of one I can use for educational purposes, feel free to point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thank you all for the replies - you've already helped in a big way. I think going against the usualy "west coast style" YXZ builds (not to mention all the Polaris/Honda/Can-am's here) and doing a turbo YXZ mud machine would be a lot of fun... of course there is ZERO inventory here so I guess I'll be ordering one + the turbo and we'll go from there. Probably start with some 33" mud tires and decide on the portals down the road.

The downside is there aren't alot of builds to reference for this... so if any of you know of one I can use for educational purposes, feel free to point me in the right direction.
One of he guys on Blown budget had a YXZ with portals and I think they had a lot of steering issues. I think the crawl box with bigger tires might be a better option. With that said, I would get one and drive the crap out of it. I have found that I give a little in the ground clearance for the fun of the drive.

·
Registered
31 Posts

just make sure you get a packard performance turbo :cool:

·
Registered
67 Posts
33s are probably going to rub a lot. My 30s do when fully compressed. Might wanna do the 70/30 reduction with a 33 as well. From what I read the crawl box is for that. Crawling, again I don't have a crawl box so I can say for sure.
I run a 16 with 70/30 reduction on 30s. I can crawl 1 mph and go 72mph. Plenty fast for me. I can go anywhere my RZR guys can. Also I don't have to listen to the terrible noise the Polaris makes.
A triple bouncing of the limiter is music to my ears.
Just added a recluse auto clutch and now I have the best of both worlds I think. Only about 100 miles with the rekluse, but so far it's what the car has been missing.
I do 3 trips to the sand a year and mainly ride northern CA trails and the desert in southern CA.

·
Registered
599 Posts
If you go YXZ in the mud than you need a 2019+ for the gears and the rear mounted radiator. Put the 911 mud flaps on and try it. You may need to upgrade the clutch and go larger tires. Also possibly the crawl box or lower gears depending on how much mud and how big you go on tires. Anything bigger the 31" tires and you will rub. You also need to pay attention to offset on the wheels with the larger tires to minimize rubbing in the front .

·
Premium Member
2016 YXZ SE, 70/30/11, Recluse, Heavy Hitter, 31" ITP Ultracross
19 Posts
I run a 2016 on the FL landscape... AND its fantastic... yes, I had to do a couple things, but well worth it to not have a belt or be a RZR clone.
Putting a foldable windshield on and good fender extensions took care of the mud.. The mud in the radiator (2016 front radiator) was resolved by a 70$ plastic protection kit from a guy on ebay, and the addition of a Weller oiling mod, and 70/30/15 gears and 31" tires has made this thing a dream... Fl mud and Tn rocks, no matter trail riding at 5 mph or dirt road at 75 mph....

Im in the W Central part of Fl, but if you have question on a real world FL rider, PM me and I'll give you my #....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Welcome and there is plenty of information here for YXZ. I did not know about the Radiator Protection Kit and it is there for sale still. Good Tip!

·
Premium Member
2016 YXZ SE, 70/30/11, Recluse, Heavy Hitter, 31" ITP Ultracross
19 Posts
Welcome and there is plenty of information here for YXZ. I did not know about the Radiator Protection Kit and it is there for sale still. Good Tip!
The Ebay seller is "Matinatl" and I just checked and he still has them, search "Yamaha Yxz1000 Radiator guard, mud, sand guard" and i'll come up. I bought the $64.00 kit, install is pretty straight fwd though the instruction are a little sketchy.. I think he's just a dude that had a problem and kinda firgured out a cheap fix THAT WORK's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I rip around on wet muddy trails and stay warm and dry with wide fenders, heated seats and mesh windows. Got a windshield wiper and washer too. My Buddy in his Canam X3 can outrun me but he gets completely soaked. I made all this stuff though so cant point you in a direction where to add to cart, except for the washer bottle I found on
Amazon that fits in nicely right under that hole in the hood. Paddle shift! Most bang for the buck in my opinion!
Go for it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts