Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody done there own paint job on their ride? I have the 2016 yellow SE and while I don't hate the design, I would prefer all black. Send pics if possible and the best way to do it!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Depending on what your plan for painting is (prep, prime, color, clear coat). Using a wrap could be be about the same cost and be a bit more durable depending on the conditions you ride in. Also, easier to apply than trying to spray body panels and have them come out looking halfway decent. Just do a google search for "Yamaha YXZ wraps" and you'll find quite a few in just about any scheme or color you like.

Otherwise Color Rite does a pretty good job of color matching Yamaha existing paint colors, but if your looking for a quart it'll run you around $200.00. They say no clear coat required but my experience with them is that you will need a clear coat, they are just a little to flat for my tastes. With Color Rite you'll be able to match it to OEM body panels in the future or ones that you already have.

If you do plan on painting, you may want to take a little time and check out a DIY paint booth, a decent HVLP air gun, respirator, and exhaust fans. Its a bit more involved than shaking a rattle can and spraying away. But if you've ever sprayed a large surface like a door panel you'll find it impossible to keep a wet edge with a rattle can or get an even coat. An HVLP gun will give a much better result without waves or lines like a rattle can.

just my .02 worth.

Nate

1 - 2 of 2 Posts