Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many of you know the YXZ is lacking any rear CV boot protection. We've gone through several boots even with having good quality mud flaps installed.
My friend at a nearby Yamaha dealership tells me Yamaha believes the rear CV's are getting damaged from debris being thrown from the opposite front tire. You turn right, the right front tire tosses debris to the left rear CV.
As I heard CORR1 rumbling about his 3rd CV boot replacement I decided I didn't want to go through that now that I'm out of warranty and will be faced with the chore on my own.

I worked a couple designs and came up with this one. It was proven a worthy design last weekend when we raced the AZOP series in Flagstaff, AZ http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/12-yxz-trackside/19626-azop-cinder-mtn-harescramble-recap-w-video.html

One challenge with a CV boot protector is the way the rear end articulates. I had to test each design by removing the rear shock and testing the travel clearance and protection. This design works.
Don't think billet, fabricated, costly. Think Amazon and Ace and under $20 in parts vs. a $30 CV boot, new nut and a PITA process per side.

PARTS NEEDED:
A sheet of HPDE 1/8" black. Lots of sizes to choose from though all you really need is a 12"x12" piece. This is the product I used to make the front fender extenders. Rigid enough yet flexes and won't break.
2- 3" inside corner braces (L-brackets) from Ace. A 4pk was $4.25.
4- 2.75" or so hose clamps.
4- 1/4x20x3/4" long bolts. (why pay metric prices)
4- 1/4x20 nylon locking nuts.

There's really no trick to installing them as long as you have the car on the ground and mount them up with about an 1" clearance from the brake lines. They won't catch on the line or other components as they're just tall enough to not get thrust into them. The protector also reaches over to protect the lower portion of the shock shaft.

Here's a link to find same pictures and a template I scratched out. If you find your time is more valuable than your $$ PM me and I'll make them up and ship them to you.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6ReOGEiIkS6S09QUm5SQTc5cG8&usp=sharing

CV-1.JPG CV-2.JPG CV-3.JPG CV-4.JPG

Reactions: Bljohns

·
Registered
302 Posts
Always looking out for your fellow riders....THANKS !

Reactions: CORR2

·
Registered
913 Posts
As many of you know the YXZ is lacking any rear CV boot protection. We've gone through several boots even with having good quality mud flaps installed.
My friend at a nearby Yamaha dealership tells me Yamaha believes the rear CV's are getting damaged from debris being thrown from the opposite front tire. You turn right, the right front tire tosses debris to the left rear CV.
As I heard CORR1 rumbling about his 3rd CV boot replacement I decided I didn't want to go through that now that I'm out of warranty and will be faced with the chore on my own.

I worked a couple designs and came up with this one. It was proven a worthy design last weekend when we raced the AZOP series in Flagstaff, AZ http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/12-yxz-trackside/19626-azop-cinder-mtn-harescramble-recap-w-video.html

One challenge with a CV boot protector is the way the rear end articulates. I had to test each design by removing the rear shock and testing the travel clearance and protection. This design works.
Don't think billet, fabricated, costly. Think Amazon and Ace and under $20 in parts vs. a $30 CV boot, new nut and a PITA process per side.

PARTS NEEDED:
A sheet of HPDE 1/8" black. Lots of sizes to choose from though all you really need is a 12"x12" piece. This is the product I used to make the front fender extenders. Rigid enough yet flexes and won't break.
2- 3" inside corner braces (L-brackets) from Ace. A 4pk was $4.25.
4- 2.75" or so hose clamps.
4- 1/4x20x3/4" long bolts. (why pay metric prices)
4- 1/4x20 nylon locking nuts.

There's really no trick to installing them as long as you have the car on the ground and mount them up with about an 1" clearance from the brake lines. They won't catch on the line or other components as they're just tall enough to not get thrust into them. The protector also reaches over to protect the lower portion of the shock shaft.

Here's a link to find same pictures and a template I scratched out. If you find your time is more valuable than your $$ PM me and I'll make them up and ship them to you.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6ReOGEiIkS6S09QUm5SQTc5cG8&usp=sharing

[iurl="http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39210&d=1470423112"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39218&d=1470423114"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39226&d=1470423117"]
[/iurl][iurl="http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39234&d=1470423120"]
[/iurl]
Oh your just tempting me to fabricate something bitchin up now! I am going to have to get to work on that now, i have lots of materials to work out something.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Of course i don't get much back there now with factory utv a-arm skid plates and mud flaps. Although no such thing as too much protection, so i will take my time and brainstorm a shield myself

·
Registered
322 Posts
Great solution, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
256 Posts
I used mounting brackets that were doubled (extra) from my rear arm skid plate, and used the brake line routing bolt. They have not moved and are doing a great job
IMG_2172.JPG IMG_2173.JPG IMG_2174.JPG

I am also looking at this guy too
IMG_2175.JPG

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great ideas! Gives us more options.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Another interesting take is from All German Motorsports. They have a product also called a "CV Saver."

It doesn't protect the boot (and doesn't need to). It makes the boot (almost) superfluous.

The kit is a rubber diaphragm that keeps the grease up in the friction area and out of the boot area. They have a video on YouTube that shows them speeding along with no boot. The grease stays put and makes everything run cooler.

As one poster mentioned, the FUTV A-Arm protectors that I got from Weller Racing provide all sorts of protection. However, it is always possible (I suppose) to get a jagged rock landing on the platter of the protector and bounce around and eventually contacting the boot. So I will use the thick FUTV plastic to mount some sort of mud flap material that further protects all exposed boots. The outer front boots already have a plastic protuberance that should protect it pretty well. And with the movement of the steering mechanism leaves little room for additional armor.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Another interesting take is from All German Motorsports. They have a product also called a "CV Saver."

It doesn't protect the boot (and doesn't need to). It makes the boot (almost) superfluous.

The kit is a rubber diaphragm that keeps the grease up in the friction area and out of the boot area. They have a video on YouTube that shows them speeding along with no boot. The grease stays put and makes everything run cooler.

As one poster mentioned, the FUTV A-Arm protectors that I got from Weller Racing provide all sorts of protection. However, it is always possible (I suppose) to get a jagged rock landing on the platter of the protector and bounce around and eventually contacting the boot. So I will use the thick FUTV plastic to mount some sort of mud flap material that further protects all exposed boots. The outer front boots already have a plastic protuberance that should protect it pretty well. And with the movement of the steering mechanism leaves little room for additional armor.
That was a very good video, what a great product, Yamaha should watch it !! Thanks for posting!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
831 Posts
Given the amount of work the CV joint does, I think this should be standard equipment.

I wonder how long this thin rubber diaphragm would last in that environment?

It is kind of like the Tube Works clutch oil mod. It keeps the lube from spinning out along the circumference and redirects grease back to the mechanism.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Ok, I got them installed. Very simple Velcro and zip ties, just don't do what I did, 2 sizes of zip ties come with it, two for the small side (small zip) and 2 foe the big side (bigger zip) I used the big ones on the first one and then had to get up and grab a larger one from my tool box. It was horrible :distress:

I will let you guys know how they hold up after next weekends ride

IMG_2229.JPG

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ok, I got them installed. Very simple Velcro and zip ties, just don't do what I did, 2 sizes of zip ties come with it, two for the small side (small zip) and 2 foe the big side (bigger zip) I used the big ones on the first one and then had to get up and grab a larger one from my tool box. It was horrible

[iurl="http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40586&d=1471315481"]
[/iurl]
It's funny how as soon as i read that you said it was horrible i got a vivid type image of that happening to me and my reaction :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ok, I got them installed. Very simple Velcro and zip ties, just don't do what I did, 2 sizes of zip ties come with it, two for the small side (small zip) and 2 foe the big side (bigger zip) I used the big ones on the first one and then had to get up and grab a larger one from my tool box. It was horrible :distress:

View attachment 40586

Got mine in today as well. Installed with just the velcro and then took the machine out and put 25 miles on it, up to 70mph in and out of 4wd. They stayed on fine. I ended up ziptying the small side but not the large side just as insurance against them falling off. They were fine when I got home though with just the velcro.

Really like these things. As easy a solution as dirtskins for the coilovers.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Are y'all buying four and using them in the rear?

Even with the coverage from my FUTV A-Arm guards I could see some exposure on the back axle from spray coming from the front.

The front outer boot seems to be well protected. The front inner is exposed but I could hang some mudflap off the front sway bar for good protection in that area.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts