Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gotta rant about all the peeps that claim that CVT clutches keep the engine in the optimum power range! There are so many wrongs about that claim, talk about drinking the koolaide....
Yes, CVT clutches are great in many ways but they are an automatic transmission utilizing a rubber belt and as such have their own pros and cons. This being said, they DO NOT always keep the engine in their peak power band! They up-shift and back-shift depending on load and RPM. The problem is that a CVT will only perform this way if it is setup well in the 1st place and then it must be continually maintained. For example; When was that last time you ever heard of anyone adding spacers to their clutch to account for belt wear? This is something that needs to be done or you end up being over geared...or also known as "long belt syndrome".
All I'm saying is that anyone that thinks CVT clutches are the best thing in regards to performance need to quit drinking the koolaide and learn more than what the dealer tells you! If you want to make the most of your Clutching setup then you need to read: Clutch Tuning Handbook, Olav Aaen, 1979.
OK, rant over...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hear you, but with all the declarations going on here, YXZ is better, more reliable, even talk about its going to be running down xpt's and xds', and no one even has one yet, you sure the kool aid is drank by those who like a cvt transmission? New machines are exciting, glad Yammie is coming into the game, but this is borderline fanatical. If it isn't superior in every way, and vastly, expectations are setting it up for failure, and NO ONE EVEN OWNS ONE YET. It's crazy IMO. Great clutching book btw. Used lots of AAEN goodies over the years, even developed a few thing for/with Olav back in the late 90's:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh, I most definitely agree with you in regards to the fact that no one has even driven in one in an area any larger than a football field yet they know all there is to know about it and how great it is, etc.
I feel that both type of transmissions are good it just kill me that some peeps think the manual is going to be slow and yada yada yada... Lol. I was really jacked when I had first heard it was going to be dct. Still happy with a straight manual as I don't mind shifting gears but there are times when it would be nice to have an automatic.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think this YXZ is going to be awesome, especially with huge boost on it. Stretch it out a hair, some long travel +4 upgrades, 300hp, and never tearing into a cvt cover to clean or change a belt. I'm in. All of my toys would be gear driven if it was an option. I don't mind the cvt's, I've had great luck in 20 years with them. Only blew one belt in that time, and it was my fault. Nice to have a choice now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
have you ever even drove a side by side DV8ted???? watch the rpm when you floor it and hold it wide open and you will see that it goes to 8600rpmish and stays there until you start reaching top speed. they dont shift gears they are CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE (CVt)!!! that means it is constantly adjusting the pullys to keep the engine at peak hp... you can adjust weights and springs to adjust the rpm you determine your machine makes peak power even. Do your homework before you start making statements that are not true and don't make sense!

and i do not think cvts are the best way for gearing and clutching because they do rob hp and make allot of heat and have a high rate of failure... i'm just sick of people thinking that this yxz is going to some how beat a rzr in a drag race when they weight approx. the same and the rzr puts more power to the ground (dyno proven already) and the rzr does a much better job of keeping that peak power to the ground than someone who is shifting through gears.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think it's funny anybody even cares that a NA Yami won't beat a turboed RZR or Bombardier.
Who cares, it's apples to oranges.
The Yami as it sits should be extremely capable, reliable and an absolute blast to tear around while shifting.
Thanks for putting a little more fun into the SXS world Yami!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ive never had a belt problem with my cvt vehicles. As far as I see it polaris wins for now. Everybody is saying they dont care about a drag race but thats all every body was saying bfor the dyno results came in that the yamaha was a rzr killer well guess what its NOT!!! Plus its lacking in suspension compared to xpk1000 SORRY GUYS

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ive never had a belt problem with my cvt vehicles. As far as I see it polaris wins for now. Everybody is saying they dont care about a drag race but thats all every body was saying bfor the dyno results came in that the yamaha was a rzr killer well guess what its NOT!!! Plus its lacking in suspension compared to xpk1000 SORRY GUYS

How do you know its lacking in suspension when compared to the XPK1 ? How do you know it wont out run an XPK1? You make these statements like they are the facts.

While some people get more mileage than others,
the facts are, belts as a general rule, are not as durable as a gear stack and clutch.

Polaris may win for you, but not everyone sees it that way. The Yamaha hasn't even had a chance to show what it can do. There is no denying that Yamaha has a proven track record of building some very reliable products across the board. That alone has value when evaluating a product beyond the dyno numbers.

Just for the record, I stand behind what I have said that I still feel the Yamaha will outrun the stock XPK1 and Can Am, not that a drag race is the litmus test or anything.

Tim

·
Registered
106 Posts
Who cares?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
have you ever even drove a side by side DV8ted???? watch the rpm when you floor it and hold it wide open and you will see that it goes to 8600rpmish and stays there until you start reaching top speed. they dont shift gears they are CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE (CVt)!!! that means it is constantly adjusting the pullys to keep the engine at peak hp... you can adjust weights and springs to adjust the rpm you determine your machine makes peak power even. Do your homework before you start making statements that are not true and don't make sense!

and i do not think cvts are the best way for gearing and clutching because they do rob hp and make allot of heat and have a high rate of failure... i'm just sick of people thinking that this yxz is going to some how beat a rzr in a drag race when they weight approx. the same and the rzr puts more power to the ground (dyno proven already) and the rzr does a much better job of keeping that peak power to the ground than someone who is shifting through gears.
Your comment is the exact reason I said what I did, there's more to than just weights and springs and staying at just a certain rpm... Go read some and then come back and I'll be happy to have a conversation with you about clutching. I've been tuning them for the last 25+ years on sleds. I'd suggest anything by Olav Aaen, the guy is a CVT clutching genius!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think this YXZ is going to be awesome, especially with huge boost on it. Stretch it out a hair, some long travel +4 upgrades, 300hp, and never tearing into a cvt cover to clean or change a belt. I'm in. All of my toys would be gear driven if it was an option. I don't mind the cvt's, I've had great luck in 20 years with them. Only blew one belt in that time, and it was my fault. Nice to have a choice now.
I'd like to ride in that!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Your obviously missing the point... Forget how the power is getting to the ground because all that really matters is the power at the ground which is what a Dyno messures. A rzr xp1k on the Dyno has a very steep upward curve that gets flat at the top for a long time where the yxz has a gradual incline that peaks and rolls over. this is power at the wheels so forget how it got there. The rzr not only has more peak power at the wheels the peak is allot wider than the yxz because the cvt is keeping the engine at optimum rpm range. You cannot keep a yxz at optimum rpm range with a 5 speed because the gears are spaced enough that rpm will change atleast 2k or more with each shift. This is a very easy concept to understand... More power to the wheels without the dips in power from shifting, I explained this to my wife last night and she could understand it. Lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Your obviously missing the point... Forget how the power is getting to the ground because all that really matters is the power at the ground which is what a Dyno messures. A rzr xp1k on the Dyno has a very steep upward curve that gets flat at the top for a long time where the yxz has a gradual incline that peaks and rolls over. this is power at the wheels so forget how it got there. The rzr not only has more peak power at the wheels the peak is allot wider than the yxz because the cvt is keeping the engine at optimum rpm range. You cannot keep a yxz at optimum rpm range with a 5 speed because the gears are spaced enough that rpm will change atleast 2k or more with each shift. This is a very easy concept to understand... More power to the wheels without the dips in power from shifting, I explained this to my wife last night and she could understand it. Lol
Truth and common sense is not going to sell on this forum. If The YXZ was the one with the cvt and the RZR had the clutch the masses would be cheering you on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hate to tell you, I didn't care if it was faster than any of them, I want to have some fun while cruising the desert.
As far as the suspension, I doubt anybody really knows what it's totally like until they get it out and use it for their intended purpose.
I'm willing to bet I don't change much for my use.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Mickley.28, I understand what you're saying although IMHO, I don't think there is going to as big of a discrepancy as you're saying regarding the change in RPM and this motor is known for it's pretty flat torque curve. Personally I don't really give a chit which one is faster!! At this point no one knows anyway.
My point with my rant is that I get tired of peeps going on about how great a CVT system is over a manual, they both have pros/cons. CVT clutches are far from perfect and require ongoing maintenance to keep operating at peak performance. There are many factors that can contribute to the degrading performance of a CVT system. For example: A change in elevation, worn belt, bigger tires, additional load (weight), dirty clutches, etc... This being said, the manual transmission will continue to perform at peak performance for far longer with far less opportunity of leaving you stranded due to a failed part (usually a blown belt).
Oh, and yes I have ridden a SxS. As a matter of fact I have ridden/driven all the major brands except the Yamaha Rhino. I'm not really sure why it matters that I have or haven't. A CVT system is a CVT system. Snowmobiles have been utilizing them decades...just sayin'...

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think it's funny anybody even cares that a NA Yami won't beat a turboed RZR or Bombardier.
Who cares, it's apples to oranges.
The Yami as it sits should be extremely capable, reliable and an absolute blast to tear around while shifting.
Thanks for putting a little more fun into the SXS world Yami!
I want to see the Yami vs. n/a rzr1k, thats the fair race with no turbo on the yami

·
Registered
121 Posts
Gotta rant about all the peeps that claim that CVT clutches keep the engine in the optimum power range! There are so many wrongs about that claim, talk about drinking the koolaide....
Yes, CVT clutches are great in many ways but they are an automatic transmission utilizing a rubber belt and as such have their own pros and cons. This being said, they DO NOT always keep the engine in their peak power band! They up-shift and back-shift depending on load and RPM. The problem is that a CVT will only perform this way if it is setup well in the 1st place and then it must be continually maintained. For example; When was that last time you ever heard of anyone adding spacers to their clutch to account for belt wear? This is something that needs to be done or you end up being over geared...or also known as "long belt syndrome".
All I'm saying is that anyone that thinks CVT clutches are the best thing in regards to performance need to quit drinking the koolaide and learn more than what the dealer tells you! If you want to make the most of your Clutching setup then you need to read: Clutch Tuning Handbook, Olav Aaen, 1979.
OK, rant over...
and how many years old is that? why don't you do some research before you even think a manual could beat a built set up with a CVT? look at the race sleds, what do you think they have in them? look at the 300+whp RZR's at the four stroke wars, even the busa's can't touch them or the Gixxers , stock on stock yes they loose power because they are set up for everyone and not for racing, but built correctly , there is no manual that would even touch them, the time it takes you to even let out the clutch they would be 20 car links away , look at top fuel , you think they are manual , you guys are smoking something !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts