Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a stupid question but I am seriously in the market right now and trying my best to figure out what to buy. Has anyone regretted buying a YXZ instead of the Can Am Maverick x3? I am only asking because I am torn. The X3 is very appealing to me. But, I think that I might miss being able to shift gears. That, and I have raced motocross since I was 5 years old, and I have had countless motocross bikes, and Yamaha was always pretty much bulletproof. They were definitely on par with Honda as far as reliability goes. And the last thing that kind of freaks me out is the whole belt issue. I know people say that they have never had to change a belt, but I have friends who work as a mechanic at a Can Am dealership, and they rant and rave to not buy a Can Am because they aren't reliable and cost twice as much to maintain/fix. I want to get the Can Am, but I bleed Blue. Please help me make my mind up, lol.

·
Registered
283 Posts
It all depend on the riding you do....

I have an RZR but am seriously considering trading for a YXZ.

Like the CanAm, the Polaris has the rubber band issues - and I always carry a spare.

I think that the Yamaha would be a better ride were it not for the inappropriately high (for my use) gearing and subsequent clutch issues. So I would have to factor in the general price to change PLUS cost and faff of a Tube Works gearbox kit (the official Yamaha kit is not even listed here in the UK). To round off my woes, I'd also have to trade up to a longer trailer!

So, like all vehicles, they are compromises. You just have to answer for yourself where you want your compromise to be. When you've done that, you'll know what to buy.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Huge Yamaha fan here since the 70’s. That and I just can’t do rubber bands any more. All my dune riding group is drunk on the Can Am cool-aide right now, but I remain a proud dissenter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I love my YXZ. Shifting makes it fun and keeps me engaged. But, there has been a few times where I was frustrated and watched my rzr buddies do things that o struggled with. But that quickly went away when I took it back to the desert. The yxz has it place and you can put some money into it and pretty much do what the rzrs do. I have not put the gear reduction in but have considered it. If you do a lot of slow crawly trails then I would consider it.

I have friends hat have the new X3 and I have friends with rzr turbos. None of them so far have had problems. But they also take care of them and drive them correctly. All good choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have no regrets wit my YXZ purchase. But I drove a YXZ a year before my purchase and waited until the aftermarket companies came out with mods to fix the short comings in which I desired to fix (gearing). In Alaska I imagine you will be driving in some rough nasty terrain, mud/muskeg and what have you and think without doing gear reduction and bigger tires it won't work very well for you. The radiator also has a tendency to get plugged easily when in the mud and cause over-heating issues.The yxz also doesn't have a low range where a X3 does. The X3 trail edition now has a locker front diff to fix it's short comings. It also works very well in the rough & nasty. 24" of travel and 172hp but it does have a rubber band and your going to have to change it periodically. You basically have to weigh the pros & cons to figure what works best for you. Both are awesome machines.

·
Registered
867 Posts
NO REGRETS WHAT SO EVER!!! The Yxz is AWESOME!!! To me it was that 3rd peddle and the name Yamaha that is what did it for me... Then the price and the look... I have owned Yamaha products just about my whole life and loved each and every one of them... I was sooooo glad that Yamaha was the one that came out with the manual shift,,, I paid $15,000 for my Yxz hell that was just alittle more then what I paid for my Rhino back in 2010 lol... Don't get me wrong I like the X3 but if I would of bought one it would of cost me around $33,000+ just to get it to where I like it and that's without tax lol... No way I know I made the right choice with getting the Yxz over anything out there... So I would say Yxz all the way

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I just returned from a 4 day trip in Moab, Utah. There were 2 X3's in our group. I have never owned a Can Am of anything. I don't like the long nose compared to the YXZ, it is great to see right in front of you in the YXZ as you hit obstacles. As a general observation, no comparison when it comes to quality fit and finish. The WOW factor with the YXZ is never ending, a CVT style transmission cannot compare with it comes to just plain FUN!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have no regrets! I can tell you my buddy told me after we just went to Moab, "I should have got one of those Yamaha's" as he now regrets his buying decision of a 900xp.:eek:range:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 17 YXZ 1000rSS and also a X3 Max XRS, my YXZ has MPI turbo, GYTR Reduction, 30's all the way around, and some other work, and I just ordered an X3 RC to replace the YXZ. I went with the 70/30 gear reduction, and am not happy with the performance unless I'm in he pipe. I ride Colorado 50% of the time, 30% in Moab and 20% in the sand, and with that mix of riding the CVT is a better solution in my opinion. I think they are both great machines, but Yamaha didn't do much justice with the gearing issues. My X3 is tuned and running 32's and have never had a belt issue, and just had the Can Am hp upgrade to the new HP belt, and have no reason to believe I'll have trouble with that. I think the fit and finish is comparable, and it is what you want to ride, that is what really matters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Depends on the type of riding you do, I live in Socal so 99% of my riding is open desert and sand, so all high speed stuff. Tried slow technical rock crawling with my buddy who has a rzr1000 and I absolutely hated having to work the clutch while trying to get over rocks.

1st gear on stock gearing and I have 30" mongrels so its wayyyyy too fast for technical stuff, but I absolutely love it in open desert and sand where I can just pin it.

So if you're doing slower technical stuff, I would consider something with a cvt and a belt. Wide open pedal to the floor and I would definitely pick the yxz, banging gears and going fast is a rush compared to just pushing the skinny pedal and leaning back

Also, highly suggest harnesses right away. 1st time I ever drove a utv I flipped it in 10 minutes lol. And I've ridden quads my whole life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
It all depend on the riding you do....

I have an RZR but am seriously considering trading for a YXZ.

Like the CanAm, the Polaris has the rubber band issues - and I always carry a spare.

I think that the Yamaha would be a better ride were it not for the inappropriately high (for my use) gearing and subsequent clutch issues. So I would have to factor in the general price to change PLUS cost and faff of a Tube Works gearbox kit (the official Yamaha kit is not even listed here in the UK). To round off my woes, I'd also have to trade up to a longer trailer!

So, like all vehicles, they are compromises. You just have to answer for yourself where you want your compromise to be. When you've done that, you'll know what to buy.
That's what I am trying to figure out. I love in Alaska, so reliability is the biggest thing. You get 20-30 miles out in the bush and break down, you are in a bad situation. Im not a mud guy at all so I won't be doing any mud bogging. It's mostly going to be berm tracks and climbing mountains. But it's not tight or steep mountain trails. It's more wide open, faster mountain trails. So the taller gearing won't be a issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have no regrets wit my YXZ purchase. But I drove a YXZ a year before my purchase and waited until the aftermarket companies came out with mods to fix the short comings in which I desired to fix (gearing). In Alaska I imagine you will be driving in some rough nasty terrain, mud/muskeg and what have you and think without doing gear reduction and bigger tires it won't work very well for you. The radiator also has a tendency to get plugged easily when in the mud and cause over-heating issues.The yxz also doesn't have a low range where a X3 does. The X3 trail edition now has a locker front diff to fix it's short comings. It also works very well in the rough & nasty. 24" of travel and 172hp but it does have a rubber band and your going to have to change it periodically. You basically have to weigh the pros & cons to figure what works best for you. Both are awesome machines.
There is a lot of boggy trails with muskeg, but I won't be going there. I live in the part of Alaska where the trails are in the mountains, or dry river beds. One of them ends at a glacier. That trail/riverbed is the one I'm most looking forward to. I'm sure I will also take it to the motocross tracks I would imagine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 65 Posts