Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening good folks of YXZtalk! I have been searching for tents for weekend trips with my girlfriend and our pitbull with the YXZ and have not found much in regards to my goals.

Basically put we would like to be elevated from the ground without breaking the bank and figured finding an elongated (rectangle) shaped tent with a front entrance would be possible. What I would like to accomplish is using the trailer as the base floor for the tent, my trailer is going to be a 6.5 x 12' with dove tail so realistically maybe 8 foot of the length would be usable (trailer is custom order and still being built). In all my searching the closest thing I have found to getting a tent like this is from Kodiak Canvas or just a basic Coleman. Now obviously I know we could go with a smaller 2 person tent and accomplish this but with the dog that would be really tight and to add to the difficulty we are wanting to squeeze either a double-wide or queen mattress inside.

I am all for giving the Kodiak a shot but the issue with it and most other's I have seen is it is a side entrance. Why is it so hard to find a front entrance within these dimensions or am I just not looking hard enough?

I have entertained the idea of going for a truck tent but those are expensive and my truck is small (Tacoma).

Thanks to anyone who could help me out with this!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Back in my quad riding days, we bought some plastic electric conduit and a tarp and made a covered wagon on our trailer. This worked pretty good and was cheap. We just flexed the conduit down in the stake pockets on both sides. Threw the tarp over and tied it down. I could see with a little fore thought how you could do windows and doors and have the whole use of the trailer. Might be something to look into if you are tenting anyway.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
A buddy of mine also did a wall tent for his trailer, he sets it up when I have ride parties out at my property. It works real good, the frame is made out of 1" sch. 40 plastic pipe that he pushes together and has a 45* roof on it. He bought nice canvas tarps at Tractor Supply and mocked it up at home on the trailer and pulled one tarp from one side over the roof and down the other side to the bottom. He then traced out the ends and just did a simple lap stich to sew in the ends and did a zipper on one end. He sets up the roof frame and puts it in the tent then with some help raises it and installs the legs, they go in brackets he welded on the sides of the trailer. It looks real good and works great. I have a RV set up out there with electric, so last year he cut in a window frame and installed a AC unit and just runs power from my main box. He has less than 300 bucks in the whole thing and most of that was the heavy canvas tarps he went with. If he had it done at a shop, it would have been over 2 grand, that's what I paid for a boat top last year and it's not nearly as big.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Back in my quad riding days, we bought some plastic electric conduit and a tarp and made a covered wagon on our trailer. This worked pretty good and was cheap. We just flexed the conduit down in the stake pockets on both sides. Threw the tarp over and tied it down. I could see with a little fore thought how you could do windows and doors and have the whole use of the trailer. Might be something to look into if you are tenting anyway.
A buddy of mine also did a wall tent for his trailer, he sets it up when I have ride parties out at my property. It works real good, the frame is made out of 1" sch. 40 plastic pipe that he pushes together and has a 45* roof on it. He bought nice canvas tarps at Tractor Supply and mocked it up at home on the trailer and pulled one tarp from one side over the roof and down the other side to the bottom. He then traced out the ends and just did a simple lap stich to sew in the ends and did a zipper on one end. He sets up the roof frame and puts it in the tent then with some help raises it and installs the legs, they go in brackets he welded on the sides of the trailer. It looks real good and works great. I have a RV set up out there with electric, so last year he cut in a window frame and installed a AC unit and just runs power from my main box. He has less than 300 bucks in the whole thing and most of that was the heavy canvas tarps he went with. If he had it done at a shop, it would have been over 2 grand, that's what I paid for a boat top last year and it's not nearly as big.
These are good ideas! I have some thoughts in my head of how I would want something like this done, I will have to wait until I get my trailer and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the ideas! Zilla - Has he used his setup in a rain situation? That would be my only concern.

View attachment 113540
I used this a couple of times, it is a two person cot tent.
This could also work, I didn't even know they made tents like that. Thanks

·
Registered
976 Posts
I did my share of tent camping in the desert and had some good times it all goes south when the wind blows . So what ever you come up with make it strong and tie it off good . Make some reed bar tent spikes not the little junk that comes with the tent

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
These are good ideas! I have some thoughts in my head of how I would want something like this done, I will have to wait until I get my trailer and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the ideas! Zilla - Has he used his setup in a rain situation? That would be my only concern.

This could also work, I didn't even know they made tents like that. Thanks
Yes he has, it sheds water like a duck's ass. The canvas he bought was treated, part of the reason the tarps were so expensive, that and he opted to use a heavy canvas, I think it's a 12 oz. canvas. Kinda smelled like a new tarp for awhile so he left it set up at home for a week to air out and it works great for him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What kind of tent do you want? I also use a tent when I go too long term traveling, the pic is shown below, I bought this one from Reecoupons.com because my family is small so its very suitable for up when you wanna something more space than search there I hope you will find.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wanted to throw up a little update. We tested out camping off the trailer this past weekend and it really wasn't bad at all minus the heat. I found this little tent on amazon, it is simple to setup and can be used literally in any scenario where you atleast have trees, sticks or rocks. I just cut some 1x2 boards down and popped a screw in the top and used that for the main supports.

It is the River Country Products Trekker, cost me $50 and has a 7 x 5' footprint - just big enough to accommodate a cheap queen air up mattress.

IMG_20190729_083232 by Robert Pfeil, on Flickr

IMG_20190729_083247 by Robert Pfeil, on Flickr

IMG_20190729_083313 by Robert Pfeil, on Flickr

IMG_20190729_083323 by Robert Pfeil, on Flickr

IMG_20190729_083333 by Robert Pfeil, on Flickr

IMG_20190729_083257 by Robert Pfeil, on Flickr

·
Registered
139 Posts
I’ve always thought it would be awesome to weld up a small 2nd story frame above the trailer that goes into the side rails that would allow me to mount a cvt rooftop tent. I would either do it far forward on the trailer,or high enough I could still park the Yxz under.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’ve always thought it would be awesome to weld up a small 2nd story frame above the trailer that goes into the side rails that would allow me to mount a cvt rooftop tent. I would either do it far forward on the trailer,or high enough I could still park the Yxz under.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That would be pretty legit! I actually considered designing something but quickly realized it would be a an expense that could be better absorbed into gear reduction or other mods. I don't mind tent camping and someday maybe a toy hauler will be a possibility.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts