Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with my local dealer-- He had called me because on the books for a light install and double whips-- he said that even if Im running dual batteries the alt wont charge them both and it will be a problem-- does anyone know this stuff!?? I run double batteries in my other toys which seems to work fine-- any and all help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well if I had mine I could give you the perfect answer I have the equipment to measure the stator output and voltage and have everything turned on in the yxz and know what is left over in amps available for other accessories but I think it's not much Yamaha gave us :(

Now if you run your lights and whips they are not going to be working at peak specs's and your dual battery's are going to discharge plus not get fully charged to 100% and the life of your battery's will be less and less as they keep getting discharged over and over now if you don't ride to long at night and draw the battery's down very little like desertdog said this can be your battery recovery time but this if the stator can put enough voltage and amps out to the two discharged battery's and you ride long enough during day time to charge battery's back up to 100% = 12.7 volts.

I would add the alternator kit then you would never have to worry and can ride all night :D

I hope this helps and enjoy the new toy :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
So the alternator output is roughly 480 watts, the same as a rzr 800. I ran 4 HID offroad lights, 2 lit whips,intercom with a 50 watt radio without any issues. I would think an LED light bar and a couple of whips would be no issue. Usually the dual battery crowd is running stereos that will kill every battery you mount.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
So the alternator output is roughly 480 watts, the same as a rzr 800. I ran 4 HID offroad lights, 2 lit whips,intercom with a 50 watt radio without any issues. I would think an LED light bar and a couple of whips would be no issue. Usually the dual battery crowd is running stereos that will kill every battery you mount.
I hope your right. It also depends on what LED light your running. They all draw a diferent amt of watts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man I hope this is correct-- I guess we'll find out soon enough! Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well if I had mine I could give you the perfect answer I have the equipment to measure the stator output and voltage and have everything turned on in the yxz and know what is left over in amps available for other accessories but I think it's not much Yamaha gave us :(

Now if you run your lights and whips they are not going to be working at peak specs's and your dual battery's are going to discharge plus not get fully charged to 100% and the life of your battery's will be less and less as they keep getting discharged over and over now if you don't ride to long at night and draw the battery's down very little like desertdog said this can be your battery recovery time but this if the stator can put enough voltage and amps out to the two discharged battery's and you ride long enough during day time to charge battery's back up to 100% = 12.7 volts.

I would add the alternator kit then you would never have to worry and can ride all night :D

I hope this helps and enjoy the new toy :D
Where do you live!? If youre in so cal Ill gladly bring you mine and we can solve this issue--;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Im not sure what the 2nd battery kit includes (my dealer couldnt even give me more info vs online) what I plan to do is get a battery isolator and second battery.
a battery isolator goes between both batteries, splitting them into primary and secondary, once the primary is charged it then allows the secondary to take a charge. All accessories are wired to the secondary and only draw from that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sorry I'm not close to SoCal but I will see if I can put this in words to help and maybe have some options :D

If the yxz has a 480 watt stator lets say at 14.3 DC = 33 peak amps @ say 3000 rpm's now we don't know what is left over how many amps the engine control unit or power steering or factory headlights / tail light or gauge cluster is pulling the yxz is not the same as the rzr so you can not compare the two unless you know the numbers and the Yamaha engineers made the alternator kit available for a reason the yxz might have a bigger power usage again we don't know until we know the correct numbers and the battery isolator is not going solve the problem and most are diode type isolator and there is additional voltage drop in the circuit between the charging source and the batteries you need a charging source that's able to keep up with the loads or else you will start discharging battery's and the stator may start running to hot and lead to a short life now if after market is able to make a bigger stator that could be a option or a sealed type alternator or maybe put K&N air filter wrap over the vented alternator to help keep sand out but let's hope Yamaha left us a stator with a few amps to work with and have a option ?

A option not the best setup but might work for some people with led lights would be a dual battery setup and have one battery as a agm deep cycle with your led's lights hooked up to it and it will run the led's for some time depending on the amp load then use a trik-L-start diversion charger this will slowly charge the deep cycle battery @ 5 amps max ( Note: if available from stator and at night but in the day time we could have it ? ) but again you will need to ride for a few hours to get the deep cycle battery back to 100% charge.

Note: Maybe need a toggle switch on the yellow wire of the trik-L-start if the charge drops on the oem Yamaha battery but I hope we have 5 amps to work with at night but in the day time you would turn on the trik-L-start to start charging your deep cycle battery @ 5 amps max if available.

Ultra TRIK-L-START Battery Charger/Maintainer

Wires yellow to oem yamaha battery and blue to agm deep cycle battery

·
Registered
67 Posts
From my understanding the "ultra trik-l-start" is almost the same thing as what I know a battery isolator to be, with the exception that the trick-l-start is constantly drawing from the primary (yellow wire) to charge the secondary (blue wire). Without the installation of a toggle switch like you suggested.
If the YXZ is like the common car the battery is used for starts, a buffer for the charging system (alternator, stator, generator) and storage. The primary and factory electrical components are actually ran by the charging system once the battery returns to a full charge. so if a second battery is added and the original is only used for starts couldn't we get away an isolator?

Please correct me if I am wrong, this if from my knowelage and thought process, and I am here to learn.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GWS and Dirt Rocket-- Great Write ups!! Im having my light bar and whips installed tomorrow-- I'll get back to both of you after the install-- Thanks so much!

·
Registered
348 Posts
From my understanding the "ultra trik-l-start" is almost the same thing as what I know a battery isolator to be, with the exception that the trick-l-start is constantly drawing from the primary (yellow wire) to charge the secondary (blue wire). Without the installation of a toggle switch like you suggested.
If the YXZ is like the common car the battery is used for starts, a buffer for the charging system (alternator, stator, generator) and storage. The primary and factory electrical components are actually ran by the charging system once the battery returns to a full charge. so if a second battery is added and the original is only used for starts couldn't we get away an isolator?

Please correct me if I am wrong, this if from my knowledge and thought process, and I am here to learn.

Hi GWS,

Your not wrong and yes a isolator could be used but it might not be the best way to go and this is hard to put in words but we might have ( low amps to work with ) just remember we don't know what the true stator amp output is yet but it might be low why else would Yamaha offer this alternator kit and say you need it for led light bar.

Trucks & RV's work with dual battery's and a isolator well because we have high amp output alternator to do the job and yes the yxz has the alternator option so yes a isolator would work in this setup if a guy wanted to setup it up this way.

On the stock yxz stator with say 33 amps peak and using a battery isolator you would have the alternator charge wire going to the middle post of the isolator and the internal diodes in the isolator are going to each battery and this will give you a voltage drop to your battery's when we need ever bit of help to charge the battery's the voltage is the pushing force plus the trik-L-start will not have a voltage drop to your main power system but it can only put out 5 amps max back to the aux battery but remember we might only have 5 or less amps to work with on the stock low amp stator.

So lets say that the yxz battery is now fully charged and it takes say 28 amps to keep all the electrical yxz components working and headlights are on and we know we have 33 amps total so we now have 5 amps available this can go to the aux battery this is why the trik-l-start would be the better choice.

So lets say that the yxz battery is now fully charged and it takes say 15 amps to keep all the electrical yxz components working and headlights on and we know we have 33 amps so we now have 18 amps available this can run the led roof light bar pulling 10 amp load and still have 8 amps and battery's would not draw down and stay fully charged and a guy could use a isolation solenoid between battery's if he wanted battery separation and yes a isolator would work better in these amp conditions.

So lets say that the yxz battery is now fully charged and it takes say 28 amps to keep all the electrical yxz components working and headlights are on and we know we have 33 amps total so we now have 5 amps available this can go to the aux battery but wait we have a 10 amp led light bar pulling down the aux deep cycle battery and only can feed it 5 amps so we are slowly discharging the aux battery it OK we are only ridding for say 2 hour tonight now if I shut off the yxz and start the motor backup now I may want to recharge the starting battery it needs the 5 amps to get the battery back up to 100% but the aux battery wants amps and the led light bar wants amps and this is why the toggle switch option you can shut down trik-l-start for aux charging and charge you main battery backup to 100% and when it's day time you can start recharging your aux battery to 100% as you ride.

I hope I made this clear in word to help under stand more :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
GWS and Dirt Rocket-- Great Write ups!! Im having my light bar and whips installed tomorrow-- I'll get back to both of you after the install-- Thanks so much!
Cool keep us updated and congrats :D

And if you can see what your DC voltage reading is before lights are turn on and then recheck it with all the lights turned on @ idle and higher rpm's and see if the voltage starts dropping and maybe recheck after say 20 minutes driving and working the power steering.

And do you have the dual battery's or one ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you are not adding the alternator kit and want dual battery setup and the stator is putting out a charge voltage 13.0 + I think this is the best way using automatic charging relay and then if the charge voltage drops to 12.75 it will disconnect from the aux battery powering the led light bar and whips and this would save your starting battery and yes depending on the draw from the aux battery it would discharge but then in day time it would start recharging or if your charge voltage returns to 13.0+ it would reconnect and start charging the aux battery again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just got off the phone with my local dealer-- He had called me because on the books for a light install and double whips-- he said that even if Im running dual batteries the alt wont charge them both and it will be a problem-- does anyone know this stuff!?? I run double batteries in my other toys which seems to work fine-- any and all help is greatly appreciated
The stator is really, extremely weak.
It barely charges the one Motorcycle battery let along the dual battery set up.
It's like the old Rzr 800.
You can't Ricky Stator it nor rewind it,, nothing.
You need to add the alternator kit even if you only run lighted LED whips.
Yeah, it's that weak.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah, it's that weak.
why? no room? not doing it yet?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, it's that weak.
Its not. Im running dual lighted whips (smart whips) and a dual 40 inch curved bar-- It hasn't dropped under 13.2 even with the fan running.=)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts