Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok some guys have been asking about drilling there clutch hubs and here's what I did to mine. I bought my 2016 YXZ 3 pedal used with a blown clutch and as soon as I got it before installing the new OEM clutch plates and friction discs I put 20 holes in the clutch hub and also doubled the diaphragm spring with another YXZ stock one. I have 2800 km on the new clutch and I am not easy on the unit. I avoid slipping the clutch for a long period of time and drive through the rough stuff with out stopping. I have just pulled the clutch back apart to install a rekluse clutch to make it easier for my wife to drive and took pics of the mod and what the clutch plates look like after 2800 km. I have reinstalled the clutch and did not need to replace any clutch plates and disc. some blueish on the plates which means it did get hot but friction discs are not dry and still have a lot of material. here are some pics. I have added 12 more holes to the hub since the images. total of 32. now this is me experimenting with the hub and I know what could happen if it failed. so use at your own risk. but i can say those little holes will not weaken the clutch hub much if any.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok some guys have been asking about drilling there clutch hubs and here's what I did to mine. I bought my 2016 YXZ 3 pedal used with a blown clutch and as soon as I got it before installing the new OEM clutch plates and friction discs I put 20 holes in the clutch hub and also doubled the diaphragm spring with another YXZ stock one. I have 2800 km on the new clutch and I am not easy on the unit. I avoid slipping the clutch for a long period of time and drive through the rough stuff with out stopping. I have just pulled the clutch back apart to install a rekluse clutch to make it easier for my wife to drive and took pics of the mod and what the clutch plates look like after 2800 km. I have reinstalled the clutch and did not need to replace any clutch plates and disc. some blueish on the plates which means it did get hot but friction discs are not dry and still have a lot of material. here are some pics. I have added 12 more holes to the hub since the images. total of 32. now this is me experimenting with the hub and I know what could happen if it failed. so use at your own risk. but i can say those little holes will not weaken the clutch hub much if any.
View attachment 114634 View attachment 114635 View attachment 114636 View attachment 114637
We have a 2017 1000r ss paddle shift can this be done to our type as well?

·
Registered
39 Posts
What size drill bit did you use......also looks like you staggered the holes and drilled every 4th slot.....if I'm looking at this correctly. Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a 2017 1000r ss paddle shift can this be done to our type as well?
Hi Joann I'm not as familiar with the paddle shift but i would imagine the hub would be the same. maybe someone else could chime in on if the clutch hub is the same as a 3 pedal clutch hub.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What size drill bit did you use......also looks like you staggered the holes and drilled every 4th slot.....if I'm looking at this correctly. Thanks
Dudewasted I cant remember what drill bit I used but I can see if I have it written down for some reason 5/16 comes to mind but not 100%. As far as the staggered holes go I drilled each webbed sections with a total of 32 holes. Keep in mind the centre friction plates are the ones that receive less oil and what I did was stagger the holes so they are offset to get oil to as many friction plates as possible. Don't forget I also doubled the diaphragm spring. i have 4000 km on the clutch with absolutely no problems. The clutch issues these things have are basically driver error by slipping the clutch too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts