Yamaha YXZ Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, if this has been asked before, please point me in the right direction. I've worn out google, and search this site as well with no information. Hopefully this will help other in the state as well. I am looking to know the details on riding my side by side on the street in GA. I have many trails near me I'd like to go out on some days and go down them but it's a hassle to load it up, strap it down, drive two miles, and then unload it only to ride for 20 minutes. I'm not interested in riding down I-20/285 or really riding around town, but mainly just to get from the house to a trail. I don't currently get much use out of my SxS as I've been to busy to take a trip to go ride.

I've done research myself but I haven't really found anything of use. As many article will show, it seems that UTV are a grey area in Georgia. Some people have had luck registering them, some people have not. Some people get pulled over and show them certain paperwork, others have said it's still illegal and depends on the day the cop is having depends on the results. The YXZ seem to be classified as a Class II All-Terrain-Vehicle according to HB 795 (http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/20112012/118911.pdf) but this doesn't say anything about road use.

I've personally went riding with someone and passed 10+ Douglas county cops while on a road and not a single one even turned around (This is the only time I've done this). They also were on a man hunt, so they may have been preoccupied with more serious issues. I'd just like to get farther clarification before I start doing this, as I don't want to be the person who gets caught and gets the cop in the bad mood.

Short Summary: What are the laws for riding a UTV on the street in GA?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Someone did post a really good thread on here last year about this, it had a lot of really good factual information on this to get it street legal, registered and plates. I was considering it when I first got my YXZ, but they had information on states that had issued plates in the past but had since passed legislation that was going to overturn this and even revoke the ones that had been previously registered. I have since went the other way and this would not be a option any more. I'll kick the bushes a bit to see if I can locate it, but there is one in here.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have been trying to find out the same information for the state of Idaho, with about the same luck you have been having.
Some say they are legal on everything except numbered roads, others tell me they are legal anywhere as long as the speed limit is 45 or less.
I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than ask permission.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Give DMV a call they should be able to give you the scoop. May take a couple calls but they should be able to answer your questions. Here is a thread I started with regards to licensing my ride so I could drive in states that allow me to ride on roads other than freeways if licensed. California doesn't allow them on any road so this thread only covers if traveling in states that allow on road use.

http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/14-off...z-highway-arizonia-but-i-live-california.html

Reactions: Zilla

·
Registered
894 Posts
I’ve been looking into this as well, it would appear you don’t have to be a resident and can license them in South Dakota. See if this gets you anywhere, l haven’t checked past this yet but looks promising. EB16F3EB-C4CF-4FD6-8ADA-EE107A3740DF.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Give DMV a call they should be able to give you the scoop. May take a couple calls but they should be able to answer your questions. Here is a thread I started with regards to licensing my ride so I could drive in states that allow me to ride on roads other than freeways if licensed. California doesn't allow them on any road so this thread only covers if traveling in states that allow on road use.

http://www.yxztalk.com/forum/14-off...z-highway-arizonia-but-i-live-california.html
How do you know if they're allowed on roads? I'm guessing this is one question I should be calling the DMV and asking. I've been reading up on trying to get a tag or information for this dilemma for a while. It's surprising I can't find any information on getting a vehicle that will run 80+mph registered but people on a Moped can block traffic. Hopefully I can make some progress next week on this. I will try to keep this updated so that it can be referenced. I emailed a guy who has his rzr registered in Marietta, GA so hopefully I will hear back form him.

Georgia DMV Website (https://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/other-types-of-vehicles.php) states that ATV's & Offroad Vehicles don't need registration, but I still can't seem to find any information on what can be driven on the street.

·
Registered
274 Posts
How do you know if they're allowed on roads? I'm guessing this is one question I should be calling the DMV and asking. I've been reading up on trying to get a tag or information for this dilemma for a while. It's surprising I can't find any information on getting a vehicle that will run 80+mph registered but people on a Moped can block traffic. Hopefully I can make some progress next week on this. I will try to keep this updated so that it can be referenced. I emailed a guy who has his rzr registered in Marietta, GA so hopefully I will hear back form him.

Georgia DMV Website (https://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/other-types-of-vehicles.php) states that ATV's & Offroad Vehicles don't need registration, but I still can't seem to find any information on what can be driven on the street.
You sound like me. Bicycles can ride on streets and highways but I can't. Lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GA 40-7-5 states that laws can be adopted by the towns in order to regulate off-road vehicles times and zoning. From what I can find, Douglasville and Douglas County don't having any written in their ordinances about off-road vehicles. Seems everything I can find still is valid for the rzr article that first comes up when googling.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here is what I know (& I don't know much) I live in Iowa and have my YXZ titled in Iowa. I have South Dakota License plate (requires normal stuff to be street legal but no inspection) as non-resident using my home address in Iowa. I pay like $35 (may be $45??). I was recently in vehicle accident on a 2 lane Highway in Utah (made a left turn in front of pickup driven by guess who, a local sheriff and was broadsided). I was ticketed for turn on my regular driver license no problem. They took all the info and plate number off YXZ & so far no issues. I HAD insurance and so far no issue with them either.

This does not say that you will have no problems, but this was my experience. Remember Utah allows UTV on street and I had Plate. You have to deal with Recorders off in a South Dakota County and get it explained to them what you are looking for (which can be tough over phone), You have to have proof of sales tax paid, your state registration or title, and fill out a form showing what you have done to be street legal. If you go to say Union County South Dakota on line site, can probably find the form. South Dakota is a very UTV friendly state.

Good luck
Doug

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just want to find a Legal way in NY to pick up a pizza pie, get gas and get last minute grocery items with my YXZ. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I got an email response from a guy who lives near me and has his Rzr tagged. He said he used Sierra Title Service in Arizona so I have them a call. I have to get a few things together but I am going to send out my information to them in the next week or so to see what happens. Apparently they need a AZ address so I'm unsure about what was done there.

·
Registered
274 Posts
So I got an email response from a guy who lives near me and has his Rzr tagged. He said he used Sierra Title Service in Arizona so I have them a call. I have to get a few things together but I am going to send out my information to them in the next week or so to see what happens. Apparently they need a AZ address so I'm unsure about what was done there.
Sounds like he titled and licensed it in AZ which you can do if you have and AZ address. The beauty of titling and licensing it in SD is you don't need an address in SD to do it, you can use your address in the state you live to get a SD plate and license renewals will be sent to your home address. You can do everything via the internet yourself and don't need a service to do the work. Just saying, your choice.

Reactions: Moses439

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Sounds like he titled and licensed it in AZ which you can do if you have and AZ address. The beauty of titling and licensing it in SD is you don't need an address in SD to do it, you can use your address in the state you live to get a SD plate and license renewals will be sent to your home address. You can do everything via the internet yourself and don't need a service to do the work. Just saying, your choice.
how long did it take you to get it all done?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Apparently a random AZ address in the state was used by searching the interwebs. :apthy:

I've read about getting a tag from SD but I also read I'd have to pay sales tax on the YXZ which is a fairly big chunk. I will look into it more as it does sound much easier.

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you paid sales tax in the state you bought it you do not have to pay sales tax again. Only sales tax you might have to pay would be if your state sales tax rate is less than SD rate of 4%, then they will charge you the difference between the two rates. I had to pay the 4% rate in full because I purchase my car in Oregon and they don't have a sales tax.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm assuming it's legal to use plates from another state to drive on the road in Georgia since they're don't directly prohibit UTV's from being on the street? Also I don't think I paid sales tax on the YXZ as I bought it used.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm assuming it's legal to use plates from another state to drive on the road in Georgia since they're don't directly prohibit UTV's from being on the street? Also I don't think I paid sales tax on the YXZ as I bought it used.

No, its not really truly legal unless you are a resident of the state it is registered in and you are just visiting in Georgia. You would need to have a Driver's License from the state it is registered. You might get away with it for a little bit, or a long time. All depends on the cops in your area.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I can't answer you on if you'll be legal on the roads in Georgia with a SD plate as it depends on if Georgia allows SxS on the road or not. As to the whether you paid sales tax or not just call SD and tell them you want to license the car in SD and your vehicle is currently titled in Georgia. SD will be able to tell you if they will need to charge sales tax or not. They knew immediately that I hadn't paid sales tax on mine when I told them it was titled in Oregon. Should add in California every time you buy a vehicle new or used you have to pay sales tax on the purchase price. Biggest rip off ever but one of the great joys of living in California.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts